Triple monitor setup

Best answers
I'm starting to get used to my 24" + 19" monitor setup at work, so now I'm feeling cramped at my home computer (2 x 19"), so I'm toying with the idea of adding a third 24" monitor. I'm also looking for a new videocard, my 6600GT needs some upgrading. What would be the cheapest way to set this up? Does any new videocard support 3 monitors, or should I also get a cheap 2nd videocard?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Might wanna look at the 9800 series or after - *might* have that capability. Otherwise, it might be easier to just upgrade the card and use the 6600 for the third -should work I think.

Best answers
Thanks for the answers so far.

I was checking out the 9800 series, they appear to have 3 video connectors (2x hdmi, 1x dvi). Does this mean you can hook up 3 monitors or do they just provide different alternatives for 2 monitors?

I only have one 'large' PCIe slot on my motherboard, so I can't move my 6600GT to another slot.

I don't really want a triplehead2go, that's too expensive + I'd like to have 3 separate monitors (so I can maximize a window on 1 of them for instance).

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows should be able to handle a third extra monitor. But I am not sure if you will need a product like Matrox has to actually be able to use it, or if just connecting the connectors is sufficient.

Hmmm, as far as I can see from this thread, it should work: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1316674/last It's dutch though, It shouldn't be a problem for you. :p Basicaly, the thread says it IS possible to use 3 monitors with 2 graphics cards(although I am not sure if 1 card only can support 3 monitors.), but if you want to use 3 monitors for gaming, you will have to use Triplehead2go, and the game has to support it as far as I know.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
My motherboard has both an AGP and PCI-E slot, and I could in theory run two vid cards and four monitors in Win XP. Three monitors off of one card should be possible.

Best answers
lemme ask over at BRBU. We've got a few good tech heads.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Ok, got an answer. Yes it *should* work.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/3-monitors-vista-64-bit-nvidia-9800-gx2

You may have some problems, but nothing you can't handle I imagine. The 9800 does have the capability.
That's the GX2 though, isn't that just basically two videocards in one huge package? I wonder if the cheaper 9800's can do the same. I don't really have any fancy expansion slots besides my 16x PCIe slot, guess I'll find a PCI or PCIe 1x videocard if 3 monitors on one card isn't a somewhat cheap option.

Edit:
Hm.. I'm leaning towards this now: http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=265&grp=3.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sound Artist
Best answers
At work we just use 1 lame video card, but we have an ATI splitter for 3 monitors, works out well. The splitter is around 100$ though, probably cheaper than purchasing another vid card.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Nvidia Hybrid SLI

With that you can switch between the onboard GPU, the PCIe one or SLI mode for 3 monitors
You'd need a new mobo and graphics card for that though (one with hSLI support)

Best answers
Nvidia Hybrid SLI

With that you can switch between the onboard GPU, the PCIe one or SLI mode for 3 monitors
You'd need a new mobo and graphics card for that though (one with hSLI support)
Meh, you can do the same with an ATI 4850 X2 or 4870 X2, which is basically 2 videocards ducttaped together to work in one PCIe slot. Nvidia does the same with the more expensive 9800's. I think I'll go for an 4850 X2.

Busy Busy Busy
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
At work we have 3 monitors running on a single machine using two Nvidia 7000 series cards.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
4850 X2 is a solid choice. What monitor are you getting? I run an Acer P243W. I think they are no longer made, but they were cheap and effective. ~$250 and definitely a gaming orientated monitor (color can be bad at times).

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
dual gpu cards are also power consumption whores

Best answers
I have this Samsung at work, the picture quality is fine with me, but the light-touch buttons get stuck all the time which annoys the hell out of me. Also had some weird issue with the dvi output randomly not working, which seemed to occur somewhat often according to our helpdesk.

I'll also be looking at this Iiyama:
http://www.paradigit.nl/info.php?group=8&art=10020269
It's a bit faster than the Samsung and according to some reviews, the picture quality is better. I also like its design a bit more. Resolution is slightly lower though :( Both of them come with 3 year pick up and return warranty.

As for the videocard, I'm not sure yet. The 4850 X2 seems to be horrifically loud and I need a new power supply for it. I'll probably get the monitor and a cheap extra PCI card first.

Last edited:
Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
glad to see it's working and looking awesome :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom