Upgrade, or buy a new desktop?

Best answers
These are my specs as taken from an EVEREST report:
Code:
--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
      DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
      Computer Name                                     HOME (nir desktop)
      User Name                                         Nir

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4 540, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
      Motherboard Name                                  Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3
      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Alderwood i925X
      System Memory                                     1024 MB  (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
      BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (07/19/04)
      Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
      Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     RADEON X800 XT Secondary  (256 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     RADEON X800 XT  (256 MB)
      3D Accelerator                                    ATI Radeon X800 XT PCI-E (R423)
      Monitor                                           Sony SDM-HX93  [19" LCD]  (9009703)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     Creative EMU10K2 Audigy / Audigy 2 Audio Processor

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
      SCSI/RAID Controller                              SCSI/RAID Host Controller
      Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
      Disk Drive                                        ST3160023AS  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
      Optical Drive                                     DM1702L PQD971Z SCSI CdRom Device
      Optical Drive                                     HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B  (16x/52x DVD-ROM)
      Optical Drive                                     SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S  (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           Unknown

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                         148993 MB (6027 MB free)

Input:
      Keyboard                                          Logitech PS/2 Keyboard
      Mouse                                             Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Network:
      Network Adapter                                   Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Peripherals:
      Printer                                           hp deskjet 940c
      Printer                                           Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
      USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
      USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801FB ICH6 - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
      USB2 Controller                                   Intel 82801FB ICH6 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
Im thinking of either upgrading or getting a new computer all together.. my budget is around the 1000-1500 mark. Dont need monitor, printer, keyboard, or mouse - and can I salvage my DVD/CDRW drives instead of buying new ones?

Best answers
He meant how much is 1000-1500mark in USD..

Hmm..Doesnt seem like u need to upgrade..maybe buy another hdd?

Best answers
Oh, haha, no I meant my budget is around the 1000-1500 USD mark. Not as in mark the currency ;P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's still a pretty nice computer...

What in particular don't you like?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
That's still a pretty nice computer...

What in particular don't you like?
My thoughts exactly... you're upgrading for the sake of upgrading?

(BTW: The Deutsche Mark isn't issued as currency anymore, though it's still slightly in circulation despite the switch to the Euro iirc. :p)

Best answers
Well thing is, I'm a little bit of a graphics whore and I mostly play newer games (Hitman Blood Money, HL2, etc) and while Im not denying this computer is still fairly well, its just not as satisfying as it used to be.

Now the thing is, I considered upgrading just one thing here or there, but as you can see this is a Dell and honestly Im just not too sure of how good their components are. The cooling sucks (my computer was overheating a little with the case closed, so I had to open it up and place an actual fan near it) and this being a Dell I figured salvaging it could only be a little bit of an advantage where I can just go to cyberpower and actually pick what goes in my system.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your current setup seems pretty good and should last you a bit longer. You may want to think about upgrading next year sometime with the release of vista and newer games that will be coming out. Upgrading a OEM machine too as well isn't the greatest idea ethier IMO.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Vista = $200. DX10 GPU = $lotsa.
What point are you trying to prove here? -_-.

In time, nvidia and ATI should release mid-range DX10 products, and if you can afford to buy higher end parts then it's not really a relavant issue.

Best answers
As far as i see that comp should be able to play most new games today >.>

Id say buy new cooling and more space..And just upgrade the rest of the **** next year >.>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could buy some extra memory I guess(I mean, there are a couple of High-end games that recommend 1512mb RAM just to be on the safe side.) , if you MUST keep up with today's high-end standard. Maybe an extra HDD. Other than that, I guess you should wait 'till Nvidia and ATi release their DX10 cards.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yugi_Yami said:
As far as i see that comp should be able to play most new games today >.>

Id say buy new cooling and more space..And just upgrade the rest of the **** next year >.>
I wouldn't bother with cooling changes on a OEM machine. They usualy use a different cooling solution designed by them as opposed to using the stock hsfs that come with the processor they include in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom