Updating Question.

Best answers
I am planning on upgrading my MOBO for my Dell 8250 and have a few questions.

1. Ok, I have NEVER done this before, so from what I can see the you remove the processor somehow from your current MOBO and stick it in the new one? Will it be compatable? Does it matter if the mobo is a 800 MHZ or 533 MHZ or whatever? I have a P4 and I am planning on getting the Albatron PX865PE ProII MOBO.

2. My computer uses RD Ram (eww) and the MOBO I want to get uses DDR ram? Is there any SPECIFIC brand of DDR Memory that I need to get? Or do all of them work out?

3. Are most MOBOs the same size, because I wanna know if this one will fit.

4. How do I find out if my Current system bus MHZ

5. This one is stupid, but what is the system....bus?

I know I am a hardware n00b, this is my first time doing this :(. Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to kill my computer :(.

Best answers
1. You have to see if the mobo supports the speed of your cpu. So if you have a cpu of 2.4 GHz and the mobo can only go up to 2 GHz then the mobo doesn't support it.

2. All of them work.

3. I don't think that all of them are the same size. You can use a searchengine to look for the specs of the mobo and then see if the size is close to the size of your current mobo. Or if you know what size of mobo you can put in your case, then you can see if it will fit.

4 & 5. Can't answer them.

Best answers
Saiyan Warrior said:
1. You have to see if the mobo supports the speed of your cpu. So if you have a cpu of 2.4 GHz and the mobo can only go up to 2 GHz then the mobo doesn't support it.

2. All of them work.

3. I don't think that all of them are the same size. You can use a searchengine to look for the specs of the mobo and then see if the size is close to the size of your current mobo. Or if you know what size of mobo you can put in your case, then you can see if it will fit.

4 & 5. Can't answer them.

Don't answer 1 if you can't answer 4 and/or 5. I am talking about 533/800 MHZ bus speeds.

Best answers
2. They don't support every type.. each motherboard supports different speed DDR ram (DDR333 for example). You need to find out what it supports.. your best bet would be finding it in an online computer site, that should tell you.

4. What speed is your processor.. I could probably tell you if you told me it's Pentium whatever, so many MHZ.

5. A bus, in computer terms, is simply a channel over which information flows between two or more devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom