Tremors Graboid Game Model

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tremors Graboid and Shrieker Game Models

Hey, I've been doing some work for the GarrysMod community lately, namely animating for custom npc's, but this time I wanted to put the skills I gained from a recent game modeling class.

I got the idea a little while ago to do a more unique type of npc, one that had more strategy and dynamics in the player dealing with it than the typical cycle of "chase, get in attack range, attack until dead" that is easily countered by finding cover as well as a decent firearm.

If any of you have ever seen any of the "Tremors" films, you'll likely have heard of the Graboid, a 30 foot long underground predatory worm that hunts with sound and can swallow a man whole without even exposing itself.

There were no existing models for this, so I thought I'd make one myself.

The entire model as it is now is 1808 polys. I feel nearly satisfied with it's shape and structure and want to begin UVW mapping and texturing, but as I got little critique at Facepunch, I thought I might come here and submit it for review before pushing onward.

I should note that the tentacles and spikes are separate elements so as to simplify the texturing process. I have not finished assigning smoothing groups either, so some faceted areas exist.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoo!

Not sure if anyone cares about this at all (since nobody so much as acknowledged this thread's existence) but Got plenty to update!

I'm not great at texturing, but some folks among the GMod community took a real liking to what I was doing, and yielded these awesome results in giving the Graboid a texture. There's bump also, but that's only a placeholder really, as it's just the diffuse map used as a bump map.

And, I finally got around to modeling the second life stage of the Graboid, the "Shrieker". In a couple days I was able to get these results, and I'm in the process of finishing the model up for UVW unwrapping :)

I dunno about anyone else, but I think I've come a long way since high school graduation, when the concept of polyflow was an utter mystery to me. Gotta love the "connect" function...

The Shrieker is currently at 3,246 polys, well within tolerance of the Source Engine (Alyx Vance's model approaches something in the range of 10,000).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's pretty cool. good flow you've got going for the most part!

how will you be painting your bump/normalmap for it? is the texture photosourced or free painted?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's pretty cool. good flow you've got going for the most part!

how will you be painting your bump/normalmap for it? is the texture photosourced or free painted?
The texturing, as far as I can tell, used some photo samples of the real thing.

And the skinners are the ones handling the bump maps. There were quite a few volunteers....it really took off...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL

I swear, if you complete that model, I will use it. Never thought anybody would model a graboid.

Best answers
For some reason I want this in Left 4 Dead... :O

The texture looks really nice.

not sure if the top of the legs (where they connect to the body) of the big guy would deform correctly.

looks cool though nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom