UT2004 mod to be sold on.. Steam?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, the UT2004 mod Red Orchestra is going to be sold on steam. The mod was the winner of the "Make something unreal contest" hosted by Epic.

The mods website - http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/
The mods new website (?) - http://www.redorchestragame.com/

I find this pretty interesting. This seems like the same thing that happened with DOD and CS and as we all know, they both became insanely popular. It does seem kind of low though.. Paying for something that used to be free.

So yeah.. what are your thoughts on this?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just what we need, another war game.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DoD and CS used to be free too.

I used to play Red Orchestra. You were able to use the tanks (when morons didnt rush towards it and, once acquired, drive in circles), and fighting in the cities was pretty fun. The maps had lots of easter eggs too. I actually thought RO had died. Guess I was wrong.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Its not a mod, they have a license for UE2.5 engine thus its a game, not a mod.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is a mod... Or atleast it was. They developed it as a mod and then got the lisence when they were pretty much done w/ development. Now its a mod thats gone retail.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, it was a mod. You needed UT2k4 to play it. Apparently, things have changed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I missing something here? I thought Steam was exclusive to Valve, does this mean you have to register UT2k4 on Steam?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I dont think so. Red Orchestra is a stand-alone game now. You just need to buy it through Steam.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Zeonix said:
No, I dont think so. Red Orchestra is a stand-alone game now. You just need to buy it through Steam.
What this man said. I wouldn't put it past Epic either to sign up for Steam, they could make even more money that way, and also update their games a lot easier.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it's stand alone. Anyway, according to the site, it'll be out in January.

Best answers
I'm glad this is happening. Red Orchestra team deserve a bit of money for their hard work, and it'll hopefully give them a larger player base too. Provided they make enough changes from the last version to be worth however much they charge, I'll certainly buy it.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy crap, allthough when I first read throught hat I didnt understand. "Why the heck would valve put UT2k4/5 (or whatever version) up for its steam content?" That clears some things up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom