Thoughts on the new Metal Gears?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is not about the game series, but about the Metal Gear's themselves. Frankly, I think the MGS4 Metal Gear's, 'GEKKO's, are possibly the worst designs.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2306/metalgeargekko2bo.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1883/149nv1.jpg

It's like...Metal Gear Rex with frogs legs. It looks retarded. Considering the game is set after MGS2, which featured the badass Metal Gear Ray, I was hoping Konami would come up with something even more futuristic and cool looking.

Anyone have any thoughts and oppinions on the GEKKO's?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think its fine, more clean looking, its like mech warrior style. i like it better than ray.

reminds me of gundam....

bleh... metal gear solids gonna turn into mech warrior/gundam

zomg mass produced metal gears :Onoes

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I don't think Metal Gear Solid will become Gundam, in MGS4 the human protagonists seem to be more powerful (Ninja Raiden kills several in rapid succession by himself with just a sword).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those are supposed to be Metal Gears? Aren't they a bit.. small? And not powerful?

Metal Gear REX, now that's a force to be reckoned with. It's the one I like most, too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think they cobbled together REX and RAY into the new mass-produced models (makes sense, as Ocelot stole both REX's optical data disc and the last RAY and took them to the Patriots) - taking the head of REX and the semi-organic qualities of RAY. If they're combining those two amazing designs, they could've come up with something better than that.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it looks pretty stupid, its like they got dino legs...

I supose they are bionical legs or something to make their walking more fluidly, like animals do but I don't really like it.

The upper/middle body is all square and then it looks organic, it just doesn't fit IMO, oh well, just from my point of view.:p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well its true that REX and Ray were more powerfull. But remember that theese new m,etal gears arnt actualy metal gears.

Metal Gear - a nuclear equiped walking battle-tank.

The GEKKO's dont have nucks on them (but than again neather did ray).

In any case they even changed the names from Metal Gear to PMC (or something like that didnt watch the trailer in days so i cant remember)

In any case if i remember correctly. Solidus took out quite a fiew Rays with just a gun ^^

If you ask me the real Metal Gear are the largest PMCs (again im not shure thats the name).

Hopefully something new ^^

Best answers
remember they said in MGS 2 that the plans for Rex where leaked to public so companies made other versions and their own models. besides those versions i think are more build for urban warfare hence the size

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True that Solidus took down a number of RAY's, but he was using a high-powered machine gun, and the RAY's were spazzing out because of GW's virus. Raiden's jumping from this new wave of sixth(?)-generation Metal Gears and stabs each one with his sword and they keel over. Also the legs aren't armoured (they bleed), very vulnerable.

Shagohod (1964) - Very highly armoured, can launch nukes from it's back, can exceed 300mph.
TX-55 (1995) - Heavily armed but weak legs. Can launch multiple nukes.
D (1999) - Heavily armed but weak legs. Can hold six nukes.
REX (2005)- Very highly armored (one small weak spot), can launch nukes from it's railgun.
RAY (2007) - Highly armoured, very dextrous and agile, can swim and jump.
GEKKO (2015) - Can launch anti-tank missiles, highly mobile, lithe but weak legs.

After the '...Solid' entries into the series, all the Metal Gear's have been nearly impregnable in terms of armour, but GEKKO's seem to be quite weak in that regard. It probably wouldn't look so strange if it had organic arms too, or an organic 'neck'.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They looked pretty badass in the 15 minute trailer, climbing walls and stuff.

But somehow I doubt that those are the only Metal Gears we'll encounter in MGS4.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing that pisses me off is the noises they make. They sound like retarded cows or something. Other than that, then I don't mind them at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you gotta remember, that up until now, all the metal gears have been produced by the patriots, so they are going to have much more control over both the design, and the resources used in manufacture.

the gekko's are a production of the metal gear design being leaked to just about everyone on earth. the Gekko's serve a purpose, they are easy to mass produce for battlefield combat. i have a funny feeling that by the end of the game, we will see an entirely new, unique Metal Gear.

still, even though Ray had more things it could do... ive loved REX since MGS, and its still my favorite design.

Best answers
The Gekko's legs are much better than Rex's or Ray's, because they're biomechanical they can twist, stretch and move at odd angles this is a great advantage over mechanical legs which would be clutzy in this terrain. They make the mooing noise to ease soldiers so they can strike while their calm.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno. They lost me after 2, man. I haven't even read up on this one or cared or anything, since waiting an extra year to play Subsistence and being HUGELY disappointed by it. Seeing these new frogs-leg Metal gears just kinda kills it for me. They'd have to be really badass in order for me to care. But I heard someone earlier mention Raiden jumping between a bunch of these and stabbing them with a sword?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
But I heard someone earlier mention Raiden jumping between a bunch of these and stabbing them with a sword?
Ya, Raiden is like, the new cyborg Ninja or something. So he just totally rapes a ****load of them because he is off-the-charts bad-ass now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TBH, it's a sword. You'd think after five generations they'd realise the weak points (MG1+2 - vulnerable legs) and the strong points (MGS1+2+3 - heavy armor).

SupeDragonFist said:
The Gekko's legs are much better than Rex's or Ray's, because they're biomechanical they can twist, stretch and move at odd angles this is a great advantage over mechanical legs which would be clutzy in this terrain.
It's true in theory, but what the GEKKO's gain in mobility they lose in defense. The RAY was agile enough (it could jump instead of climb) and it's legs were bulletproof, the weakness lying in the kneecaps, and even then you needed rockets.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's true in theory, but what the GEKKO's gain in mobility they lose in defense. The RAY was agile enough (it could jump instead of climb) and it's legs were bulletproof, the weakness lying in the kneecaps, and even then you needed rockets.
To be fair, we don't actually know if the Gekko's legs are bullet proof or not after all Raiden's sword kinda cut through everything. Ray's legs, and entire body were covered in nanopaste (a semi organic body armor which repairs itself when shot by heavy arms), which was explained by Otacon in MGS2 that's why when they were shot it gave the appearance of blood spurting out. It's possible Gekko is covered by the nanopaste (therefore protecting against small arms fire) but organic on the inside.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good explaination, especially as Raiden's sword (the HF Blade from MGS2?) cut through the top of one of the GEKKO's heads where assault rifle fire failed.

However, if the 'nanopaste' covered both the RAY's and the GEKKO's, then surely they would be more similar. The RAY's form was very rigid, it's agile movement was due to it's joints and smooth, aerodynamic design. The GEKKO's move more naturally, their legs are squishy groups of muscles rather than a hard carapace.

To summarise, I think it would be very unlikely for something that looks so fleshy and organic to have a protective layer on the outside while maintaining it's lithe actions. I guess we'll have to wait for another trailer (or the game itself) to find out.

Best answers

Just a close up of the inside of one of its legs.

The 'skin' looks kinda like Snake or Solidus' suit, so it's possible it's an upgraded version of that.

I was wrong about the nanopaste, it was actually just something Ray excreted when it was damaged that attempted to repair area, it never prevented damage.

But you're right, it's impossible to tell just by speculation. I'm gonna wait for the next demo and hope for some more hardcore scenes with the new Metal Gears. (I'm more concerned about the fact the Gekko's could see the watermelons inside the cardboard box but couldn't see Snake against the wall with his new camouflage on, surely they would've sensed his body heat :p)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On a side note. Did anyone notice that Raiden is wearing a suit similar to that of Solidus in MGS2. Also who said Raidens sword is the same as in MGS2.

And i agree. There will probably be a totaly new type of model. The gekko's look more like soldiers.

As to the toughness of RAY. Remember that officialy youd have to hit REX once in the radome and once in teh pilot area. Same goes for RAY. Once in a leg joint and once inside the mouth (water gun).

Its just tho make the game harder to play the designers made it so they dont get destroyed with teh first shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom