Upgrading from 256 MB video card to 512MB: Any suggestions?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was thinking of upgrading my video card (an ATI Radeon 256 MB X700 Pro) to a 512 MB video card, since prices on them have imploded since I last looked (last time I checked, 512s' were worth an average $500) and wondered your guys' opnions on a good card. I had one in mind after checking prices and reviews.

The full name is:

"eVGA 512-P2-N637-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP KO Superclocked Video Card"

I'm sure my computer can handle it, tho not sure how large my power supply is. My computer model is the HP a1250n media center model. It's fully equipped for pci express. Reviews for this card are raving and the price aint too bad. Your opinions are appreciated!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally wouldn't be spending that much on a gfx card today, also considering the fact that it's not a dx10 card. In fact, I can pickup a 8800GTS on newegg for around $440~ (And assumnig you could afford $500 like your are somewhat mentioning in your post). If you can get buy on a X700 Pro for you're gaming atm with no problems, then I'd suggest sticking with it untill some midrange dx10 cards come out if any of the current dx10 cards are not in your price range. It's not really the gfx memory that matters, but the gfx chipset and how fast it is.

Would be handy though for you to google some information on your pc to see what kind of psu you have and how good it is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh no no no no, I didn't say it was worth that much! I sad, last time I checked BEFORE (like six+ months ago) it was worth like 500$. Now it's like in the mid 200$ range, easily affordable in comparison.

And if I may ask, what does Direct X 10 even do for me? Really, the only new PC game I want is BF 2142. I just want to sup-up my graphics for 3D animation ^_^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh no no no no, I didn't say it was worth that much! I sad, last time I checked BEFORE (like six+ months ago) it was worth like 500$. Now it's like in the mid 200$ range, easily affordable in comparison.

And if I may ask, what does Direct X 10 even do for me? Really, the only new PC game I want is BF 2142. I just want to sup-up my graphics for 3D animation ^_^
I'd take a look around and a few 8800GTS/GTX benchmarks, you'd be amazed. The gfx pipeline has gone through a lot of changes compared to your traditional gfx cards in the past too. If you really want to buy yourself a new card though a 7900GS might be worth taking a look at, however what happens if you find yourself wanting to spend money on yet another gfx card down the track? What use would you make of two spare gfx card you would have sitting around? (Assumnig you didn't have computers to put them into to make use of them that have PCI-E boards).

Again, it's up to you what you do with your cash, just giving you some advice.

Best answers
A 7950GT sounds like a great update from your old X700Pro; but, if you want to wait until ~February, I'd go with Overlord's suggestion: "I'd suggest sticking with it untill some midrange dx10 cards come".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom