Ultima Keyblade

Best answers
Ok, so i started this just like an hour ago. This is what i have so far:

Crits are welcome. If you don't know what it is, this is the ultima keyblade for Kingdom Hearts. I didn't smooth it out yet and its just the handle atm. I made this is 3ds max 8. I am hoping that it'll turn out good after i finish it and skin it :)

Best answers
Looks good so far. But not much to crit on....

Best answers
yea.... the hardest part is yet to come...:(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=D work on! you need to know I luv KH! , nway ingame they used Alphamaps for it. If they would do the whole detail in, the game would drive crazy xD

Best answers
I also made the kingdom keyblade and added ink n paint to it. It isn't textured and it isn't 100% done cause as you can see it needs more work in certain places

Best answers
Looks good so far! I actually got that keyblade in the game, its a bunch of work to obtain it. You would have saved lot of trouble with alphamaps though... But its nice to see youre putting lot of effort in this one.

Best answers
For something of this nature, I probably would have done most of the work in Illustrator, then importing it in to max as splines. You get the kind of detail on your curves that is incredibly hard to obtain. From there, you already have a mesh and can pull things around as needed. Of course, this only goes for building a model for renders.

★ Black Lounger ★
Best answers
Kermitdude said:
For something of this nature, I probably would have done most of the work in Illustrator, then importing it in to max as splines. You get the kind of detail on your curves that is incredibly hard to obtain. From there, you already have a mesh and can pull things around as needed. Of course, this only goes for building a model for renders.

that sounds like double the work to me...why would u create vector curves in illustrator then import? You can get the same vector curves in 3d max(or any other 3d program with splines/curves) as u can in illustrator.

Best answers
Connecting/welding in max is a lot harder than in Illustrator. If you consider that this model probably wont be used for an in game purpose, you know that you can have as many polys as you want, thus removing any need to optimize by going the route of splines. Plus, using the pen tool in Illustrator would cut the time in half for the time it would take to create the initial design. Toss a extrude on top of it after import and voila!, you's got detail. I couldn't tell you how many animated logos I've done like this for clients, and when they provide a vector based file, half my work is done.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah something like this would be pretty easy in illustrator, max would take the piss... thanks for sharing that with us kermit, never knew you cud import vectors into max

★ Black Lounger ★
Best answers
Kermitdude said:
Connecting/welding in max is a lot harder than in Illustrator. If you consider that this model probably wont be used for an in game purpose, you know that you can have as many polys as you want, thus removing any need to optimize by going the route of splines. Plus, using the pen tool in Illustrator would cut the time in half for the time it would take to create the initial design. Toss a extrude on top of it after import and voila!, you's got detail. I couldn't tell you how many animated logos I've done like this for clients, and when they provide a vector based file, half my work is done.
yea, but see doing a logo is much different then recreating a defined keyblade. Doing a logo would be easier if you have the .ai artwork, but with a sword like this it's best to do it in 3dmax. There should be somekind of a poly count limited for this type of project...almost any project that is influenced by a game should have a limit. But as we all know there is 2 different way to skin a cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom