True DBZ Beam Starts

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
suggestion from a bt! ohnoes!
put it up for public opinion..

Ok before I start, excuse me for my crappy mspaint jobs..

Okay, before I heard that beams cant really flare out because its only one sprite thats round and faces your screen. Well I have an idea that gives those flare effects.

This works similar to how beams themselves work. Incase you dont know how beams look like beams, heres a picture of what makes it look like one.

Now how i am suggesting is that beam starts take 3 sprites. One is the current round sprite, and 2 more that cross into it like a beam. Here are some incredibly crappy illistrated pics.

The cross sprites would be animated to move outwards away from your character to give it that feeling energy is flowing out of you and into the beam.

Now at some angles I know this effect would look weird, but that also applies to beams themselves... AND it would look nothing like this crap i threw up there, just how it would work.

C&C? Hope you understand the idea..

Best answers
Hmm, maybe the coding prohibits that? Or is it just a case of getting a sprite. if that is the case then maybe look on esfworld or something?

Best answers
10/10 I was thinking about the same, but in a bit diffirent way. The way you presented it is perfect. Im in for it!!!!!! :D

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I woudln't mind a flaring beam star sprite at all, instead of just sitting there with a bglowing ball at your hands. if it was possible, maybe some ligh streaming backwards. which is really a trans[arent semi circle with a gradient color. And perhaps dust/water rippling when you shoot it, since it already does that when you power up.

Best-signature-ever

Best answers
I think the flared beam idea would be great, and maybe even going a little further with the idea wouldn't be too bad. One thing I notice when I play is that there are those little unnoticable guys charging up an attack large enough to kill everyone in the room. Obviously if people saw this, they'd concentrate on blocking or stopping the attack (or just going into adv melee lol). I think someone mentioned the idea of a larger flare from attacks based on PL (from the connected forum link), but I know that's a few steps ahead of what we're talking about here.

Instead, maybe make a basic sprite that charges up more over time with any "beam" attack, so this way there is an aura people can notice. I dont think this is unfair either, considering the immense power that goes into the attack, and the fact that they can also be mobile while charging it... except for masenko and Trunk's burning attack. I suppose if this were added, it would make using these beams more useful, since special beam cannon is obviously the better choice.

Maybe this sprite could also change as the beam attack is shot, so it could change its angle to flare outward, and upward before it's shot. It might look kind of odd, but if it were basic enough, I think it might be easy enough. Anyway, even if this suggestion can't work for HL1, it may be something to consider for later.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
this idea has been suggested a few times already and I still like it ^^
beams should be changed so they look like actual dbz beams.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
this idea has been suggested a few times already and I still like it ^^
beams should be changed so they look like actual dbz beams.
God I could kiss you right now DJ. Beams should always look like DBZ beams. I tink someone should redo the sprites for 1.3

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
actualy im suprised DJ dosent know this. But there is a beamspritepack animated like that on ESF-world i had it once but i dont know what it was called -_- so look a bit

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting. It could go for just a certain distance like the flamethrower will, so perhaps this could be done.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
thats not the same grega, since those sprites are always aligned to the camera :p

i think that pic descripts the idea pretty well. instead of REPLACING the ball start, add a new cross sprite right after it, so the the ball is still over it and you avoid looking directly at the cross since you still got the ball.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
thats not the same grega, since those sprites are always aligned to the camera :p

i think that pic descripts the idea pretty well. instead of REPLACING the ball start, add a new cross sprite right after it, so the the ball is still over it and you avoid looking directly at the cross since you still got the ball.
Yes thats exactly the purpose of the ball sprite.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
well however you do it it would be alot cooler this way

off topic:
........chakra your sigs funny as hell

Best answers
i like it but when you shoot forward it would probablu be hard to aim i think it could be tweaked

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
(Not sure on this) There used to be a sprite on www.esf-world.com that was animated JUST like what u want..take a look..

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I assume you mean this...
http://www.esf-world.com/main.php?content=fileinfo&file_id=21436

and no, this is nothing like the suggestion. the way how the esf-world one works is, its a single sprite that is animated to be wavy like, but the problem is no mater what angle you look at it, its always facing the same direction..

now how this will work, It uses 3 different sprites to make this effect.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
I assume you mean this...
http://www.esf-world.com/main.php?content=fileinfo&file_id=21436

and no, this is nothing like the suggestion. the way how the esf-world one works is, its a single sprite that is animated to be wavy like, but the problem is no mater what angle you look at it, its always facing the same direction..

now how this will work, It uses 3 different sprites to make this effect.
And with this one that Raven is talking about, Would look FREAKING awesome! Like serious, you'd have to get new underwear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom