Video Compression help.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I bought and installed that capture card I made the other topic about, but I ran into a little problem. I followed some tutorials and right now, it works fine. But in all the tutorials, they were able to set up the compression type on the video. That option is nowhere to be found in my Blackmagic Media Express, and I downloaded the latest version straight off the site.

Could I theoretically make my video files smaller after the actual recording? I know this might seem like a silly question, but since I'm actually recording HD right now, the file sizes are ridiculously huge. It's like 1,5 gigs for a minute of footage. It's raw HD and I'd like it to be smaller if possible.

Any halp? I tried the Blackmagic site but there's no forums that I know of, maybe someone here can help me out. :O

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the videos are AVI files, you can download compression software (like VirtualDUB for example) to compress the video while retaining decent quality.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What you want to do is download Quick Media Converter. I'm not sure if this will reduce the size but what we're gonna do is reduce the bit rate of the video. Also make sure you have XVID and one of the K-Lite Codec packs installed. I use the Full pack.
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com

Install it and open it up. Go click the Expert Button. Drag your video files into the program. What you want to do is go to the options below that list and click the "Video Options tab". Here are the settings that I use:
Codec: Msmpeg4v2
Format: AVI
Bitrate: 6000000 (Bitrate also depends how big your video and the length of it is. I usually use 10000000 so I don't get any artifacts but then might result to a bigger but smaller file size. 1GB of 1 minute raw footage might be down 250mb.)
Check "Don't encode audio"
Save your settings somewhere and start the conversion. It shouldn't take that long if you record your footage in short clips.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The link to SUPER that MC posted has been a tremendous help - it effectively crops my videos from 1080p to 720p, and cuts the size down to roughly 10% of the original file (!). Perfect for uploading on Youtube. The Metro 2033 gameplay video was 2,1 gigs when I recorded it, after putting it through SUPER it ended up being 197 mb. And as you can see, in very high quality as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmgyluZ5MCY

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best viewed in HD! Expect more to come. If anyone has suggestions of what I should record, let me know. :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

The wiring is a *****. Sometimes my feet get tangled. >_> I've demolished quite a few desk lamps that way, lol.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah I got the T260HD. Your monitor is exactly like mine without the RF inputs and the components inputs :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I should get an HD one since I'm recording in HD now as well. >_>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an okay monitor but it doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping on VGA or DVI. Only on RF, HDMI, and Component. Component isn't bad but it looks horrible when it filters out the noise even when you have it set off.

I'm still waiting for them do a damn patch for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.... I'll just stick with mine for now then, lawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom