Vista as first OS + installing older OS = very bad

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I attempted to install XP as my second OS.. What did it do? Raped both windows and boot manager.. Looked on the internet that doing such thing breaks both Operation Systems.. Nice job Microsoft for doing this... -_-, anyone else had this before?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I went from XP with a Vista Update disk. Vista is designed to work with XP, not the other way around. DiebytheSword is right, old first, new second. That's why adults have babies.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Just as a point of order Sky, always install the older OSes first.
I know that, but I never knew it would actually break if I'd install XP after installing Vista.. I know now it overwrites the boot files of Vista.. Which I find stupid honestly. Microsoft should know about this problem and should fix it. Lucky, the bootrec file on the vista DVD fixed my problem, so I can access my Vista again.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Funny, blaming microsoft for your own lack of knowlage on the subject.
I've been in similiar situations, and just removing the MBR, and re-adding it did the job.

if that didn't work, I could of used "fixboot" from the recovery CD. ( the name says it all really )

just one question
why vista?
just because it "looks good"?
cause it works?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Funny, blaming microsoft for your own lack of knowlage on the subject.
I've been in similiar situations, and just removing the MBR, and re-adding it did the job.

if that didn't work, I could of used "fixboot" from the recovery CD. ( the name says it all really )

cause it works?
That may be true Prozac, it is me to blame of course. Even though, Microsoft could have easily fixed the problem as well, including through the setup phrase.. Even the "boot fix" through the setup didn't do the trick. It is their software after all.. But then again, XP is their "old" version, so I highly doubt they are even wanting to support it for Vista.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It was said that Microsoft forcing laptop companies to sell their laptops with Vista so it will better their profits, as well as I heard they started stop making XP for sale, or getting close to. They surely want to get rid of XP, even though Vista is bugged, ain't it?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have Vista, and even though I want XP with Vista, I'm not going to install it. Either way, just wait for some day, where vista will improve.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're getting rid of XP to focus all of their attention on Vista. I think it's both a good and bad thing.

Best answers
Will I run into the same problem if i delete the partition that vista is installed on, and reformat the hard drive? Because i really dont like vista and i want XP back =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you format it, it'll be cleared, and you can just install XP to it, no worries.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you've killed your boot files, go get yourself Super GRUB. It can fix these things in a flash. It saved me when I killed the laptop at work fiddling around trying to install Ubuntu onto my MP3 player...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like everything about vista but the slowdown on SOME games, it plays everything decent at least up to the HL2 era even on high settings, (which isnt bad for a 350$ computer).

but ill need to upgrade some **** before i wanna play anything better, AND vista (still onboard video >_>)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I say, just backup everything you can that you need, and just re-format the whole hard-drive. Then install XP, and then Vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom