US-Tibet Resolution Passed - China's Reactions

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BEIJING - An indignant China said Friday the U.S. "seriously hurt the feelings of the Chinese people" when Congress passed a resolution calling on Beijing to stop cracking down on Tibetan dissent and talk to the Dalai Lama.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu labeled the resolution anti-Chinese, saying it misrepresented Tibet's "history and modern reality."

"The Chinese side expresses its strong indignation and resolute opposition toward this," Jiang said in a statement posted on the ministry's Web site.

Meanwhile, state media labeled a group linked to the Dalai Lama's India-based government-in-exile a "terrorist organization." China claims that recent anti-Chinese protests were part of a violent campaign to overthrow Chinese rule and sabotage this summer's Beijing Olympics.

The resolution in Congress sponsored by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and passed on Wednesday called on Beijing to "end its crackdown on nonviolent Tibetan protesters" and put a stop to cultural, religious, economic and linguistic "repression."

While noting reports of deadly rioting in Lhasa and other Tibetan areas in March, the resolution called China's response "disproportionate and extreme." It said hundreds of Tibetans had been killed and thousands detained, but did not say how it obtained its information.

China says 22 people were killed in the riots, many in arson attacks, and over 1,000 detained. The Dalai Lama's India-based government-in-exile says more than 140 people were killed.

The resolution also called on China to begin an unconditional "results-based dialogue" with the 72-year-old Dalai Lama to address Tibetan concerns and work toward a long-term solution to the dispute.

China has held six rounds of contacts with representatives of the Dalai Lama with no apparent result, and has demanded he meet numerous preconditions before it will talk to him directly.

Jiang said the resolution failed to condemn the "Dalai clique" that China blames for orchestrating the protests that began peacefully on March 10 among Buddhist monks in Lhasa before spiraling into violence four days later. Beijing has called the protests a plot to sabotage the Beijing Olympic Games and advance the cause of Tibetan independence.

The resolution "makes willful accusations against the ... lawful handling of the serious violent criminal incident in Lhasa and crudely interferes in China's internal affairs," Jiang said.

China has stepped up condemnation of Tibetan protesters following major demonstrations when the Olympic torch passed through San Francisco, London and Paris this week on its relay around the world.

Thousands of protesters angry at China's Tibet policies, human rights record and friendly ties with Sudan have attempted to block the torch's passage, with some individuals seeking to grab it or extinguish the flame.

The San Francisco route was changed and shortened to sidestep demonstrations, but the International Olympic Committee said it had no plans to cancel the rest of the relay, which was to continue Friday in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

On Friday, China's official Xinhua News Agency accused the Tibetan Youth Congress of planning the rioting in Lhasa, saying it "exposed the terrorist nature" of the group.

The congress organized recent protests in India and elsewhere overseas, coinciding with the demonstrations that began peacefully among Buddhist monks in Lhasa before spiraling into violence four days later.

"The crimes made the organization look like a kin member of al-Qaida, Chechnyan armed terrorists and 'East Turkistan' separatists," Xinhua said. East Turkistan is another name for China-controlled Xinjiang, where separatists among its Muslim Turkic ethnic group have been staging a low-intensity insurgency.

Xinhua cited alleged statements and speeches by Youth Congress leaders, as well as a purported plot to smuggle weapons into Tibet to launch attacks. The allegations were impossible to verify.

"Judging by these criteria, the TYC is a terrorist organization in a pure sense," Xinhua said.

The accusation was among the strongest against an exile Tibetan group in the latest round of anti-government protests. Chinese police earlier this month accused radicals of organizing "suicide squads to launch violent attacks."

Scholars say the accusations help the government justify its crackdown and demonize the opposition while driving a wedge between the government-in-exile and groups like the Tibetan Youth Congress that have challenged the Dalai Lama's policy of nonviolence.

China plans to carry the Olympic torch over Mount Everest and through Tibet, but jitters about protests during that leg apparently prompted a reversal of a decision to reopen Tibet to foreign tourists on May 1, the start of a three-day national holiday.

Foreigners have not received permits to visit the Himalayan region since the Lhasa protests. Tour operators said Thursday the Tibetan Tourism Bureau told them this week to stop arranging trips for foreigners. They said the bureau cited the need for safe passage for the torch relay to the summit of Everest, as well as continuing safety concerns in Lhasa.

On Thursday, the Dalai Lama said he supports China's hosting of the Olympics but insisted that nobody had the right to tell protesters demanding freedom for Tibet "to shut up."
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080411/ap_on_re_as/china_tibet;_ylt=AiqmTQooU0oJXgF3VWYaRjSs0NUE

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought your source was going to be The Onion when I saw the first line:

OP said:
An indignant China said Friday the U.S. "seriously hurt the feelings of the Chinese people" when Congress passed a resolution calling on Beijing to stop cracking down on Tibetan dissent and talk to the Dalai Lama.
Although I think this is a completely empty gesture, I'm happy they at least did something. China is insisting the Olympics be kept separate from their politics, and people will back them up by saying the USSR held the Olympics, but really, why should we keep them separate? If you're going to murder peaceful protesters after planting your soldiers in the crowd and having them dress up as monks, people are going to be a little angry. Just a wee bit. What did they expect? The sad part is this is really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to their human rights record.

Now if only we'd pass another such resolution and wag our finger at Israel. I'm not going to argue about this last statement, but it needed to be said.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, perfect...US involvement in Chinese affairs...here comes WWIII. Just let North Korea warm up their silos...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, perfect...US involvement in Chinese affairs...here comes WWIII. Just let North Korea warm up their silos...
You're probably being sarcastic (hopefully), but I'll address it anyway.

China has had its nose up our asses for who knows how long. Not too long ago, we discovered one of their spies, who had been here for 30 years or so, was stealing technology meant to be used on our subs. That was just one of many, most of whom we probably haven't discovered yet. They're constantly attacking our defenses through the net, and saying "Oh, we're not trying to hack your gibson! No, these are just renegade hackers. Yeah....you traced them to our base? Oh...well...we'll stop poisoning your children with lead if you forget about this..." We have way more reasons to go to war with them than they do to go to war with us.

As for NK, don't even bother thinking about them. None of their missiles can reach the west coast. The best they could hope to do is attack SK, and if they use their one or two nukes that don't even match the ones we dropped on Japan, it's open season on them. The only thing they have going for them is being China's ally, and if NK attacks first, China isn't going to risk everything for them.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Show a little optimism :D

I don't think WW 3 is coming just yet. Especially if you look at it like this. Right now, I doubt that China/Russia/Any other anti-western superpower wants to rule the world. And that was the reason for the first 2 world wars. Until global domination comes to mind, I'd say there's no real reason to start a world-wide war once again.

But, I also think that the US shouldn't interfere in China's business. They're kinda making the UN more worthless by the day :/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Show a little optimism :D

I don't think WW 3 is coming just yet. Especially if you look at it like this. Right now, I doubt that China/Russia/Any other anti-western superpower wants to rule the world. And that was the reason for the first 2 world wars. Until global domination comes to mind, I'd say there's no real reason to start a world-wide war once again.

But, I also think that the US shouldn't interfere in China's business. They're kinda making the UN more worthless by the day :/
China made it the world's business when they wanted to host the Olympics. If they want to keep everything in the dark, they can pass the torch to someone else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's about damn time China's being scrutinized as much as it is right now. Their oppression of Tibet has been going on for way too long. ;x

It's so sad that, in order to not lose face because of Tibetan protests during the Olympics, they decide to crack down even harder on them. There's a bit of irony in there.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
China made it the world's business when they wanted to host the Olympics. If they want to keep everything in the dark, they can pass the torch to someone else.
Wait...so the US is only inteferring because of the Olympics?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like Zeo said, they're inviting international attention on their domestic issues by hosting the Olympics. Personally, I'm disgusted by how much the world ignores their abysmal human rights record so that special interests (a.k.a. multi-billion-dollar corporations) can get a piece of the Chinese economy's pie.

It's the ultimate triumph of human greed over morality.

I hope the 2008 Olympics is an failure of epic proportions and that China can change because of it.

Dzamija said:
Wait...so the US is only inteferring because of the Olympics
The US is not "interfering." The entire world is protesting. Do you read the news? People in Paris and England were the loudest protestors.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interfering? How is saying, "Stop being ****s, China." interfering? The only reason why the Olympics are being held in China is because everyone wanted to use the Olympics as an excuse to, as Shiyo said, scrutinize China. Everyone hoped they'd lighten up and try to do things the right way in order to keep their public perception in tip top shape. That failed miserably, and now most of us dislike China even more.

If the decision were ours to make, we wouldn't boycott the opening ceremony. We'd boycott the entire damn thing.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Interfering? How is saying, "Stop being ****s, China." interfering? The only reason why the Olympics are being held in China is because everyone wanted to use the Olympics as an excuse to, as Shiyo said, scrutinize China. Everyone hoped they'd lighten up and try to do things the right way in order to keep their public perception in tip top shape. That failed miserably, and now most of us dislike China even more.

If the decision were ours to make, we wouldn't boycott the opening ceremony. We'd boycott the entire damn thing.
They are, in fact, getting involved in China's affairs. In my opinion, the only one who should be allowed to do that is the UN, or if the US must get involved, that it be through the UN.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, if they don't want a spotlight focusing on their human rights record, they can pass the torch to someone else. Why you're defending China, I don't know. Actually, I do, but I'm not in the mood to repeat every argument we've ever had.

Rather than make 20 threads about China and the Olympics, I'll post stuff here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article3724308.ece

Now its personal. Dun dun dun.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Like I said, if they don't want a spotlight focusing on their human rights record, they can pass the torch to someone else. Why you're defending China, I don't know. Actually, I do, but I'm not in the mood to repeat every argument we've ever had.
I'm not defending China in this case. I'm not blind, I'm aware what it's like there. I sure wouldn't like to live there. All I'm saying is that if someone should interfere (someone definitely should because China won't change its mind by itself) it should be the UN, not the US.

Athletes who display Tibetan flags at Olympic venues — including in their own rooms — could be expelled from this summer’s Games in Beijing under anti-propaganda rules.
Alright seriously now, what the ****....

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why aren't sovereign nations allowed to state their disapproval of a situation? Countries do it all the time. Why should it be any different now? I don't see people waiting for the UN to convene when it comes to wagging fingers at America because of Iraq. The UN is there to make, and then enforce a decision or to come to some kind of agreement. We don't need to have every country in the world agree upon whether or not we should ask China to stop being ****s. Hell, China would just veto it anyway. When it comes to making a group decision, fine, I'm with you. But that clearly isn't the case. Some countries don't care, others do, others pretend they do. That's just the way it is. The UN isn't in charge of the world and we don't need to do everything through them.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The United Nations stated that they won't get involved, though they "urge" China to allow protesters to protest and to not resort to unnecessary force towards the protesters.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
We don't need to have every country in the world agree upon whether or not we should ask China to stop being ****s. Hell, China would just veto it anyway.
I disagree. I think this is exactly what we need in a situation like this. Let them know that the world as a whole disagrees with the way they do things. I doubt they'd veto it, if everyone is against them.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The United Nations stated that they won't get involved, though they "urge" China to allow protesters to protest and to not resort to unnecessary force towards the protesters.
Read that ^

And if we'll veto the world whenever we feel like it, so will China. Hell, they wouldn't even have to. Just ignore it. They're not going to say, "Oh golly, we're surely outnumbered. Let's change everything about this country because the UN, the dog with no teeth, wrote me an angry letter."

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are, in fact, getting involved in China's affairs. In my opinion, the only one who should be allowed to do that is the UN, or if the US must get involved, that it be through the UN.
Weren't you the one I told before? The UN is a sham to make small, insignificant countries feel like they're more powerful than they actually are--that they have a voice.

In any case, the Olympics are not "China's affairs." It is the affair of every participating country. The UN is not a world government; it does not have sovereignty over the world; they are not the ultimate authority that we or anyone else answer to.

The UN is an impotent organization that accomplishes almost nothing except wasting money. "Oil for Food" ring a bell to you?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

They would veto it, no questions asked. Why would they allow a resolution to go through that condemns them?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why aren't sovereign nations allowed to state their disapproval of a situation? Countries do it all the time. Why should it be any different now? I don't see people waiting for the UN to convene when it comes to wagging fingers at America because of Iraq. The UN is there to make, and then enforce a decision or to come to some kind of agreement. We don't need to have every country in the world agree upon whether or not we should ask China to stop being ****s. Hell, China would just veto it anyway. When it comes to making a group decision, fine, I'm with you. But that clearly isn't the case. Some countries don't care, others do, others pretend they do. That's just the way it is. The UN isn't in charge of the world and we don't need to do everything through them.

No, any country has a right to say China is an ass more than before. It's just that the US has to stick it's nose into
any international butthole like it wants to be big bro or something.

Now seriously, most inter-government organizations (like the UN) are just a big pile of bureaucracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom