Unreal Engine 3 - Next Gen is coming!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;XgS67BwPfFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY[/video]

What about now Dam, can we say Epic now, huh! huh!

Oh and,

IGN said:
Last week at GDC, Epic Games revealed a major update to Unreal Engine 3. The trailer, called "Samaritan" showcased the potential for Unreal Engine 3 and DirectX 11. So how long will you need to wait before you see awesome visuals as shown in the trailer (below)? Perhaps not long at all.

Epic is releasing the updated Unreal Development Kit Wednesday, March 9. Anyone can download the kit tomorrow at www.udk.com.
Sweet Nukems! Next Gen is Now!

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one is allowed to say epic nor next gen until they learn what the former means and the latter actually has meaning.

As for the vid, I'm not impressed. That's what I see every time my eyes are open. Less pretty, more fun. Get to work, industry.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atleast things are moving. With the limitations of consoles, looks were the only thing that had a chance of getting improved. Once the next set of consoles get released, more processing powers can be put on tech that actually affect gameplay, like Physics. And personally, i can't wait to see what they come up with in that regard.

Since there were some rumors about Microsoft hiring developers for Xbox, i guess we'll be hearing about new consoles in a couple of years.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The demo is amazing, but they needed, like, a rig with 3x GeForce 580 to run it. It would be more amazing to see it in a gameplay situation. See how the engine handles user interaction against the environment. It's how they did it back in the day.

Edit:Oh, and might I add this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNWj8HmWwQ

Edit2: [video=youtube;Eq1wUEkkEw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq1wUEkkEw8[/video]

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah the thing to remember is that this is a tech demo. where epic are saying "okay we've incorperated these features into our engine for developers to use".
sure, as of right now, hardware tesselation is very expensive, and you need a super rig to run it. similarly with the real-time cloth physics. and that's the thing. it was all realtime. it wasn't a pre-rendered scene.

but back before normal-maps were main stream the exact same thing happened. they tech-demo's normal maps as a real time feature, using a super rig that no regular user would have, but then technology cought up and even a $60 card could run it.

this is the kind of stuff you should expect to see in 3 years time when sony and msoft make their next gen consoles. because by that point, the hardware will have been able to catch up with the software development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom