time to make a fool of myself again

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hello all,

as you probably know I am working on getting my saiyan saga vegeta 1.2 compatible.
Now a few Qs arize on my side. Sure, I made the model, animated it, etc. But I usually just try and see how it works. I might have 0 idea how it works. So let me ask. :)

First of all, the new anims. if we attack, block, w/e, does it do this from model1 attachment > model2 attackment or is it simply placing joints in sucha way that both models match?

I NEVER got the idea bout blending. Ok, you get 2 smds, you put up a blend, they mix. but theres more 2 it, sofar i heared, like multidirectional blends, and I do not get it.

Also NEVER got hitboxes. I just compile with ESF hitboxes, hoping it works but if anyone can explain me how to change hitboxes it be swell. (And pls. don't make it something like "change this", tell me WHY. I wanna learn, not copy)
if anyone also puts in how to do the attachments (same story) be great 2.

Of course I do not need explenation about making anims and stuff. just the above. Stuff to make a custom model, more custom. :) exept the model>model Q its basicly all qcfile related. (I hardly get QC files but I finally got it learned sofar that I only do not understand blends, attachments and hitboxes. all else i learned ppl. no need to explain.

Anyone willing to help me in such a way I can use the info, it be apreciated.
Also Pls give your prefered name/alias. (some have different online names then forum names)
I will put the prefered name in my credit list. :) Always say, if it helps greatly, credit. :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BUMP.
*sees mods.*
I didn't do it. It was him. *points @ mirror*

ok.. serious now. does noone have a clue?

Best answers
LOL looks like your really confused. When I see DT ill tell him to look at this post

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeh.. very confused. I might be pretty good in animating but the stuff mentioned above is still unknown to me. noone ever explained it and I still fail to teach it to myself.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I think that the hitboxes are in the QC file
just look for it there isnt many categories to look for there...

anywaytion I think that if you have diff hitboxes then the esf defaults then its a problem!
cause lets say in a server you play and some1 who doesnt play with your model
hit the hitboxes of your player thingy...
but according to your pc it didnt hit your hitboxes
there you have it!
if your doing it for another mod I guess you gonna have to use their default hitboxes
I have no clue about how to edit it though lol... sorry for being kinda useless
I hope my explanation showed you the light

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as for collusions with grapples and so on, examine the new skele's for a few models, they have attachments on the hands, these connect them i think =)

Best answers
Bone connections wouldn't work (theoretically) because the models' hands would kinda merge if they would directly attach to each other. So attachments are a way more elegant way to reduce such clipping.

Best answers
Ehm. No. No and no. Nono. NO!
I was talking about melee connections between chars being controlled either by bone positions or attachment positions...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thx ppl but I kinda knew this already. (exept the part that hitbox is server based)

the wavelength thingy was usefull yet nto what I ment.

I guess I am being to harsh huh. :(

I'll keep digging, who knows. Thanks for answering though. Its still nice. :)

Best answers
What else do you need?
I answered
-the model to model question (bones/attachments)
-hitbox question
-blending is explained in the smd tutorial

So, what else do you need?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
model model you did. txs
hitbox and blending.. well, its explained but I still do not understand. probably my hard head. >_<

Any chance you can put that in n00blanguage? :p

Best answers
OK.
If you want hitboxes on clientside models, you can only put hitboxes on bones that have at least one face assigned to it. But they are not needed, as the server already knows the hitbox coordinates.

Blending

Let's say you have an animation. But you want the player's arms, head, legs etc to move around correspponding to his curent angle of view. So you do the extreme situations.
The most basic thing would be aiming a gun up/down. OK, now I'm talking about NS, but it should be very similar for other modes on the HL engine.
First you create the position where the player aims the gun in the middle. Then you make on position out of it looking up, another one looking down. Then you have to tell the .qc for which angle of view the anims are blended and which anims are used. Look here:
$sequence "crouch_hmg_look" "crouch_hmg_look_blend1" "crouch_hmg_look_blend2" blend XR -90 90 fps 30 loop

$sequence "crouch_hmg_look" defines that this is the animation "crouch_hmg_look"
"crouch_hmg_look_blend1" "crouch_hmg_look_blend2" are the two extreme-angled anims. In NS, the first one is for down, the second one for up.
blend XR -90 90 tells the qc which angle this affects. XR is up/down. The -90 90 can limit the angle in which it is blended.
fps 30 loop anim played at 30fps, looping

This is a 2-way blend, for more than that.. ehm... I dunno XD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
damn. I was seriously hoping for a multiblend explenation.
Yet this also helped greatly.. my thanks. Just a sideQ for blending. Does the angle need extra coding or would it work if you did this for say, all animations?
I mean, does the game need coding to know this anim has a blend?

anyone who knows multiblends, I am anctious to learn. :)

even if its not needed, can you also explain hitboxes/attachments to me? As in how to make them? Never know when the info might be cool to know. :)

Txs anywayz. you got a good style of explaining. :)

Best answers
Everything for a fellow NS player :D

Hm, hitboxes... where do I have some... ah, here!

OK. Hitboxes describe the are where the enging registers a hit. So lets say you got an arm modeled, but there's no hitbox. Hits at this arm won't be actual hits for the engine. (I'm talking serversided here). So, you look at the arm bones. Then you can put up hitboxes. They depend on the joint's rotation and the dimensions you define, like
hbox 0 "Bip01 L UpperArm" 0.000000 -5.210000 -2.590000 10.320000 3.100000 3.750000

The 0 in
$hbox 0
describes the group the hitbox belongs to. On the tut I gave you there's a list for default HL hbix groups, but if you do your own mod you can edit the groups. It's like having different areas with different amounts of damage dealt.

One example on hbox "bugs":
In previous versions of The Specalists you could change your model via the "model xxxx.mdl" command. Because of animations differing from model to model you could take models that deformed horribly. You didn't know where to shoot, because while the visable model didn't form around the hitboxes the server knew about.
This was a terrible exploit :(
But it got fixed :)

About multi-directional blends... hm, if I actually find a multi-blend model I could try to explain it :D

About blends being hard-coded... Well, I'm not 100% sure but I guess it's clientside, because you can e.g. switch rotations. Once I had the case that when looking up/down the model turned left/right (early aniamtion testing o.0)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm.. wonder if its pure client side.
If so i will dig on it more and hope I find a place they explain it well.. (multi I mean)
multidirectional GG anims.. *dreams*

as for the hitboxes. How you know whihc numbers to set? I take its a grid but where to check.
yeh, NS rulz 2. Yet I aint gona model for NS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom