Ultimate Spider-man

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Having to refrain from buying Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction so I'd have the money to buy USM when it came out was certainly a difficult task, but I am sooo glad I did it.

I haven't had this much fun in a video game since Resident Evil 4 (Actually, I think I'm having more fun with this than I did RE4). Swinging around Manhattan is an absolute joy, It feels like you actually are spidey as you swing through the city. And as an added bonus, I never actually played Spider-man 2, so the swinging is brand new to me!

Not only is it a blast to swing around, but watching yourself do it is just as cool. The new 3-D inking technology or whatever Treyarch is calling it makes you think your actually playing a comic. And to further authentisize the comic book feel, they even hired Brian Michael Bendis to write the story for the game, and Mark Bagley to draw up all the characters and such. For a Ultimate Spider-man geek like myself, it's a dream come true!

I really can't express how much I love this game, the fantastic web swinging mechanics are so fun I could just swing for hours without getting bored, and of course on top of that there is a plethora of Races, Combat tours, random crimes, and secret tokens to collect, plus the main story to get through. And for even MORE replay value, you can even play as Venom! You unlock him for free roam after the story is complete, and causing mayhem and destruction with him is almost as fun as swinging through the city saving the innocent as spidey.

All in all, I am extremely glad I passed up Ultimate Destruction to get this game, it's so much fun I don't even know what to do with myself. In fact, it's so fun that it even got my brother interested (who hasn't really played a video game in years). Although sadly, I let him take it with him to work, so now I gotta wait a week or so till I can play it again, but it'll just make my time with it that much sweeter.

Anyways, I command you all to go out and purchase it this very moment! You won't be dissapointed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds neat! What systems is it available for?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultimate Spiderman is awesome, especially since you can play as Venom. Actually, this game makes me want to buy Ultimate Destruction because Venom is played similarly to the Hulk. Venom jumps really really far and you can destroy quite a few things. Ultimate Destruction takes that a lot further since you can destroy anything, and the Hulk jumps a lot further. The craters he leaves also look better.

Anywho, the game is awesome. Although Spidey doesnt have as many combos as he did in the last game, its still a pretty good fighting system. Web swinging is easy as hell. Buildings are a lot smaller, but meh.

Screw Spidey. I bought this game for Venom. Venom replenishes his health by feeding on humans. Basically, he sends out a few tendrils, pulls someone INTO him, and just absorbs their health. He spits them out afterwards. Traveling with Venom is awesome since a) he jumps like the Hulk and B) He can "Venom-Swing". After you do the uber jump, you can also shoot out tendrils into buildings and swing. Climbing walls with Venom is also a treat. Instead of climbing like Spidey, he climbs by slamming his hands and nails into the building. Venom also has punches and kicks, but I rarely use them.

Venom can also lift up cars and throw them. That was pretty fun. You can lift up humans and face-smash them into the ground or throw them at people or buildings.

I love Venom.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hash said:
Everything! Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, and PC.

Click me for a review of it.
:3 I read it, and it sounds pretty cool, I might just give it a shot.

The review also said that the web-swinging mechanics felt less natural than in Spiderman 2, but are they good enough? Is it still fun to webswing around the place? :eek:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Webswinging is pretty much pressing one button, jump off of it, and swinging again. Its simpler than in spiderman 2, but its still kinda fun and effective. You'll have more fun jumping around Manhattan with Venom though.

Best answers
I didn't know you could actually swing around on it. I thought it would just be stupid where you only fight battle after battle with no storyline or anything just like an arcade game or something. It looks too cell-shaded for my taste but I might end up getting it when it goes down to $20.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Other then it having venem in it... How is the game any different then spiderman 2?

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spider-man 2 is a LOT more fun. This is just missing that sense of exhilliration you get swinging around in Spiderman 2.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spiderman 2 was absolute crap. The only things I liked about it was Manhattan and swinging around.

This game actually has a storyline, Sub.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um... Spiderman 2 had a storyline too... well, it was the movie's storyline. But I think it was MUCH more fun.

Another thing is that you never get a sense of height in this game. And the celshading ruins the whole feeling. Solid colored buildings (at least from a distance) isn't my thing.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Keep in mind that there were two completely different Spiderman 2's, for PC and for consoles. Everyone seems to agree the PC version was garbage.

I'll think about picking it up just because I don't have anything to play around with right now.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ CM: Even using the storyline from the movie, the game was still very boring. I can only swing around for so long before I feel the need to turn it off.

@ Boyster: Im talking about the ps2 version.

@ Zero: No.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
will it cost me 50?

i've got some dough but theres a list of things i'm trying to get.

pump it up exceed, burnout revenge, budokai tenkaichi, x collection, marvel nemesis, ultimate spiderman, what should i get?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get it for pc. Wink wink.

After you beat the game (which I did like a minute ago) you really dont have anything to do as spiderman. As Venom, you can go around the city causing havoc and it turns into a gta kinda thing. The more destruction you cause, the more cops come after you followed by special ops, helicopters, etc.

I guess Ill try to get the different costumes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, the races are starting to get ridiculous. The 3rd Johnny Storm race was pretty hard in it's own right, but some of these Hard races are just silly. I don't even want to think about what the Insane ones are gonna be like. It took me like 20 minutes straight just to finish one of them with Venom. :p

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The second Johnny Storm one, along with when

(SPOILERS! SPOILERS!)

Venom kidnaps Sable

(SPOILER END? SPOILER END?)

annoyed the HELL out of me. There's another thing wrong with the game, there is a damn race/chase before practically EVERY boss.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CM said:
There's another thing wrong with the game, there is a damn race/chase before practically EVERY boss.
The exact opposite for me. I absolutely love the races/chases in the game. I also like how they are actually pretty unforgiving most of the time, forcing you to pull out a perfect run to keep up. In fact, I wish there was more of these. I think there the funnest parts of the whole game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom