Vegetarians

Best answers
I was reading the newspaper a couple of weeks back I recall, and there was a woman who starved herself to death because she refused to eat meat, and her husband said she wouldn't get a bite of anything else. Or something like that at least.

So that got me thinking, Why do people choose to be vegeterian? That basically means you can't eat any type of meat? Anyone here that is a veggie? If so, why did you become one?

I'm also writing an essay for my school paper on why people decide to become vegeterian, and what differences that makes in their/others lives.

My main question is then, Why do people become vegeterian(also what triggers it), and how does that affect their everyday routine? (I know the simplicity of that answer can be, "to spare more animal lives", but a reflection upon how their lives change would be nice too ;d).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Religion (wont go into this), and simply the choosing of not to, is what I have experienced.

One of my friends, didn't eat meat, because he didn't like the thought of the animals being cut up, grinded, cooked etc etc.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Well I can somehow still understand when someone chooses to not eat meat and such but there are even "worse" types ... the likes who even refuse to eat ANYTHING that comes from animals like milk producs and such
Really, a life without cheese is no life >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
Well I can somehow still understand when someone chooses to not eat meat and such but there are even "worse" types ... the likes who even refuse to eat ANYTHING that comes from animals like milk producs and such
o/ Amen, brutha~

I personally could never give up meat, I just love it too much.

But I do admire the willpower vegetarians have.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people have overactive consciences and decide that by not eating meat, they aren't being bad people. I say eat meat.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my youngr years I was aloud to eat all meat except for pig based products like bacon or pork chops. A lot of the people I use to be around in my younger years use to be veggie too (at this time in my life my mum kept taking me to a seven day adventist church).

I can see why some people will choose to be a veggie head. Most meat is also cooked in oil which will make people fat too, hence why I try to avoid fast food a lot of the time since I can easily break out with acne (oily food being once such cause of acne breakouts). I myself will make sure I grill my meat and not have it cooekd in oil (such as putting chicken burger patties under the grill).

There are a lot of alternitave foods to meat that Vegetarians will eat such as various nuts and such, but in the end I still don't get why they don't eat meat. No matter where you go there will always be a meat based dish served in restruants, and fast food is the god of meat I guess you could say O/.

KyoKusanagi

K
Both of my housemates are vegetarian for moral reasons (Animal cruelty etc) and will not eat:

- Any meat
- Foods with animal content (milk and dairy is fine - no fats or flavours)
- Certain cheeses with rennet
- Foods fried in tallow
- Certain food colourings and preservatives
- Gelatine

Which actually excludes a lot of food - particularly the no gelatine - so alot of lollies, ice creams and the like. They do eat a fair bit of the meat substitute which is textured beancurd and protein though I'm dubious to the nutritional value and chemicals used in processing the "meat".

I did refer them to Maddox's view on vegetarianism and it pissed them off :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meat, cooked in oil? Like fondue?

Almost all meat is cooked on a grill, not in oil.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if someone doesnt want to eat meat, thats fine...

its the people who buy meat tasting vegetarian products that annoy me.

if you like the taste of meat, eat the real thing >_<

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Contrary to what you guys seem to think, most vegetarians adopt their diet because of purely health reasons, not out of social or moral concerns. The 'fringe' people you hear about--are on the fringe for a reason.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
I can see why some people will choose to be a veggie head. Most meat is also cooked in oil which will make people fat too, hence why I try to avoid fast food a lot of the time since I can easily break out with acne (oily food being once such cause of acne breakouts). I myself will make sure I grill my meat and not have it cooekd in oil (such as putting chicken burger patties under the grill).
Oily foods, and your diet has nothing to do with acne, meaing that eating a fat greasy cheese burger is not going to cause you to break out.

I think being a vegetarian would be more healthier in a lot of ways, the only problem is the lack of proper nutrients which you would find in meat. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much will power some people would have to start eating only vegetables. Anyway, being a vegetarian is mostly a personal choice rather than something genetic or inherited.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not a matter of willpower for me, its simply because my parents stopped buying meat for the rest of us when we were young. As time went on, not eating meat became a habit.

As far as social and religious reasons for not eating meat, I never cared.
Health reasons are why I haven't resumed eating meat occasionally along with the rest of my family.

Best answers
I know a few people that hardly eat any meat because they don't like the taste (they do eat chicken and steak from time to time, but that's about it)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
That's a vegan; I dated a girl like that -.- I felt wierd when I ordered a steak and cheese sandwhich =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
alot of people dont like the red meat. appearently it has some negative effects on your health. /laff

some religions /vegetarians dont consider fish a meat for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom