"Top Ten Reasons You Failed the Dreamcast"

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still have my Dreamcast and i play it once and then.
And the Dreamcast isnt that much outdated.There arent so mayn new consoles released from that time till now.
As far as i remember it was a little equal to PS2.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
SegaNET was crappy, even compared to AOL. The VMU's broke too often (can remember how many chao pets I lost due to the breaking of vmu's) There were hardly any good games (Sonic, Soul Calibur, and Skies of Arcadia are the best they had) and... other than that it was a fine system. It had nice graphics, and a nice controller. It never crashed on me either. I still play those 3 games every now and then.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Power Stone was pretty cool too. It was kind of Smash Bros-ish because you had a bunch of characters beating the **** out of each other, with powerups you could get, and items you could pick up and use against your enemies.

The Dreamcast had some interesting games, but yeah, the system did also have its faults.

To this day, I've never stopped hating the controller's D-pad. It's hellspawn, I tell you! I could never get used to it when playing King of Fighters with it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
eah the controller as wierd, but I liked the little VMU thing. When I think "Dreamcast", I usually think Sonic, Crazy Taxi and Powerstone.

The Dreamcast should have done a lot better than it did.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sega failed to branch out anything other than Sonic and 2K Sports.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love my Dreamcast, and I still play it regularly. It has so many good games, Sega made some fantastic games, and they had awesome third-party support. In fact, it's probably my favourite system of all time.

It's a shame that it didn't fair as well as it did though, it deserved a lot more credit than it was given. Oh well, at least it's easier to pirate a Dreamcast game then it is to pirate a PC game, so now I can still get all the games I never played without having to search through bargain bins at blockbuster.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-Z said:
When I think "Dreamcast", I usually think Sonic, Crazy Taxi
and Powerstone.
WORD!!! o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crazy Taxi was pretty sick. I've only ever played it once, but it was pretty awesome. It really felt nice and fast. o/ But I don't know why some people make it seem like such a great game, though. I guess perhaps I missed something? Who knows. o:

Oh! I just remembered!

My favorite Dreamcast game was Jet Set Radio. o/

I loved its music soo much, for some reason. And after playing it, if I was outside, I'd look at walls and railings and whatnot and think "Yeah, I could grind that."

Best answers
Chakra-Z said:
eah the controller as wierd, but I liked the little VMU thing. When I think "Dreamcast", I usually think Sonic, Crazy Taxi and Powerstone.

but the sound and graphic r too horrible for present.....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well of course it's not good enough for today, because it wasn't made today...What I am saying it was great for its time and I still play older games/consoles even if they are not as advanced as today's.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd play games on older Sega consoles though (namely Megadrive/Megadrive2) from time to time at a friend's place. I was suprised though when this console & game titles for it just dissappeared. I'd only got the chance to paly anything on dreamcast probably once or twice. Sega's main market to start off with was with arcade machines, & luckily Iv'e seen a few Sega titles on Gamecube, so it's not like Sega left the Console market completely given the fact that a few titles were published for other consoles.

It's ashame I never really got more time to paly games on Dreamcast, when it all dissappeared I wondered exactly as to why it did at the time. Back in the time of the Dreamcast I was a huge Nintendo Fanboi, or should I say Fankid.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
It's ashame I never really got more time to paly games on Dreamcast, when it all dissappeared I wondered exactly as to why it did at the time. Back in the time of the Dreamcast I was a huge Nintendo Fanboi, or should I say Fankid.
Well don't worry, it's not too late. I'm sure if you look around, you could find a Dreamcast somewhere for pretty cheap, and that's really all you have to do. Luckily, finding Dreamcast games online is easy and quick. They fit on a normal CD and are a breeze to burn. Now I do know that it really isn't the right thing to do, but Dreamcast games are basically impossible to find now. It's the same thing as emulating SNES games or something, everyone knows it isn't right, but no one really cares.

So ya, If you really want to experiance the Dreamcast, it isn't too late. Scour around a little and i'm sure you can find one, and since getting games is so easy, it's the only thing you really need to do. Afterwards, you'll be playing classics like Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, and many more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why did the Dreamcast actually die? All I see is this thread singing it's praises.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wikipedia.org said:
An attempt to recapture the console market with a next-generation system, it was designed to supercede Sony's PlayStation and Nintendo's Nintendo 64, and although generally considered to be "ahead of its time" (literally fifteen months before the PlayStation 2 and two years before GameCube or Xbox) it failed to gather enough momentum before the release of the PlayStation 2 in March 2000. After the Dreamcast was discontinued, Sega had no other plans to release another console.
Here's a general reason.

wikipedia.org said:
The Dreamcast was released on November 27, 1998 in Japan, on September 9, 1999 in the United States (the date 9/9/99 featured heavily in US promotion) and on October 14, 1999 in Europe. The tagline used to promote the console in the US was, "It's thinking", and in Europe "Up to 6 Billion Players". The vagueness of these campaigns and almost total lack of any in game footage has been touted as one of the reasons for the Dreamcast's eventual downfall. Many Americans knew that the Dreamcast was coming, but did not know what one was. The Dreamcast was the first console to include a built-in modem and Internet support for online gaming. It enjoyed brisk sales in its first season and was one of Sega's most successful hardware units. In the United States alone, a record 300,000 units (citation Maclean's September 24, 1999) had been pre-ordered before launch and Sega sold 500,000 consoles in just two weeks (including 225,000 sold on the first 24 hours which became a video game record until the PlayStation 2 launched a year later). In fact, due to brisk sales and hardware shortages, Sega was unable to fulfill all of the advance orders. Sega confirmed that it made $98.4 million on combined hardware and software sales with the Dreamcast with its September 9, 1999 launch. Sega even compared the record figure to the opening day gross of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, which made $28.5 million during the first 24 hours in theaters.

Before the launch in the United States, Sega had already taken the extra step in displaying Dreamcast's capabilities in stores nationwide. Much like the PlayStation's launch in North America, the displays of titles such as Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone and Hydro Thunder helped the Dreamcast succeed in the first year. Although Electronic Arts declined to support the Dreamcast which included the omission of its popular sports games (due in part to EA's losses from the past Sega Saturn), Sega Sports titles helped to fill that void.
Here's a more specific reason.

The Dreamcast technically didn't die, since near the beginning of this year you can buy them again from Sega's online store.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because i never bought one, and the only commercial i ever saw was the... the chick, the dancing game, in space...

yea that game... where at the end you danced against micheal jackson... yea...

they could of had a better mascot.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Ummm.....better Mascot? This is Sega we are talking about.....you know....SONIC?

I love the Dreamcast. It's actually sitting snugly on my shelf right now because I was playing TimeStalkers recently. Nigel is awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i liked playing the ready to rumble boxing games

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom