Tournament System Revised for 1.3

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
[align=center]General Low-down
[/align]

As you already know, tournament is a gathering of competitors in one area to compete who is the greatest of them all. Like the World Martial Arts Tournament in DB/Z, only 2 fighters (1vs1) are allowed to fight, while the others are fighting in a free-for-all in another section of the map, when a victor is found between the first two competitors the next two fighters are called in for the next match.

This is a revised suggestion of my previous idea, mentioned back in 2004, seeing how I’ve been getting reports that this idea would seriously work in Earth Special Forces. These revisions include, the new transformations, new melee system that might be implemented, other additions that might be included in Earth Special Forces 1.3. Now, what is really interesting, and would definitely make this work, is the new melee system idea in the Design Documents Thread. If it’s not turn based like it is now, it would cause for some really exciting matches between opponents. It would also work for the limitations of the warm-up session (if any applied to the server), since you’ll be able to do basic energy attacks while in melee (ki blast, and possibly generic beam)

* Sub-Arenas and Preliminary Matches originally thought up by Davidskiwan *

The tournament will be designed in brackets, much like in the DragonBallZ Budokai games, depending on how many players are currently on the server, it could be a 2, 3, 4, 5, or even 6 bracket tournament.

[align=center]Rules[/align]
  1. At the start of the map, random players are given an opponent that is chosen by the server. Then put in random spots on the Tournament Board. There is probably a 2-10 minute wait so players can join, and get ready. After this period, players that join are automatically put into the free-for-all area, until the next tournament begins.
    1. The map will be divided into sub-arenas, 4-6 depending upon map. Those 4-6 arenas will be used for all preliminary matches, and all 4-6 arenas will be used simultaneously.
    2. During the preliminary matches, all other players currently not involved in the tournament, or the ones that have lost, and are waiting for the next round, will be fighting in the main arena in a free-for-all.
    3. No player that is not participating in the tournament will be able to watch the preliminary rounds, if he/she tries, he/she will be denied.
      • There will be a video screen (if capable with the Half-Life Engine, though I'm sure it's not) where it will display the current tournament results to the players.
      • If that is not possible, then it will either be implemented into the scoreboard, or a seperate window will be created for the tournament results.
    4. Once the semi-finals, and/or finals have begun, the tournament will be moved to the main arena, where the semi-finals, or finals (depending on how many brackets there are) will take place.
      • All fighters not participating will be in spectator mode for the semi-finals and/or finals.
      • If the bracket size is less than 4, then the semi-finals will occur in the preliminary arenas, which means no one can watch the semi-finals.
      • If the bracket size is 5+, then the semi-finals will occur in the main arena, and all players will be able to watch.
  2. Once all of the opponents have been chosen, the tournament begins with the first batch. There are 2+ brackets depending on how many players are in. If there are an odd amount of players, then a random player is chosen to fight his opponent, and the player that doesn't have one.
  3. Once a winner is found, he moves up the ladder, and waits for his next opponent to be chosen.
  4. Once the last remaining players are left, they are pitted together for the championship.
  5. Once a player has won a championship, he is either given a set amount of points, depending upon which place that user got.
  6. There can be a limit on how many times players can win a championship in a tournament on a particular map.
  7. In-between matches, all players (except players in current tournament match) will be in a free-for-all mode, which means kill everything in sight, until it's your turn to fight in the next tournament match.
  8. All late users that join the server, will automatically be put into the free-for-all mode, and will not participate in the tournament, until the next round.
  9. During the warm-up session, you will be able to use all your attacks, even if a limit is set, so be careful, if you use an illegal move, you will use reputation upon yourself.
  10. Also, if there is a transformation limit, you will still be able to transform, but if you try and go above the limited transformations, you will also lose reputation points.
[align=center]CVARS/Commands
[align=left]Due to the added features of this Tournament gametype, new CVARs, and Commands will have to made up to manage the features mentioned in this suggestion.
[/align]
[/align]

• Server CVARS
    • tm_warmup - Specifies how long the warm-up session should last, in minutes. What this would do is the following:
      • All attacks should inflict 1/2 damage (this includes melee)
      • No large energy attacks allowed (includes kamehameha, gallit gun, final flash, big bang attack, etc.)
      • Only generic balls, and beams are allowed.
      • If powerlevel will allow, you will not be able to transform.
        • After the warm-up time-period, both players will have the option (This is for their benefit) to wait and transform to their transformed state.
        • If a player is going up against a character that has a permanent transformation, and is already in that form, they will still be able to transform, as long as they are able to.
        • They cannot transform if they are at or close to (positive side) their transform powerlevel.
    • tm_warmupthrowcharge <#> - 4 options can be used to set the maximum charge for throwing, while in a warm-up session.
      • 0 - Cannot throw opponents.
      • 1 - Throw charge limited to 1/3 of the bar.
      • 2 - Throw charge limited to 1/2 of the bar.
      • 3 - Throw charge is not limited. You can fully charge the throw.
    • tm_throwcharge <#> - 4 options can be used to set the maximum charge for throwing, while in an actual match.
      • 0 - Cannot throw opponents.
      • 1 - Throw charge limited to 1/3 of the bar.
      • 2 - Throw charge limited to 1/2 of the bar.
      • 3 - Throw charge is not limited.
    • tm_warmupcflimit <#> - Sets amount of transformations that are allowed during a warm-up match.
      • 0 – No transformations allowed – Even permanent transformed characters will drop to their non-transformed state.
      • 1 – Only the first transformation is available.
      • 2 – Only the first two transformations are available
      • 3 – Only the first three transformations or all transformations are available, depending upon character.
      • 4 – All Transformations available.
    • tm_cflimit <#> - Sets amount of transformations that are allowed during a tournament match.
      • 0 – No transformations allowed – Even permanent transformed characters will drop to their non-transformed state.
      • 1 – Only the first transformation is available – Even permanent transformed characters in their 2nd state will power down to their first transformed state.
      • 2 – Only the first two transformations are available – Even permanent transformed characters in their 3rd state will power down to their second state.
      • 3 – Only the first three transformations or all transformations are available, depending upon character.
      • 4 – All Transformations available.
  • Client Commands
    • +forfeit - hold this down for 5 seconds to forfeit the match. If you do this, you will not receive any power boost because you excepted yourself from the tournament.
    • +giveup - Same concept as +forfeit. But instead, player quits the current match, but doesn't except self from tournament, which means he will still get a power boost. (This can be done if you know your going to lose, and don't feel like being humiliated.)
    • give_rep - Pops up a menu on the left for giving reputation points to users currently on the server.
[align=center]Awards
[/align]
The awards are simple. If you place in the top three in a tournament, you get rewarded with a powerlevel boost, and if placed in the top two, you get to choose your first opponent. If you are the champion, you can even sit out until the final match, if you wish so. Here’s an outline of how this would look:

• 1st place
    • 1,000,000 pl boost
    • Spot on championship board
    • Can choose who first opponent can be on first round of the next tournament, or sit out and wait until the final round of the tournament to fight.
  • 2nd Place
    • 750,000 pl boost
    • Can choose who first opponent can be on first round of next tournament.
  • 3rd place
    • 500,000 pl boost
  • All other competitors
    • 300,000 pl boost
[align=center]Reputation System
[/align]
Reputation System won't be a global thing that passes on from server-to-server, but rather a localized within the server type of deal. The user's reputation is kept on the server for records, and is kept through the duration he/she is logged into the server. After he logs off, a timer initiates which once ended, will remove that user's record from the server (to prevent logoff/logon abuse).

• Reputation is kept on the server, and after the user disconnects, is stored for 15 minutes then removed.
  • By right-clicking their name in the scoreboard obviously, since it's the only place where you can get the mouse by clicking the left mouse button, or via special menu, and select reputation. (I have no idea if this would work.), and select a # from ˉ10-10 (ˉ10 meaning bad, and 10 meaning great)
  • During the match, or while waiting, you press a key, and a menu comes up with the #'s as selections:
    • ˉ10-ˉ5
      • 1=ˉ10~6=ˉ5
    • ˉ4-0
      • 1=ˉ4~5=0
    • 1-5
      • 1=1~5=5
    • 6-10
      • 1=6~5=10
  • If someone does a bad move, for example: fires a large attack during a warm-up session, his reputation will get 1 point deducted from their reputation points.
  • Now this is something that might require a lot of coding but, when both players say gg, good game, gf, good fight, or whatever. Both players will receive +1 reputation for being good sport, and the complete opposite if one of them says, bf, bad fight, ghey, ***, you suck, etc, etc. If a player says this a second time, it will have no effect, to prevent abusing.
[align=center]Scoring
[/align]
Scoring will be done a little different in the Tournament. Rather than giving a user one point for each tournament won, he'll get a set amount of points depending on how many times he's won the tournament in succession. Here's how it would work:

• There will be a new column in the scoreboard called Tournament Wins, or something that is shorter, whichever. That column will show how many times that user has won a tournament during that particular session of the game.
  • Each time a user that has made it to the top 3 of the tournament; he would get 1 point added to his wins (which is only visible by that user). And each time he doesn't make it in the top 3 of the tournament, those wins get reset back to 0.
    • 1st Place
      • 3*n (n being the number of consecutive wins)
    • 2nd Place
      • 2*n (n being the number of consecutive wins)
    • 3rd Place
      • 1*n (n being the number of consecutive wins)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like this idea , even though i hurt my eyes on a 60hz refresh rate at 1280x1024 due to alot of reading :(. Seems very well thought through system though , especialy those dam ingame payer that like to howl abuse towards others on that particular server.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Thanks. I would like to mention that this is a revised version of my older Tournament system, which was thought up for 1.2, but never considered. I'm not going to post a link to it, but if you're interested in the older version, run a search for "Tournament Game Type", and it should be the 5th one in that list.

Also I would appreciate any changes that would positively help this suggestion grow

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Krazy-Killa said:
[align=center]Rules
[/align]
  1. At the start of the map, random players are given an opponent that is chosen by the server. Then put in random spots on the Tournament Board. There is probably a 2-10 minute wait so players can join, and get ready. After this period, players that join are automatically put into the free-for-all area, until the next tournament begins.
  2. Once all of the opponents have been chosen, the tournament begins with the first batch. There are 2+ brackets depending on how many players are in. If there are an odd amount of players, then a random player is chosen to fight his opponent, and the player that doesn't have one.
  3. Once a winner is found, he moves up the ladder, and waits for his next opponent to be chosen.
  4. Once the last remaining players are left, they are pitted together for the championship.
  5. Once a player has won a championship, he is either given a set amount of points, depending upon which place that user got.
  6. There can be a limit on how many times players can win a championship in a tournament on a particular map.
  7. In-between matches, all players (except players in current tournament match) will be in a free-for-all mode, which means kill everything in sight, until it's your turn to fight in the next tournament match.
  8. All late users that join the server, will automatically be put into the free-for-all mode, and will not participate in the tournament, until the next round.
  9. During the warm-up session, you will be able to use all your attacks, even if a limit is set, so be careful, if you use an illegal move, you will use reputation upon yourself.
  10. Also, if there is a transformation limit, you will still be able to transform, but if you try and go above the limited transformations, you will also lose reputation points.
[align=center]CVARS/Commands
[align=left]Due to the added features of this Tournament gametype, new CVARs, and Commands will have to made up to manage the features mentioned in this suggestion.
[/align]
[/align]
Good idea Indeed, but I was thinking that the other users had to 'Watch' the Tournament. Like on the sides where the crowd is, they could just stand there and wait for the match to end. The Match could also last 5 Minutes, so the AFKers don't ruin the whole match with the 1 hour waiting to get back. But I haven't read the Tournament mode part on the Notes for 1.3 if they were released so. :eek:

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Yah, I was thinking that, but when I suggested it for my earlier suggestion, about 1/3 of the community said no, put everyone into a free-for-all mode. I mean I can see why they would want that, because some of the tournament matches might last a long time, if you take into consideration how skilled each player is, and the gap between them. Maybe a selection box, like so you can select if you want to just watch, or fight in a seperate area. I'm aiming for user interaction, and giving the user alittle more freewill torward the game.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Krazy-Killa said:
Yah, I was thinking that, but when I suggested it for my earlier suggestion, about 1/3 of the community said no, put everyone into a free-for-all mode. I mean I can see why they would want that, because some of the tournament matches might last a long time, if you take into consideration how skilled each player is, and the gap between them. Maybe a selection box, like so you can select if you want to just watch, or fight in a seperate area. I'm aiming for user interaction, and giving the user alittle more freewill torward the game.
True.. When you're in the FFA part, the kills and attacks won't count, so when you kill someone in FFA mode it won't add to your Kill/Death list and won't add to your pl. After the match has won, I was thinking it pulled you into a special room or into the Tournament ring with a score board drawing on which player vs. player.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I was more thinking that you will get a pl increase in FFA, mainly because the tournament competiters are getting a powerlevel boost while they fight. It should count for everyone that is in FFA, since the late entries would have to wait till the next round. So if the PL didn't increase during FFA, they would be at a disadvantage, mainly because the tournament competiters that were fighting will be stronger next round, but also be able to achieve a higher transformation state, if they reach it. Even though it doesn't sound good. I like to think about balance, and making it fair for everyone. So yah:
  • During FFA, pl increases while fighting. This counts for late entries, and people waiting to fight.
  • Kills/Deaths do not count in FFA.
  • You cannot transform while in FFA (To prevent double teaming for gaining power faster) If you can transform, you can only do it while in the tournament floor.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
sounds alot like my tournament idea.. http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=56463

but urs has a few things that are slightly different
Your idea seems interesting enough. There is one thing that completely sets yours and mine apart, and that's the 4 fights simultaneously, and 5 seperate arenas, 4 of them used for the perliminary matches, and the main arena used for the semi-finals and finals, and how you use the main arena as the practice, and final match area. If you don't mind, I'd like to add that concept to my suggestion, you'll get full credit for it, obviously. It's a neat, and original concept for the game (not in the series) :].

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no problem =] they're just idea's =P

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Cool thanks. heh I'll update the post then. :)

*EDIT* First Post modified with Sub-Arena suggestion. Credit goes to Davidskiwan for this

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
from the mappers point of view, I say players not in a fight will be spectating (as their selected class), not able to attack, fly or swoop but only running around watching the match.
But overall I like that idea, now whos gonna code it? >_>

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
That could also work, and yah from a mappers view, it'll be less of a hassel to develop multiple spawnpoints, and other entities that'll, from a mappers point of view (I too am a map designer), be somewhat useless, since they're not being used as much as they would in deathmatch, and management for each map would be alot easier (If updates are neccessary).

But from a players point of view, I'll run across the problem of the gametype being too "boring" in terms of waiting, but since Quake 3 Arena had a tournament mode, but you were only spectating, I can see that letting people run around with their class watching the tournament from a point of view of a character, it would be more exciting than floating around like a flying camera watching the fights.

And btw, the only reason I don't map for Half-Life, is that I have no idea how the map program works, nor the inner-workings of the half-life map system, and how they're developed. I've only developed maps for Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3 Arena.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Great idea :p me likes. Maybe make the Preliminary Matches in the time chamber map (rosat) (sorta like training for the tournament). Probably a bad idea, but instead of creating new maps just modify time chamber map.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
That would involve having to change maps for each transition from preliminary Match, to the final matches of the tournament, which takes time.

This gametype would have to have dedicated maps created for it, but that would be twice as good, because you have maps that don't have useless entities that aren't required for tournaments. Like spawn points, dragonballs, and other entities that would not be neccessary for a tournament map. Plus modifying maps wouldn't be a good idea either, since they have multiple spawnpoints, and if the tournament gametype will use deathmatch spawnpoints, then the two fighters would spawn in random spots, and occassionally far away from each other, and it would be time consuming just looking for each other.

So... Having dedicated maps for this gametype would be alot better in the long run, than modified maps, or using multiple maps for each section of the tournament.

Best answers
One more think to code, when player flyes from arena and fighting outside the arena, in your screen must be a camera that shows were the fighters is. O_O

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Too be honest, I do not believe maps will be big enough to the point that the two fighters will be out of view of the spectators, so the need of a camera type screen on the player's hud wouldn't be neccessary in this situation, and plus, you can fly towards them anyways, keeping in mind that you'll be limited on how close you can be to the players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom