Valves new console called Piston

Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Much has been speculated about the so-called "steam box". Now there are concrete facts from Valve. Among other things, the device now has a different name.

This more technical CES Valve and hardware manufacturers have unveiled the Xi3 "Piston". With this mini-computer, it is possible to play on their home TV PC games. The demonstrated prototype is slightly larger than an orange, and the standard version offers 1 terabyte internal memory. According to the initial facts to memory and processor be upgraded beyond.

Representatives from Valve and Xi3 are reluctant to price expectations and speak of two models to be based on the existing devices and X7A X5A. Thus, prices are from $ 999 (around 760 euros) and $ 499 (around 380 euros) in space. But notes that the small console are teeming with connections.

This has already been the prototype:

Ethernet port based on IO Board Boosting
1/8 "audio in / out
SPDIF Optical Audio
four USB 3.0 ports
four USB 2.0 ports (one is reserved for the keyboard)
four eSATAp connections
two mini display ports
an HDMI port

the grafik card and the prozessors can be upgraded its already next gen by the way normal version 1 tb 500 euro OH MY GOODNESS
but anyway you can put it on tv and open any game you want with steam big picture and stuff!

NOTE: only games wich are released in steam are possible to play with it of course

http://images.lazygamer.net/2013/01/xi3-piston-03.jpg

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You beat Mki with the news. I never thought the day would come.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
wanted to post this 2 days ago but i tought there was a thread already didnt find one so here it is :)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Wonder what GPU it's running

EDIT: The device with the codename "Piston" will be based on the Xi3 new modular computer model X7a.. Which has a quad core processor, 384 cores of AMD GPU (7xxx) and up to 2TB of SSD storage.

The Piston will probably not have whole 2TB of SSD storage... The price of Xi3's X7a will be starting at $1000, I can see this being the price point of the Piston as well.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;isfqiYG7wiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfqiYG7wiI[/video]

Anyone else think this is going to revolutionize gaming?

I hope it will do well against the neXtbox and the ps4.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This looks promising i must say. I'm really curious to see how they're going to handle the price of that thing though.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm under the impression that this is just one of many. They want everyone to make a box, sort of like how Android operates. I'd be surprised if this ends up in anything other than failure.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm under the impression that this is just one of many. They want everyone to make a box, sort of like how Android operates. I'd be surprised if this ends up in anything other than failure.
Exactly, I got the same feeling as I read an article yesterday. This is in fact one of many, or still a prototype of a finished product. It's a nice idea, but there is still something lacking. It's not a console killer yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saw a video with some more information. Doesn't seem like this thing will be able to handle next-gen games too well unless nVidia or someone pulls a magic GPU out of their butt. Even so these things are tiny, I don't see it playing game with high quality, which is unfortunate, but who knows maybe they'll get more funding.

Also I would refrain from calling this the "Steambox." Steam is definitely going to be utilizing the tech, but it is far from being an exclusive Steam product it seems. If they could get the tech down to be able to play all games and have the upgrade ability Steam should definitely make this an exclusive thing, but as of right now it doesn't seem like it will be that.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
$1000 is an insane amount of money for a piece of gaming hardware

Not even a PC is that expensive anymore

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
grafik card and prozessor is upgradeable like they said in their interview it could handle next gen videogames or should

Force Pit Member
Best answers
A real gamer would be better off buying his own rig for PC gaming and hook a game controller + a HDMI to connect to the TV.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
$1000 is kinda harsh... I would be down for maybe $500 max for a console. Cause I know it would shrink in price to about $400 or less later on.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not sure but i just read an article that says that this isn't the steambox.
This is a computer called "piston" by ix3.
Valve gave the company money to make it steam compatible.

Steam doesn't want to release a Steambox this year so it's a bit early i'd say.

--- edit ---

Also reading this is reason enough that this isn't an official steambox.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/what-is-valves-steam-box

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom