Ubuntu and Games

Best answers
ok, I got fed up with windows XP and 2k

2k wont allow me to burn DVDs at 16 X... yes the DVDs do support them
Moserbaer

Anyways, XP wont allow me to run ESF on anything BUT software mode. And not just esf, even HL. And its not like i dont have RAM or need to defragment or stuff. i just cleaned my entire pc. And i have all the system resources i need. 2k is fine with me, but i need to know.
Will all games work with Ubuntu?

I've heard of this thing called wine,. said to emulate a windows environment and stuff. But will HL, steam and ESF work there. And any other games for that matter?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not XP preventing you from running stuff, but ****ty hardware. What are your specs?

Best answers
pretty ****ty seeing as i lack a fx card. but with 1.1 GB RAM it should seeing as I could play any game on win2k.
But my mind's made up about XP.

I wanna know if ubuntu will support the following with the wine software:
1. Steam and Hl and ESF
2. VC++6

Others I can live with.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pretty ****ty seeing as i lack a fx card. but with 1.1 GB RAM it should seeing as I could play any game on win2k.
But my mind's made up about XP.

I wanna know if ubuntu will support the following with the wine software:
1. Steam and Hl and ESF
2. VC++6

Others I can live with.

Yes, but you might have to tweak it up a little.
i even got WoW working on Wine with highest graphics and playing faster than in windows xp :)

About that part you not having gfx card is pretty weird. You should really get one for a bargain, the prices really vary about from 20-500 dollars.
But if you're really switching to linux, i'm not sure about wine, but you might get them work with cedega, it only costs 5 dollars a month , though.

_______

I still think you shouldn't need to switch, since the gfx card is the matter.
Maybe after you bought them , and install dx 9.0 (if not already) and after that try, if not working, switch to linux.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll sell you my old gfx card...it's a radeon cheapo one but it worked pretty well on my old computer.

Anyone need a cellphone too?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing with hl and software mode is caused by your lack of a gfx card.
Won't change when you use ubuntu (or any other OS).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, hardware mode requires hardware.

Best answers
anyways im back to win 2k. Have to live with the dvd writing problem.... till i get that gfx card. Prolly late may. Yeah. meh that was n00bish.... I opted for a 1 Gb ram for this month. Oh well. Atleast ESF works at full gfx and smoothly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom