Unreal Technology.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I read those things on the homepage about the physics and I saw the part with "Another problem with the perfect collision is that very tiny objects with lots of polies can cause lags as well" and I was thinking. Unreal Engine 3 has a very awesome technology that adds bumpmapping to low poly models making them appear much more 3D. Since I saw those old images with bumpmapping on the Cell games arena, couldn't you make the models low poly and add bump mapping to them to make them look as detailed as you wanted them to look?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NOOOOOO WAY the models are fine setting poly on the models would take time as well bad idea

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think is a good ideea for guys hw have a weak pc.
If this Unreal Engine 3 can give a good view to a model with low poly and no lag,
I don`t see whi not.In this mode all people (with a weak pc) can play very well.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the esf models to have decent normal maps, they would need to be remade and have a high poly model made, bake a normal map from the high poly to the low poly model. Considering there are almost 40 different models in esf, and there are very few modellers on the team with high poly character experience, it'd take forever to do.

Its not worth it. Not only that, but this is based on an anime, anime characters don't really need normal maps to get a close likeness, what you're suggesting is months of labour for prettymuch no great gain, plus most of the models are a high standard already.

Oh and before you talk about texture conversions to normal maps, I'd rather cut my own balls off than have somebody do that to my work, texture conversion normal maps are fine for flat surfaces, but a painted character texture, they look like ****.

Just so you know, normal maps are basically a texture that contains height information of a higher poly model via RGB channels, this basically means you can create the illusion of a model with 1 million polies on a model with 2000. It really doesn't hurt performance much at all.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Uhm, no one was suggesting to change the engines, Elcor.

Best answers
Unreal rocks, great engine, you can create some amazing stuff in it with all its features.

For ESF though? pointless, just for normal maps? considering all the effort thats already gone into this version on half life, it would be a waste of time to learn the engine and even attempt to regain production time on the UT3 engine.

Ok, you can produce the same effects alot quicker since the engine is designed for it, and the material editor can punch out some great shaders (if you know what your doing)... but overall it would just be a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom