This guy is my hero

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm debating whether I should call this guy brave for walking with a fractured foot. Or a complete idiot for not stopping earlier. It takes a great runner to train and compete in a marathon, but I think it takes even a better runner to know when to stop and when to rest, instead of constantly pushing your limits and eventually break them, and break your own body.

There's more to running than just pushing your boundaries and training. Resting is just as important as training itself. He pushed the limits of his bones, but he didn't manage to push his own limits: knowing when to stop and rest.

So yeah, I'm going to call him brave for continue running with a fractured foot. But he is a complete idiot.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It probably took a lot will power and bravery but also pretty reckless. He could have dealt himself far more damage than what he started with, I'm with Sicron on this one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow! Someone risked ruining his leg for a MARATHON! My hero.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Self-induced injury brought about by self-induced conditions.

He must be a son of Zeus.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Say what you want about his intelligence, but anyone that can run 16 miles straight and then run an additional 10 miles on a broken foot is a badass and a pure testament to human will.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Say what you want about his intelligence, but anyone that can run 16 miles straight and then run an additional 10 miles on a broken foot is a badass and a pure testament to human stupidity.
Corrected that for you there.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Say what you want about his intelligence, but anyone that can run 16 miles straight and then run an additional 10 miles on a broken foot is a badass and a pure testament to human will.
I don't disagree, but there are better ways to escape your comfort zone than running on a broken foot, especially if he intends to continue running in the future.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still think it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, despite how much willpower he needed to do it.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It is pretty simple actually - I don't know if to call him brave, but running with a broken/fractured leg a marathon and winning 3rd place most certainly shows a lot of will power, which should be praised.
But the sole fact that he continued competing in the marathon with a fractured/broken leg was reckless and irrational. simple.

This guy HAS willpower, he just didn't use it in the right place, the right time, for the right goal.

Note: Wanted to put a video of Yoda saying "You are reckless" but could not find it, your gain :\

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, considering how this guy will probably never accomplish much more than keeping himself and his family from starving till he dies... I guess fractured bones are nothing compared to getting national recognition for ignoring severe pain for 2 hours or so.

It's hilarious how in interrogation situations most people crack after two or three broken bones and spill their guts... this guy ran on more than handful of broken bones for months.

SHAME ON YOU SNITCHES!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's hilarious how in interrogation situations most people crack after two or three broken bones and spill their guts
They didn't cause their own injuries, and they have no control over the situation. It's completely different.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's hilarious how in interrogation situations most people crack after two or three broken bones and spill their guts

How are interrogations and marathons even mildly comparable to each other...? I'm sorry, but that's just bull****.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just trying to figure out what the runner was thinking when he realized his bones were shattering... he might've related it to gleeful torture.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Or he lost most feeling in his leg due to the repeated shock of slamming his feet into the ground. For example, I didn't realize I had stress fractures in my legs until I stopped running.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Plus, when you're in extreme pain, your brain will compensate by handing you free drugs. Much like you can punch your fist into solid rock when you're pissed, and not realize it hurts (the knuckle's green) 'til you calm down.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger, get back to me when you can run 26 miles straight, ten of them with a broken foot. The dude is a badass, end of discussion.

Zeo, that's weird, I can definitely tell when I get shin splints or any other type of injury from running. Maybe it's because you were running with a lot of extra weight on your body (they must make you carry an extra 20 pounds or so, no?)

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Avenger, get back to me when you can run 26 miles straight, ten of them with a broken foot. The dude is a badass, end of discussion.

Zeo, that's weird, I can definitely tell when I get shin splints or any other type of injury from running. Maybe it's because you were running with a lot of extra weight on your body (they must make you carry an extra 20 pounds or so, no?)
All of us have chronic shin splints, but they generally don't get so bad that it causes tiny fractures. In my case, I hadn't been giving my shins a chance to heal, so the muscles around my shins kept getting weaker and weaker until my legs finally bought it on a 10 mile run. My legs are in a perpetual state of pain and discomfort, so I ignored it until the end. It was only when I finally came to a halt that I realized something was ****ed up, because I couldn't stand while trying to stretch out my quads. It affected the way I was walking, as well, so I decided to get checked out, and they took a few x-rays. My **** was all ****ed up, but short of not doing anything for a few weeks, there isn't much you can do, and I prefer not to be on light-duty. When I think my shins are about to snap, I say something and they say, "Alright, noted." I end up going on a long-range hike with a 120 lb pack or a 5 mile boots and utilities run (it's a lot worse than it sounds. These boots feel like they're 10 lbs a piece), anyway.

TL: DR: Shins are ****ed up all the time.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How many days/miles a week were you running at the time? Did they teach you guys running form at all? Do you guys have to run in those military boots for every run?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom