UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok I just got this game to work, but now when I play, I'm starting to wonder a fer things....

1) How can you all play with the controls set this way? Its rediculous!!! It'd be better with a controller or joystick, but when I tried to use mine (PSX to USB joystick adapter), I got no response. I mean here I ham using the mouse to fire and look around while trying to move at the same time and the teleport button is out of reach and you have to do this and this and this. ITS CRAZY!!!!

2) How the hell are people so good at melee? here I am Trying to lock on to someone, and after being blindsided by these *******s, I finally get a break to do melee. I charge at the person.....and I go right past him. WHAT?! I try again so I can charge by clicking the left mouse key and attacking with the right.....NOTHING HAPPENS!!! I stand right next to the guy...hit the attack button...BOOM! I HIT HIM! Now I have to chase all over the place just to find out where the hell he landed and I'm lucky enough to get a second shot on him.

These other people somehow:

1) Know how to dash at me then attack me without flying past.

2) Know exactly where I go.

3) Know how to warp like crazy, keep doing melee, and then use energy attacks along the way in a matter of seconds.

Is there something I missed here?

I must not be doing something right. And if anyone says "They've just been playing longer," then thats not going to help, because no matter how long I play, I'll be doing this same thing. So whats up? I need some information here.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that's called practice.... You just need to play more, I played like that too. All you need is practice, with the thing where they know where you are that is called "Target" They can know everywhere you go. And no, u havn't missed anything I guess it's just hard to explain and understand.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I might be completely off but they might actually be using thier radar the f9 button i think it'll come in real handy once you get the hang of melee. It makes it easier to find the guy aswell.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
UGH! I wrote down a whole bunch of stuff but then it all got deleted and I cant recover it! GAH! Well I'll just write the nutshells I had...

1) I'm a console man so using my PSX to USB controller (used as a joystick. I use it for FFXI) would be more helpful than trying to mess with using this entire keyboard PLUS the mouse. Things would be slightly easier to do with the dualshock playstation controller, so basically, how can I se up using the joystick? The option is there, but I dont know how to do it.

2) How do I get good practice without getting pwn3d every 3 seconds? I need to learn how to do melee better because I just suck at it. I know about targeting and I know about the radar system (scouter), but whenever I hit the opponent, I lose sight of him so I'm frantically trying to find him my rolling my mouse around just to see. When I DO see him, I'm either attacked out of nowhere by him or someone else, or I boost at him only to miss him. All these other players boost right at me and just ram me while boosting. I try it but all I do is....nothing. Its like I cant attack while charging at them. I have to slowly float their way and whack them. Then I have to go through the whole thing again if I'm lucky. So in a nutshell, can anyone tell me any tips and/or tell me a good way to practice? I thought about just going one on one with a bot (I still need to download the bot patch). So what do you think? Can you help?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1) I can't imagine playing like that...

2) It took me about two-three weeks to be able to see how players move that fast without getting a little dizzy. Just keep fighting players that are better than you.. I can try to help you ingame if you want, but I'm not going to be able to turn you into a good player in a day. It takes weeks.

Well, if you need more melee advice you can message me on AIM if you have it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GMan said:
1) I can't imagine playing like that...

2) It took me about two-three weeks to be able to see how players move that fast without getting a little dizzy. Just keep fighting players that are better than you.. I can try to help you ingame if you want, but I'm not going to be able to turn you into a good player in a day. It takes weeks.

Well, if you need more melee advice you can message me on AIM if you have it.
1) Well, if you use the PC a lot for gaming, I can imagine why. To me, a controller is a lot better. FFXI and other PC games proved that for me.

2) I'll IM you when I'm back at college tomorrow. I have AIM on this computer but I dont have the game. Plus its dial-up and its slow and I dont wanna go through all the waiting, so I'll try you tomorrow.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
you will have absolutely no chance when you play with a gamepadcontroller against someone with keyboard/mouse simply because you can react alot faster with a mouse then with a controller. so even the attempt to try playing with a controller is poitless.
console controller arent made for fps games (oh yeah and i know what im talking about :p ... ever tryed to play fps games on a ps2? horroble ... so .. slow ... movement)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
trust me when i say.. using the keyboard and mouse is the easiest way to play this game :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've noticed you put a lot of rolling eyes on the end of your posts Mystix, what's that about? o_o

Anyway Logan, my advice is the best path to success! I guess.

Maybe.

Eh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
you will have absolutely no chance when you play with a gamepadcontroller against someone with keyboard/mouse simply because you can react alot faster with a mouse then with a controller. so even the attempt to try playing with a controller is poitless.
console controller arent made for fps games (oh yeah and i know what im talking about :p ... ever tryed to play fps games on a ps2? horroble ... so .. slow ... movement)
Maybe for you, but I react a lot faster with a controller than I do with a keyboard or a mouse.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Logan289 said:
Maybe for you, but I react a lot faster with a controller than I do with a keyboard or a mouse.
It's not only reaction time, but also precision. A mouse totally owns a gamepad or joystick when it comes to precision, unless of course you are playing a flight sim, but that's a different story.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
It's not only reaction time, but also precision. A mouse totally owns a gamepad or joystick when it comes to precision, unless of course you are playing a flight sim, but that's a different story.
Ok I'm going to make this perfectly clear to everyone. I rarely play PC games, ok? So I'm more sluggish with the mouse and keyboard than I am with a controller. End of story. Now then, can we focus on the task at hand? This isn;t a debate over whats better to use to play the game. Its my choice whether or not to use a joystick/controller or not.

Best answers
To practice swooping and hitting while swooping, I just used bots and made them stand still and don't shoot. Then moving and not shooting. Then both.

Best answers
Firstly, try reading (or watching, it's animated so you don't actually have to read much) the MANUAL. It tells you about the RADAR and about how to use your melee properly (That is HOLD the attack button when swooping, don't click it).

And secondly, use the bots. You can slowly increase their skill.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing you'll learn from bots besides a slight amount of reflex is how to LSM. That's not good.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think there is a cvar that makes joysticks unuseable (so some servers may have it turned off). I think it's called IPX. Check Mr. Satan's sticky in Server Chat, I think he explains 'em all there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bihal said:
Firstly, try reading (or watching, it's animated so you don't actually have to read much) the MANUAL. It tells you about the RADAR and about how to use your melee properly (That is HOLD the attack button when swooping, don't click it).

And secondly, use the bots. You can slowly increase their skill.
AH! Thank you! I'll do both! I think fighting against bots will help. And thanks for the tip about holding the attack button while swooping. I had no idea.

You've given me more help than anyone else so far. You get a brownie now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom