Undervolting a Laptop

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Has anyone ever done this before? I'm thinking of doing it to bring my temps down further and reduce overall strain on the computer. This applies to the CPU. Any good guides/experiences?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...of course I googled first... My point was to see if anyone had experience or knew guides/process that works very well. I'd rather have personal experience with a method rather than trying something random I found on google...

Best answers
Hm, undervolting sounds risky to me, you won't break the CPU though, at most it'll make your system unstable. Why not just under-clock it? I did that with my linux server, so I could make the fans spin slower and reduce noise. Works fine.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the trick is that with undervolting, you don't lose performance as with underclocking. It messes with the way it draws current and finds lower ends that give the same performance.

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Like HarSen said undervolting your system will make it unstable. It could boot the system anytime and you also can fry your CPU.

Risky

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...of course I googled first... My point was to see if anyone had experience or knew guides/process that works very well. I'd rather have personal experience with a method rather than trying something random I found on google...
Maybe it's just me, but what I usually do is read multiple "random" guides, and when I realize they all pretty much say the same thing, I tend to think, "hey, maybe this is the process I need to use to do x". After that, I start browsing discussions regarding x, and when I'm ready to try it, I do so. As with all things, the ESF forum isn't exactly the place to go for info. Just because you know the person giving you info doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. Use google, read each of the guides and discussions and experiment.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like HarSen said undervolting your system will make it unstable. It could boot the system anytime and you also can fry your CPU.

Risky
you can fry your cpu by pumping too LITTLE power into it?

wow...

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
you can fry your cpu by pumping too LITTLE power into it?

wow...
Not pumping, undervolting. It can reboot your system and the possibility to fry your cpu.

It happend me once with my amd 3500+ but that's was a different story with my psu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom