Video Capture Slowness

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't used any of my video capturing software in awhile--and I booted it up, and while it displays the video at a decent speed, trying to capture it (whether by fraps, virtualdubmod, etc) is pretty slow. My computer is pretty fast (3GHz+), over a gig of RAM, an nvidia 7600GS video card, and it's a pretty efficient windows setup (only about 20ish processes running default). Not really sure why it's acting so slowly.. I've tried messing with my nvidia settings, but whether it's at default or performance, or quality.. doesn't make a noticable difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you have the program set to record at? If it is set to 20fps then that is what your computer will run at.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, my capture/playback program can run at either 30 or 60 fps. (Videoxpress something.) And I've tried setting fraps to the same amount--but it skips, and isn't smooth. I've tried all possible combinations of framerates.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In fraps, go to the Movies tab and where it says Half-Size and Full-Size, press Half-Size and there you go, it should work now. I had the same problem until I switched the Full-Size to Half-Size, and also you might want to compress the files to a lower format and delete the original since it does take alot of harddrive space and the original will playback a lot slower.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Its not your graphics card, The Geforce 7 series has Pure Video support. (Video acceleration).
Try looking for an update on you video capture software, and update the drivers.
Otherwise it could be just the nature of the device you bought?
I used to be able to do Video Capture on my Pentium 3 667
And occasionally there were choppiness present. Otherwise it ran great.
My laptop (Acer Aspire - Pentium M) - Has a PCMCIA TV Tuner card, and I can capture video with it, and it runs it like a dream.
So I would suggest its a Driver/Out dated software issue.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In fraps, go to the Movies tab and where it says Half-Size and Full-Size, press Half-Size and there you go, it should work now. I had the same problem until I switched the Full-Size to Half-Size, and also you might want to compress the files to a lower format and delete the original since it does take alot of harddrive space and the original will playback a lot slower.
I've already tried all the possible combinations--it doesn't really affect it. Compression isn't an issue--fraps barely compresses it at all. You have to do it yourself afterwards, but the point is I'm not getting to that stage yet.

Its not your graphics card, The Geforce 7 series has Pure Video support. (Video acceleration).
Try looking for an update on you video capture software, and update the drivers.
Otherwise it could be just the nature of the device you bought?
I used to be able to do Video Capture on my Pentium 3 667
And occasionally there were choppiness present. Otherwise it ran great.
My laptop (Acer Aspire - Pentium M) - Has a PCMCIA TV Tuner card, and I can capture video with it, and it runs it like a dream.
So I would suggest its a Driver/Out dated software issue.
I'm using the most updated software and drivers for the device. It used to work perfectly.. So I doubt it's the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom