THQ - Games are too expensive - Lowering the price point to 40$

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/11/13/thq-games-cost-too-much

Once in awhile a politician or an executive trips up and tells the truth. This time out, it's THQ CEO Brian Farrell. Speaking to CNBC, Farrell tells Chris Morris that the price of videogames are too damn high - just like the rent in New York. The conversation began when Farrell was discussing the price of MX vs. ATV when it releases next year. Farrell pegged the price of that game at $40.

“I know investors worry about price points,” he says. “When we think about this business, we wonder if we can turn it on its head a bit. How many users can we capture? … The real key is expanding in the installed base.”

“We spent a lot of time in Asia watching that freemium model,” says Farrell “I think our markets [in the U.S.] are migrating that way, but you see it more in iPhone and iPad games right now. I think what we’re doing [with “MX vs. ATV”] shows us to be forward thinking. It’s a variation to that [freemium] theme.”

And while the game may not have a $60 price-point, Farrell sees a lot of extra money in the DLC the company has planned for it - like new vehicles.

Farrell calls this release an experiment, as the company finds new ways to make money outside of retail, and in some cases during the life of the product. SmackDown vs. RAW 2011 is a good example of that, offering those who want it a product lifetime subscription to deliver a steady stream of DLC.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, I'm really ******* tired of paying for **** that should already be free, like DLC's. I'd rather have the complete game for $60 and not have to spend more $$$ for more content.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd rather have the opposite. CHeaper base prices with more DLC. That way if you don't like something you don't need to pay for it. Then they can also release a version later with all the DLC.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree.

I miss the days when "DLC" was just a patch that developers released free, as more incentive to buy the game for those who hadn't; and to reward those who had. Valve still does this with TF2, L4D, & L4D2.

But you can understand their greed. Let's take MW2's Map pack, the one with 4 maps ported from COD4, yes, same Engine, same editor, so they took 30 minutes to port them to MW2 and made sure they worked correctly.

Price:15$

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news...2s-stimulus-package-dlc-breaks-sales-records/

It looks like price concerns and launch-day snafus haven't had much of an adverse effect on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's Stimulus Package DLC. Just like the boxed game hit new heights for pre-orders, sales, and online activity, Activision announced that the content has "shattered Xbox Live records." In the first 24 hours of availability, the DLC was purchased 1 million times, while the tally after a week on the market came to 2.5 million. For those of you doing the math, that means the DLC has produced $37.5 million in a week.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wow.. buy the game for 40$ only to spend approx. that much for all the DLC ... I miss the old days when you got what you paid for in full and no-one could take it from you. Nowadays you're paying for the ability to play the game knowing that they could cut you off at any given moment and they charge for extra content which should have already been there.
I wish i could go back to the "golden ages" without steam, without GFWL, without anti-piracy measures that rarely work and most of the time mess up the game of the legal owner of the game; and without DLCs that cost money.

I mean i bought GTA IV and had problems with the securom on my LEGALLY BOUGHT copy, but luckily R* gave me an .exe w/o securom (they gave out cracked .exes , how's that for irony) and now i'd have to dish out another 60$ for Episodes from Liberty City which contains the same map, same cars, same everything with the exception of a few added extra cars/bikes and stuff that should have been there in the first place(also 2 new stories but i fail to see why they couldn't all include it in GTA IV,It'd be the GOTY, also they could have bothered to port the game right so that it works on dual core systems like it should). But that doesn't belong in this topic.. i got a little sidetracked.

I say screw the DLC if it's not free! Why should i pay for a new skin or a new "awesome-looking-although-nothing-special" armor or a weapon which is stronger than the most powerful weapon in the game and if you buy it you can use it from the start and pwn everything in sight which just kills the enjoyment out of it?
I'm switching over to Indie games, atleast most of devs there aren't money grubbing whores and actually have some fresh and interesting ideas instead of the big companies rehashing the same thing over and over again and sponging off of innocent and gullible console market which buys everything they dish out without second thought.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True, most Indies aren't.

Tripwire disappoints me so; they supported Red Orchestra well, but then KF came and they released "Character packs" 2$ for new character skins, and then map packs, and The Ball will have DLC also; and I imagine RO2 won't miss a chance for them too. Really shady for a Indie dev to have DLC like that.

Really, it was inevitable though...once they found out we'd keep buying, they no longer had any reason to entice us; we were already dollar signs to them.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overgrowth? Combat looks badass, but sorry, I cannot take it seriously as it's a game designed by furries, for furries, with only furry characters. :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Overgrowth? Combat looks badass, but sorry, I cannot take it seriously as it's a game designed by furries, for furries, with only furry characters. :p
It's not furry.. it's ninja rabbits!!!
*yea i know it's still furry... but for all i care it could be two Mr hanky the christmas poos beating the crap out of each other... i'd still play it

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those who doubt Overgrowth (not you Mkil) haven't really played its prequel, Lugaru. Like i have said plenty of times before, i've spent more hours on it then each of the 80% games i have played in my life.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I know of Lugaru, but I just can't stand the furry rabbits, it turns what would otherwise be amazingly badass into just badass.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have some anti-furry fetish, Mkil? Cause them Ninja rabbits ARE awesome.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, I hate them with a passion. It's mostly their "You don't understand us, we're unique" speeches.

Sure, the Engine is great, physics, and graphics are good, combat intense...but man, I just can't take it seriously.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It seems Capcom is taking the same way that Namco did with Soul Caliber and making some Characters DLC on Marvel vs Capcom 3.

WHY is it this way now? Greed?

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, I hate them with a passion. It's mostly their "You don't understand us, we're unique" speeches.

Sure, the Engine is great, physics, and graphics are good, combat intense...but man, I just can't take it seriously.
Bad luck then mate. Missing out a good game.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THQ needs to release Full Spectrum Warrior 3.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Just downloaded Megaman 8-bit deathmatch. Had more fun than playing the pricey crap that was MW2 and best of all it's free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom