Valve announces "Trade-in old games for credit"

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://kotaku.com/5663410/steam-to-introduce-digital-trade+ins

Right now, if you buy a game from Steam, finish it and don't want it, well, you can...delete it. You can't go trade it in. But there are whispers that the digital purchase giant is considering implementing such a scheme.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, taking a break from wildly speculating about the future of the industry, has actually gone on record to say he's heard Valve will soon be allowing those who download a game to trade it in.

"Steam is phenomenal, it's a great service," he told NowGamer. "Steam gives gamers enough other stuff so that they don't resent the fact they can't trade in their games. And you know, name all the Steam games that you've purchased that you've traded back in to somebody else for credit. Steam's about to let you do that supposedly, you know like trade and exchange, but they're going to take a fee from it."

Interesting. At the moment, if you delete a game you've purchased, you may not get anything back in return for offloading it, but you can download it again in the future. Giving consumers the option of forsaking that convenience in exchange for credit towards future purchases would, we'd imagine, go down a treat with most of Steam's regular users.
I believe that may be 2/3?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now I can knock down the 68 Game list I have and fill up with better games.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam, is apparently trying to find ways to compete with X-Box Live.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't that will majorly reduce their profits?
On the contrary, they'll gain profit out of all transactions that are made. But this is also a good utility for customers i believe.

Steam's about to let you do that supposedly, you know like trade and exchange, but they're going to take a fee from it.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't that will majorly reduce their profits?
Not really, they won't 'lose' money for giving credits, but they are motivating people to buy new games at a reduced price. There's a pretty big profit factor included with most games anyway, lowering the price a bit will make people happy, get's Valve more sales, and makes Steam a more popular choice than it already is now. A win-win-win situation for consumers, Valve and game developers who potentially want to use Steam as their release platform.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doug Lombardi said:
Before you celebrate about how you may be able to send your digital games back into the Steam stream for someone else to enjoy, Valve's Doug Lombardi killed the notion with the following statement to Blue's News: "Untrue. We've never met with Mr. Pachter."
And there you have it folks.

A true blue Bazinga.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still don't think I'd trade my games in. I haven't finished a bnch and there's aa few I go back and play :p

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did no one read the article?

This was a statement by an industry analyst saying that hes heard / he thinks Valve will introduce Steam trade ins sometime in the future. This is not Valve announcing that they're going to "trade-in old games for credit". It's pure hearsay and should not be taken any more seriously than the "news" that someone heard that Google was planning to buy Valve in 2008.

The end of the article states:
Valve's Doug Lombardi tells us "Untrue. We've never actually met with Mr. Pachter."

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Come on Sub. When the headline of the article is a question, that means it's open to interpretation and discussion. I'm positive many people have chosen to simply believe that Valve has announced the trade-in service, regardless of whether they actually have or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom