Total Annihilation VS. StarCraft

Which do you think is the greatest RTS of all time?

• StarCraft

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Total Annihilation

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Which do you think is the greatest RTS of all time?

EDIT: And yes I realise I typo'd one of the poll options but the silly forums won't let me edit it.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You just had to go and ask this question didn't you? These two games are my favorite RTS's of all time, and now you want ME, to tell YOU which one is better? I don't even know if I can tell you... I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one. Actually, I'll probably have to go with Starcraft, ONLY, and ONLY becuase I have more friends that play it. If you were to ask me in general which game is more fun, and better made? I would probably go with Supreme Commader.

Heh, I almost abbreviated Supreme Commander to SC until I realized no one would know which one I was talking about.

What do you guys like better, SC or SC?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Total Annihilation. First RTS i played and still best at the ground combat ones. Second place would go to Warzone 2100 for its campagin concept and third to Star Craft. Followed by C&C and its lookalikes and finally dead last with no hope of ever gaining a single point. Warcraft and everything related.

Thats how my book goes.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Between those two, StarCraft easily wins. But there are many better RTS games out there. Company of Heroes, the Total War series, Supreme Commander, they're all great. Choosing a favorite isn't as easy when you're picking from the best.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Total War.

I prefer the Warhammer RTS' though.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
StarCraft.

TA is free on Fileplanet, and even then I couldn't bring myself to enjoy that joke of a RTS.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm about to try out Dawn of War. It looks fun. :)
DoW is pretty good actually, I was playing through the sequel and the expansion up until SC2 came out. Haven't really touched it since. Not that it's bad, just that SC2 was just way more drawing.

Speaking of, SC wins for me. TA was good, but there's something magical about SC.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone who calls TA a joke of a RTS would probably call the Original Super Mario Brothers a joke of a platformer compared to Sonic on the Genesis because it had better graphics. Total Annihilation didn't have as robust of a story, that's about all I can say for its difficiencies against Starcraft.

Both games are amazing RTS', but I'm giving my vote to TA because of the undue hate towards its awesomeness.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Both are among the greatest RTS games ever made. I'm going to have to give this to Starcraft though, because come on, it's Starcraft.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never got into SC. Supposedly it was/is a great game...but I just never really digged playing it. Maybe I just started to play SC too late, and I was already spoiled by newer games. I loved TA when it was released though. Played the game to death. I think I recently saw my copy lying around somewhere....I should install it again.

Hmmm...Big Berta...

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well a history lesson then.

TA was pretty much what made the RTS games as we know them today. SC was a contract blizzard got. SC was supposed to be the first Warhammer game for PC. Contract got canned, blizzard switched the models a bit and Star Craft was born. The other spin off from the same contract was Warcraft. A different aproach, but has the same base. Which is Warhammer.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well a history lesson then.

TA was pretty much what made the RTS games as we know them today. SC was a contract blizzard got. SC was supposed to be the first Warhammer game for PC. Contract got canned, blizzard switched the models a bit and Star Craft was born. The other spin off from the same contract was Warcraft. A different aproach, but has the same base. Which is Warhammer.
This has NEVER been confirmed by Blizzard, or Gamers Workshop, it has been rumored by fans, but neither company has EVER said anything about it.

Also, no, C&C you have to thank for RTS's as they are today.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But Dune 2 wasn't as wide-spread, the start must be wide-spread.

I mean Pasta originated from China, but most people think Italy.(Because it's more well known)

Same with CnC.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am going to have to agree with the awesome of C&C, and it should have been up there in this mashup.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Oh my god, TA was mah **** back in the day, for some reason I never bothered playing another RTS since then.

Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I am going to have to agree with the awesome of C&C, and it should have been up there in this mashup.
I have my reasons for leaving it out mate. Had the circumstances been different it would have been in there. But I agree entirely - CnC was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom