VICTORY FOR THE UK POP CHARTS O/

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-machine-take-christmas-no1-slot-1846247.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

Rock band Rage Against the Machine ended Simon Cowell’s four year domination of the Christmas charts tonight after a hugely popular Facebook campaign helped the Los Angeles nu-metallers snatch the Christmas number one slot from X-factor’s Joe McEdlerry.

More than half a million people downloaded the band’s famously anti-authoritarian and expletive laden track “Killing in the Name” in what was seen as a broad protest against the increasing influence of manufactured pop music.

It is the first time a non-X-Factor song has made it to Christmas number one for four years and represents a major snub to the show’s creator Cowell who angrily described the campaign to him another number one slot as “very Scrooge”.
I did my bit o/

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Eh, I suppose I'd care more if the band in question was, you know, good. Unfortunately though, I loathe Rage.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like Rage against the Machine somewhat.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of us learned that no amount of rage will stop the machine when we became adults Oh snap!

All jokes aside, anything that puts Simon Cowell's panties in a twist is funny to me. If I had to pick any pop band to do it, I guess Rage would be somewhere up top. But next year we should organize the internet to vote in a local unsigned band just for ****s and giggles.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno, can't help feel some of you kinda missed the point... It wasn't really anything to do with Rage against the machine, or the song (the song they chose was a poor song to pick from their repertoire anyhow, and I'm not a huge fan of theirs either). It was about having something other than mediocre **** be number 1 at Christmas for a change, pop charts are extremely bad these-days, full of all this manufactured crap, it's nice to be able to make a statement about it, rather than being complacent and putting up with it. I mean, even the 80's and early 90's had more credible pop charts, and that's saying something.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, music these days is not honest anymore. Every single pop song makes use of the same ****ing formula, and though it has nothing to do with this topic, it basically turns eleven yeah old girls into little sluts. Anyway, it's good to see a band like ratm being number 1 for a change.

Sigh... the 90's, when ****ing was still for adults only.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"THEY RALLY 'ROUND YO FAMILY... WITH A POCKET FULL OF SHELLS!!!"

Rage 4 Life, yo

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why?

They're a innovative and talented band that combine various aspects of different cultures with their members' cultural and personal routes coming from some of societies most downtrodden people. All of their songs have political meanings and the band exists to push political agenda and create passion in young people. They constantly, especially during the elections, play for free at protests, marches and other political arena. They've been a fantastic informed voice for the minds of young people today, appealing to their feelings of discontent and anger to bring about vital social change.

They're intelligent, they have genuine intentions, and people are listening to them. What more could you want?
It's not like people have their own opinions or anything :p

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Big bucket of meeeeeh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom