💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just found an old interview that Vassago did from a while back. It was on a CS skin site, and I just happened to see it.

It's Vassago's brown-eye! I can't think of a title :e by Sovkhan

Interview Date | 05/12/01

Sovkhan: I know you started out skinning for CS, this was way back when no models were even being made, why did u choose CS instead of quake2 or other mods?
Vassago: When I first saw CounterStrike, I was a newbie to PC's. I thought it looked extremely realistic at the time. When I found out that you can create custom skins/models for it, I became hooked.

Sovkhan: What was your first model that was released and how much more do u think you know about modeling then u did then?
Vassago: The first model I released was an edited Gooseman mp5. The only thing I did was add a scope and made a new skin for it :) As far as knowledge goes, I'd say I know at least 10 times the amount of stuff I knew back then. I'm far superior to the *old* Vassago. hehe

Sovkhan: What is your favorite Type of thing to model and skin?
Vassago: I love to model non-organic objects. I've been creating aircraft models lately, as well as buildings and spacecraft. On the skinning side, it has to be players. I love getting the freedom you have when creating a play skin from scratch. It's basically anything-goes, since there is no predefined concept of what a person would look like.

Sovkhan: Who would u consider you're idle at modeling?
Vassago: My idle? There are soo many..haha . On the organic side of things, I'd have to say Bay Raitt. He does some amazing work that just blows my mind. My non-organic modeling idle? Hmm..... I'd probably have to say Dan Ablan. He's a fantastic artist that does some spectacular things with Lightwave 3D.

Sovkhan: If you had to pick one moment that you found modeling very rewarding what would it be, if any?
Vassago: The moment I saw my first model in the game :D:D Sure, the #origin was off, so the model was floating five feet in front of me, but it was damn cool! hehe

Sovkhan: What do you consider your best work?
Vassago: My personal gallery =] Of all the stuff I've released, I'd have to say my Sar21. It was quite popular, and I think it came out good overall.

Sovkhan: How often to u like to model?
Vassago: On my days off, I cram as much into the 24hrs as I can. A little of this, a little of that. I'm usually stuck doing mod work, so I have little time to do my own personal things.

Sovkhan: What is your favorite part of the whole shebang? I.e. releasing the model, making it, meshing it, skinning it… etc.
Vassago: I think that every aspect has it's own rewards. When making a model, you get the fun of creating something that never existed. You gave birth to it *in a way*, and made something new. Skinning gives the model character. Without it, it's just a bland and boring object floating out there in 3D =]. Meshing is always fun for me, as long as the model is well built. I consider it to be a very important stage in the whole process. If the mapping is fubr, then the skinner will have a hard time trying to make something good with it. Releasage is a great time as well. You get to hear a lot of good compliments, as well as negative feedback from some people, which allows you to note your mistakes, and try to correct those in future models.

Sovkhan: As far as polygon complexity, at what point do you think people are just wasting effort?
Vassago: It depends really. I've models that have 1000+ polygons, but it was built so horribly that the same thing could've been done with 700-900 polys. Then again, I've seen models with 1500 polys, but are made soo damn good that I can't help but let my mouth drop :). I suppose that as long as people use the polygons in a constructive way, there is nothing to get fussy about.

Sovkhan: Do you think accuracy of a weapon is more important, or visual appeal?
Vassago: Visual appeal. I hate those people out there who cry and wail over a screw that was misplaced, or a slide that's 1mm too long. As long as a model resembles the weapon it is and has a decent skin, I'm happy with it.

Sovkhan: When if at all, do you think you'll move on to bigger and better engines?
Vassago: Soon.... very soon. I'm working for a Quake III mod right now called Military Forces. It's very promising. You can fly aircraft, or choose to ride around in a hummer, or even tanks. If that doesn't suite you, then just get out on foot for some classic fps shootin.

Sovkhan: What do you think is the most ****ed up part about armature 3d modeling?
Vassago: I'd have to say lack of support for beginners. I've noticed that a lot of people flame a newbie's model all to hell.....I really can't stand that. When someone posts a model that's bad, "omfgz that r g4y! it lose!" Is what constitutes a typical response. There are no experienced people who are willing to lend a hand to those just starting out. I try to do my best (with my large workload) to help those who need help, or to lend a friend a hand. I think everyone needs to realize that this community will only get BETTER if we start to help one another. If you skin good, make tutorials to help others; same thing goes for modelers.

Vassago

V
omg

hahaha

I did that interview when CS was still like beta 6.5 lol

Retired
Best answers
i liked this one:

Sovkhan: What was your first model that was released and how much more do u think you know about modeling then u did then?
Vassago: The first model I released was an edited Gooseman mp5. The only thing I did was add a scope and made a new skin for it As far as knowledge goes, I'd say I know at least 10 times the amount of stuff I knew back then. I'm far superior to the *old* Vassago. hehe
hehe "i'm far superior to the old vassago :p

-[gF]-Tien

G
lol interesting...

Sovkhan: Do you think accuracy of a weapon is more important, or visual appeal?
Vassago: Visual appeal. I hate those people out there who cry and wail over a screw that was misplaced, or a slide that's 1mm too long. As long as a model resembles the weapon it is and has a decent skin, I'm happy with it.

Vassago

V
Yea Tien - over at the CSS BB's, they are very very picky on stuff.

If you have a screw thats misplaced on the model, they will dog you to hell about it :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vassago if you knew 10 times more than the *old* vassago how much do you know now??

*BANG*Head Is Swollen*BANG*

BrunO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom