To the guitarists out there

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I'm playing the guitar quite a bit thesedays, I used to play from the ages of 8-13 and I got pretty decent, then stopped until now (22) been playing for like 4-5 months now, and I'm getting to the point where I can play most things if I have the tab for them and spend quite a few hours practicing.

Thats not the point though, point is, the internet is where I'm getting all my tabs from. With less known artists, its fine, good quality accurate tabs, but soon as i try looking for a well known artist (eg beatles/rolling stones etc) I get about 200 variations of the same song, and while most tab sites have ratings, they dont seem to count for jack ****. So I'm just wondering, does anyone have any tips/recommendations in finding good tabs without having to sift through tab after tab for an hour for each song you want?

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use that too. (i'm a guitar newbie btw) :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also use ultimate-guitar, and while there are many versions of one song sometimes, the ratings are pretty accurate. Just find the one with the highest stars as well as with the most votes and you should be fine.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Ultimate-Guitar is the best choice in my opinion as well. Just, make sure you always download the latest version, they're the most accurate ones.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
90% of the time ultimate-guitar will work. It's a genuinely decent site to get your info. However, if you want really accurate stuff, guitar center has books, which is probably the most accurate thing you can get. Though that costs money. Not sure if you want that.

Just a side note: Books won't be 100% accurate, nearly nothing will unless you're talking to the guitarist in question, but they're damn close.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Or better yet, you can always search for a lesson on YouTube, if you really want to be 100% accurate. Just make sure it's not some newbie trying to show off, but a professional that made the lesson. That's how I learned "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath", I couldn't get that clean part right from whatever tab I tried to learn it, until I saw this guy teaching it on YouTube, then I learnt it perfectly.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ultimate-guitar, and guitar pro, which is fairly cheap software, is the winner to be honest.

though, after about a year or two of good practice you'll be doing it by ear anyway mate.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
figures that jesus would be a guitarist.

i always just go buy the books, but in reality there is a multitude of ways to play a single riff. i'd say just transcribe it by ear. just pay attention to the sound frequency if you want to be accurate. the higher the string, the slightly "tinnier" a note will sound.

been playing for about 9 years now. still cant believe that number. seems like i only started playing a week ago.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
www.tabit.net

You'll find a whole array of pre-made tabs there, that you can actually play along with, like midi format.

You can also write your own stuff.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Or better yet, you can always search for a lesson on YouTube, if you really want to be 100% accurate. Just make sure it's not some newbie trying to show off, but a professional that made the lesson. That's how I learned "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath", I couldn't get that clean part right from whatever tab I tried to learn it, until I saw this guy teaching it on YouTube, then I learnt it perfectly.
I do this as well. And 9 times out of 10 it works out wonderfully. Especially when they show you how you should be doing it. That really helps.

Not only that, but they will generally also show you multiple ways to produce the same sound. I know a few ways to do AC/DC's back in black, the original way, and then I know an easy way. Both make the exact same sound. So yeah, don't deny youtube just because it's youtube, it definitely has some nice stuff on there.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In general, UltimateGuitar will get you what you need. In order to see which tabs are best, you really need to look through them and see any differences between tabs.

Before learning a song, I generally check through 2 or 3 different ones before deciding which one to go for after playing the parts that differ and comparing them to the original track.

With Guitar Pro, tabs with multiple parts (all guitars, drums) are more reliable than single track ones, due to the amount of dedication and precision required.

Buying the score is generally the most accurate way but costs money and not all songs are available.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah im using a mix of all the above, youtubing certain songs and searching for tabs, its just a shame that it is such a search sometimes...

Anyway, I found my old beatles book from when I was a kid, and decided, I gotta learn to play yesterday, if theres one song everyone should learn, that should probably be it (for a beatles fan anyway). But i noticed something weird, it has a line with "Vocal chords" in the key of F, then accoustic guitar chords underneath which look like they're in G, it also clicked, cuz in the demo of the song on the anthology paul says at the start "I'm playing in G, but it'll be in F for you" I'm just wondering, because I never really dabbled in music theory too much, but do they both play in different keys together, and it sounds correct? I dont see how it works, if somebody can explain it, I'd really appreciate it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
easiest way to put it, from what i understand, is they are playing a chord with the keys.

in a school band pretty much every group of instruments play in a different key. bass instruments play in E, tenor and trumpets tend to play in A, and bari's/clarinets/flutes play in B flat. (dont quote me on that, its been a while and im sure a couple are wrong).

in the larger picture "keys" are the same as notes. you put the right combinations together and you get a damn gorgeous chord.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tux guitar is a good open source alternative to GP, and can open guitar pro files. Powertab isn't a bad piece of software either.

I use ultimate-guitar a lot too, and occasionally youtube if I can't figure it out on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom