very basic help needed

alf

Best answers
hi,

I'm very new to esf [and online gaming altogether] and I have some trouble with some very basic stuff. [I read the FAQ and any other I found on the net]. I've installed everything according to the faq [halflife, update 1.1.1.0, esf11] and I'm trying to get the game to work so I can play against the computer as a start.
right now I start the game, create a lan game, in the console I type =, I select a player and I'm in the game. but there's nobody there, I mean the computer doesn't create any opponents to play against.
is there some document or howto that helps understand how to set up the game to do that?
also is there a document that can help me understand basic things such as what's the console for and the commands and what is to create a server etc.

cheers,

Alf

Best answers
why u play esf 1.1b? o_O do u downlaoded the esf 1.1 bots? if yes press = then the botmenu should open

alf

Best answers
I tried installing esf1.2 but it doesn't start. esf1.1 does so I used it.
I installed bots. it's called ESFBOTS_41 and did what you say. I start and press = and I get to the menu and all, but when I chose a character the game starts and there's nobody to fight against. it's like the menu doesn't give me an option to select opponents or whatever. isn't there some switch or something that tells the game to activate opponents in an offline game?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as far as i know, you need to use 3.0 bots for 1.1, but probably 1.2 doesnt start because you dont use steam, get it a www.steampowered.com and install it, then it 1.2 should work

alf

Best answers
Thanks cicorn, I'll look for 3.0 bots.
BTW the problem I have with 1.2 is that it insists I have to update halflife [saying the executable is outdated] and when I try to update it says there is none and quits to windows. anybody knows anything about that?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
are u sure you have 1.2.2 (or 1.2.3)? and make sure you use steam (you first need to make an account) or else you cant play esf since WON (the original online system) doesnt work anymore, and if you use steam you do not have to update half life with the 1.1.1.0

alf

Best answers
I had steam and had the same problem with the update thing.
does having steam has anything to do with ingame playing? I mean, isn't it for online games.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
steam is ment to be able to play online, if you dont want to play online, you can just use the old ingame hl system, but you have to use LAN if im right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom