Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bolteh2

B
Abe Froman said:
SayainPride is ANGRY ON THE INTERNET!!!

Doom 3 was fun for what it was, but no matter how you try to rationalize it, the AI was bland, the gameplay was bland, the story was bland and the scares were bland.

Intelligent Imps or possesed commandos wouldn't be TOO big a strain on "reality", would it? I mean, they aren't genuises or anything, but giving them more complex cognitive abilities than just "RAWR KILL!!!!" would have given the game sorely needed depth.

As for gameplay, it needed to be either faster or slower; it's mediocre plod with no emphasis on either reflexes or strategy was just boring and FAR too easy. Why even get scared when something jumps out when I know I can just circle strafe and shoot until the beast is dead ad nausaeum?

id seems to think the ideal way to tell a story is to make you read a PDA. Yeah.

I wasn't scared once the entire game. Things jumping out from the dark when the whole frickin screen is dark just isn't scary. It's also very easy to tell when you are about to get a "scare"; every part of an area but the one the monster jumps out into will be dark, so you are focused on that when it makes it's entrance. The scares follow a formula that just isn't, well, scary.

Also, thier COMPLETE lack of use of thier physics system is something to rag on. They could have put some nice tension building scenes in the game using falling object physics, but the most you ever really get out of it is objects jittering around when you shoot them. Yipee.

Look, the game was gorgeous and somewhat entertaining, but it definitely wasn't what it could have been. To say otherwise would show a pretty big bias towards id.

EDIT: By the way, I don't see why you couldn't mix the fast gameplay of Doom 1 + 2 with a decent story and atmosphere with a little bit of effort.

Also I completely agree with you about Far Cry, it was sub par for the same reasons Halo and Doom 3 were sub par.
seconded..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom