Very basic map

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I decided to take a break from making the weird combination map and started to mess around with an idea I had in my head. I have a extremely bad habit of never finishing maps I started, which leaves me with over (last time I counted) 30 unfinished maps stored on my hard drive that I barely touch. Note that this map is not much, it's based off an idea I had in my head:

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/hammer 2006-06-06 06-50-52-70.JPG
Stadium.

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/hammer 2006-06-06 06-51-02-62.JPG
The whole map (don't have a skybox yet so disregard the blue background).

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/hammer 2006-06-06 06-51-13-43.JPG
Bottom of the hollow cylinder thing.

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/hammer 2006-06-06 06-51-20-45.JPG
Ground view of the whole tower thingy.

Like I said, it's not much, just an idea I had to put into application. Also, I'm waiting until I get the hang of making terrain and such with triangles, so it might be a while until I continue my other map, or if I decide to finish this one.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Holly **** that thing looks like its gona lagg.

How many faces do those cilynders have?

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

I figured it would cause a lot of lag, so I'm just going to use it as mapping practice.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, good idea, oh and did you hollow cilinders to do that? or carve cilinders? Well if so, don't, that is the worst thing to do in mapping, no offense, it looks good, but you'll get the weirdest problems when doing that, vertex is always the answer, there are some tutorials that show you how to make a cilinder using vertex manipulation, be sure to look around!

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
lol, good idea, oh and did you hollow cilinders to do that? or carve cilinders? Well if so, don't, that is the worst thing to do in mapping, no offense, it looks good, but you'll get the weirdest problems when doing that, vertex is always the answer, there are some tutorials that show you how to make a cilinder using vertex manipulation, be sure to look around!
Vertex isnt allways the anwser ^^

Vertex is the anwser when making terrain. But when making buildings Vertex can do more bad than good XD

Anyhow cut down the faces to 16. That shouldnt efect the look to mutch and it would reduce the lag.

Also it would be smart to make the cylinder that toutches the rgoudn a func_wall entity (use the tie to entity command)

Looking good though ^^

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
The only cylinder I hollowed was the base (the one that connects the ring to the ground).

You have no idea how many tutorials I have booked marked, I'm still working with the tutorial on how to make a hollow sphere using vertex manipulation and clipping (and making terrain out of triangles).

Grega said:
Vertex isnt allways the anwser ^^

Vertex is the anwser when making terrain. But when making buildings Vertex can do more bad than good XD

Anyhow cut down the faces to 16. That shouldnt efect the look to mutch and it would reduce the lag.

Also it would be smart to make the cylinder that toutches the rgoudn a func_wall entity (use the tie to entity command)

Looking good though ^^
I had no idea what was going through my head to make me chose 32 faces, I'm way too used to mapping in Source where you have less-stricter limitations. I tend to forget, but what does the func_wall actually do?

Theoboy said:
Looks good MC.
Thanks.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
hollowed spheres are hard to create >_<

well not exactly hard but it takes a while and its rather boring

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
the map is god, but i wonder how much lag will be thrown upon you

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
i would suggest to NEVER hallow a cylinder.. use the arch tool and make it a full circle, works better.. but it's always nice to avoid hallowing cylinders ^^

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
MC, instead of making a hollow sphere, you could do what I did and just download the .rmf of a map that already has one in it, copy, paste and resize as appropriate. Laziness ftw.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
imkongkong said:
i would suggest to NEVER hallow a cylinder.. use the arch tool and make it a full circle, works better.. but it's always nice to avoid hallowing cylinders ^^
Alright, I assume that you don't want to hollow a cylinder due to how many individual brushes it becomes made up of?

With the rings, I just created six cylinders, each cylinder I used to carve the other cylinders to make a ring. As I can tell, that isn't a good idea either since it creates a lot of individual brushes that make it up.

Ravendust said:
MC, instead of making a hollow sphere, you could do what I did and just download the .rmf of a map that already has one in it, copy, paste and resize as appropriate. Laziness ftw.
Wouldn't resizing it cause problems since a lot of vertext manipulation is used to make one?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
A holow cilinder O.O

OK i never tryed to make one but what about the holow tool ^^ Than just fix a vertex here and there you know ^^

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Wouldn't resizing it cause problems since a lot of vertext manipulation is used to make one?
Probably, I never finished that map and thusly never compiled it. Hammer didn't bring it up as an error or invalid brush, possibly because I resized every dimension equally.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, I've tried hollowing cilinders, and I got alot of errors, but I liked that cilinder thing you made, look very nice! I can give you some tutorials for vertexing cilinders, it's not hard, but like Ready said, it's extremely boring.

Best answers
one of the things that nobody realy does right is how in the cell games for example, during the fight the ring seemed to stretch on for miles

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
What does that have to do with this thread? I'm not making a Cell Games map, it's just some idea I had.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
one of the things that nobody realy does right is how in the cell games for example, during the fight the ring seemed to stretch on for miles
....?

Oh and MC, spealing about your map, have you updated it yet, or are you just gonna let this one go?

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm redoing it since the cylinders have too many faces and it will probably slow down the game. I'll see what I can do though since I have yet to test this map to see if it will cause any problems as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom