VAC Secured temp server

Best answers
ok, i like to host my own game but no one ever comes, i have low ping in US, but i think its because ts not VAC secured (im not sure cause no-1 has ever joined so that i could check) HOW do i change this so that my temp server is VAC secured? thx

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TaGmAn said:
ok, i like to host my own game but no one ever comes
Are you sure your server has sv_lan 0 applied?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and your firewall has to have port 27015 open

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
TaGmAn said:
ok, i like to host my own game but no one ever comes, i have low ping in US, but i think its because ts not VAC secured (im not sure cause no-1 has ever joined so that i could check) HOW do i change this so that my temp server is VAC secured? thx
Yea, Either you had set your server on LAN mode, or you never opened the ports in your Router, which means people are unable to find / join the server if you haven't opened the Port(s).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The ports for your router/firewall are:

27000 ~ 27030 TCP/UDP Enabled.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Yeah, forward 29 additional ports that aren't used. Great advice.

Best answers
Kurt said:
Yeah, forward 29 additional ports that aren't used. Great advice.
i take it that was sarcastic? will the extra ports make for less lag, or leave me wide open to hackers? Im not paranoid (if i had it my way, i wouldnt even have a firewall... but my mom does her banking online...so i have 2 have it) btw...
my firewall is configured to allow it & lan wasnt checked, and my hardware firewall is disabled...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
27015 is the only port you need to open for Half-Life games.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
TaGmAn said:
i take it that was sarcastic? will the extra ports make for less lag, or leave me wide open to hackers? Im not paranoid (if i had it my way, i wouldnt even have a firewall... but my mom does her banking online...so i have 2 have it) btw...
my firewall is configured to allow it & lan wasnt checked, and my hardware firewall is disabled...
Firewalls allow/disallow traffic, they would really have no effect on the security of her online banking. Once traffic leaves your home computer, your firewall is kind of pointless. Online banking is more or less dependent on the bank having a valid SSL certificate (encrypted line + business verification) and other security measures on their part.

HLDS only `listens` on one port, so that is all you need forwarded for people to be able to connect to you, those other ports aren't used.

Best answers
Kurt said:
Firewalls allow/disallow traffic, they would really have no effect on the security of her online banking. Once traffic leaves your home computer, your firewall is kind of pointless. Online banking is more or less dependent on the bank having a valid SSL certificate (encrypted line + business verification) and other security measures on their part.

HLDS only `listens` on one port, so that is all you need forwarded for people to be able to connect to you, those other ports aren't used.
try telling that to her, the moment the computer slows down, or there is a pop-up, she freaks out, ive had to reformat my hard drive literally 100's of times b/c shes paranoid....STUPID MEDIA SCARING ALL COMPUTER NEWBS SENSELESS!
but thanks for telling me, i thought that when you opened a port for listening it could be used as a backdoor... all you would have to do is connect with a client that tricks my computer into thinking its ESF when its really some malware...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Forwarding a port means incoming connection requests (that aren't part of an existing friendly session) will be sent to whatever host you specify (192.168.1.x usually, depends on router) for that port.

A program has to be running on that host, listening on that port, in order to receive the data, otherwise it is simply discarded.

Someone can't just run any program and connect to your server and run code on your system... that's why there are client and server protocols. If a client connects to your server, and doesn't identify itself correctly, the connection will be closed. If it sends a command the server-side doesn't recognize, the server will reply with an error (or do nothing). Unless there is a bug/oversight in the server portion of the program, you're generally safe. Since Half Life Dedicated Server is run on hundreds of thousands of computers, I'm pretty sure there are no major outstanding issues with it.

Best answers
does anyone use norton? cause thats what ive got...and i cant figure out how to open the right port.... and what file do i set sv_lan 0 in?

EDIT:
nvm, i completely disabled it & had a friend try to oin, & he couldnt connect...
and as i said before, my hardware firewall is disabled completely....
im using SP2

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
TaGmAn said:
does anyone use norton? cause thats what ive got...and i cant figure out how to open the right port.... and what file do i set sv_lan 0 in?
Type sv_lan 0 into your console, or put it into listenserver.cfg or server.cfg (depending on what you are running)

If a software firewall is blocking it, read the documentation for it.

If a hardware firewall is blocking it, such as a router, go to:

Start -> Run -> "cmd" -> "ipconfig /all" and look at your "Default Gateway", it should be something like 192.168.1.1 or something. Write down that IP and go to http://<that ip here> (e.g. http://192.168.1.1 ) and it should bring up your admin panel, from which you can navigate over to the port forwarding page, and forward it to the IP of you machine (the "IP Address" shown in ipconfig /all)

Best answers
the more ports you have open, the more ways people have to get into your system.

A firewall is like using a sheet to protect yourself.... unblocking ports, is like poking holes in the sheet,

I dont reccomend opening 29 unneccissary ports ... tbh even if you did i doubt youd get hacked ... but thats still 29 unused holes in your firewall.

However, A sheet wont save you from a kung fu master... and a firewall wont stop a skilled hacker. howver leaving holes in your sheets is inviting bugs n stuff to come wandering in :)

[like that analogy ? made that up as i went =P]

lmao .. I hate norton ;) I use a ghetofied outdated crappy version of ZA, its a crappy firewall, but it gets the job done.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
bile said:
the more ports you have open, the more ways people have to get into your system.

A firewall is like using a sheet to protect yourself.... unblocking ports, is like poking holes in the sheet,

I dont reccomend opening 29 unneccissary ports ... tbh even if you did i doubt youd get hacked ... but thats still 29 unused holes in your firewall.

However, A sheet wont save you from a kung fu master... and a firewall wont stop a skilled hacker. howver leaving holes in your sheets is inviting bugs n stuff to come wandering in :)

[like that analogy ? made that up as i went =P]

lmao .. I hate norton ;) I use a ghetofied outdated crappy version of ZA, its a crappy firewall, but it gets the job done.
Yes, because having a port "open" (you mean 'forwarded') means there is a program listening on that port on the host it's forwarded to.

Nice assumption. Your post is pointless and serves nothing but to confuse people who read it.

Best answers
Hmm and here I thougt I was simplifying things.

Kind of you to state that ;)

Best answers
im a semi-advanced user, i setup my whole network, so i know all about portforwarding, maybe its just steam.....Thx for the long analgy though, its appreciated :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom