Ubuntu help

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So... I'm too lazy to register on the original Ubuntu forums. Since the new Ubuntu 7.10 is going to take like... 3 days to download... I decided to just install Breezy and just upgrade up by version but I'm already having problems.

When I switch to my screen resolution to 1440X900 @ 60MZ, the screen is messed up and its not really "widescreen" , as you say it. I need on help on that.

I also need help installing the ATI driver, since i'm a big Linux noob on it. I have a 9800 Pro Atlantis, so yeah.

As you can see, i'm doing this on my computer to show my Dad how much Linux could be useful to him with his server and the old computer he uses for storage, and if I can get both of these working, I might stick with it and install Wine after I get everything fixed. :rolleyes:

[I'm a linux noob, go easy on me.]

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Breezy_Installation_Guide

omgwtfbbq!

Worked for me! well I don't have a wide screen, after installing the drivers you should be able to get those resolutions.

But if you want to show your dad how "great and usefull linux is", then don't EVER talk about the problems you just have now, because it shows its not an easy OS for the casual computer user.

I tried to show other people how "great linux is", and when something went wrong it took me a bit longer then with windows to fix it, I fixed it, but it took longer and it involved using the console and so they were like "ohnoes, linux sux!".

It seems that every casual pc/xp user ph34rs the console <.<

Anyways, I hope this will help you out. :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It helped me, thanks! I installed Wine and I want to get Steam working under it... but I don't get what the step 3 means.

HOWTO: Installing and Running Steam

1. Install Wine 0.9.19 or newer
2. Install tahoma.ttf from either a Windows installation, or download from the net. Copy it to '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts' or install it into your system.
3. Install Gecko Engine by running
Code:
      wine iexplore http://winehq.org
and clicking on Install button. If the Gecko engine doesn't download (servers are down) then download wine_gecko.cab to the "/tmp" directory and point Wine to it (save this as-is to the "/tmp/file.reg" then import with command 'regedit /tmp/file.reg':

Code:
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\MSHTML]
      "GeckoUrl"="z:\\tmp\\wine_gecko.cab"
4. Download Steam installer from http://www.steampowered.com and run it with

Code:
      msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi
This is a new installer by Valve. Quite recently there was an exe-installer. For that one use wine SteamInstall.exe. Steam should create a nice icon on your desktop that you can use to run Steam with.
5. Start steam.exe from ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/ if the installer doesn't open it automatically. You must cd to the working directory before you run it.

If you having problems logging-in or want to start a game directly see useful Steam command-line parameters.

Your steam install is now complete.
Ugh, what I mean is I don't understand #3. It doesn't open anything and I don't think I got IE Explorer inside Wine. o_o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm stuck at the DLL part... when I open the config file... it shows nothing and it's a read only file. I even opened it with sudo and all I see is a blank page. :cry:

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm stuck at the DLL part... when I open the config file... it shows nothing and it's a read only file. I even opened it with sudo and all I see is a blank page. :cry:
Hmm, seems you have to give yourself the right to write it.

But with sudo you should be able to write it, and if its blank, try to see if there isn't anymore information on that website about it.

I can't really help you a lot i'm afraid, I never installed steam on my ubuntu machine (yeah I also got ubuntu).

Still, if you want to open the file in your non-root account, try to type the following at the prompt.

Code:
sudo chmod g+w file
Or if you are sure noone else can come on your pc, you can also do

Code:
sudo chmod 777 file
- chmod 755 file : rwxr-xr-x, all rights to the owner, other people only read and execute;
- chmod 644 file : rw-r--r--, owner car read and write, other people only read;
- chmod 777 file : can be considered bad practice in some cases, full permissions to everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom