Thinking about buying new graphic card [?]

Best answers
Right now this is my current config:

Intel Pentium 4 3,07 ghz.
Kingston 1024 mb ram.
930 gb harddrive.
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 mb.

some games sink down to 25-30 in fps and that is starting to annoy me so iam thinking about buying a new graphic card,and this is the one that comes to mind:

Hightech Excalibur ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum ICE-Q II 256Mb DDR3 TV-out VIVO DVI RETAIL AGP Price: around 580-600$

Some info about it=
ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum
1.180 mhz
256 mb
AGP 8x
Dual integrated display controllers
Dual integrated 10 bit per channel 400 MHz DACs
Integrated 165MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 / HDMI compliant and HDCP ready)
Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
YPrPb component output for HDTV display connection
Single and dual link external TMDS transmitter support for high resolution and/or multi-monitor DVI configurations
Compatible with ATI's THEATER™ video decode and capture devices for VIVO (Video Input / Video Output) configurations
DirectX® 9 and OpenGL® supporte

would like to know what you people think,is it worth buying,is there a better graphic card out there that cost just as much and etc.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, I'd go with the 7800 gt, it's only 400 dollars.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im pretty sure the 7800 GT is PCI-E only.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Buy a last generation card is probably your best bet. If not the 850, perhaps try one of ATIs mid range new cards, like the x1600 (PCI-E only ~Smith). I get by on my 9800, so I havent researched any of the newer cards yet.

And Im pretty sure the 7800 is PCI-E only too.

Best answers
x1600, cant really find it on the site iam looking..could you point me in the right directon?:p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PCI-E only, eh? I thought I had read that ATI was making their card AGP compatible for another generation... oh well.

The road is paved with gold for ye who seek the truth... PCI-E AGP

Basically PCI-E is the faster, newer one while AGP is the older, slower one. AGP is being phased out in favor of PCI-E. Older computers mostly have AGP and you can get most cards (with the aparent exception of the latest generation) in both types.

Aye, but thar be no increase in performance! ~Smith

If you want one of the latest cards, it looks like youll need to get a new motherboard, which doesnt sound like the kind of thing youd be into, asking about AGP/PCI-E and all...

Any of the x800's would likely do nicely to boost graphics. Itll be a leap beyond your 9600, thats for sure. And they even come in AGP.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Do yourself a favor and get a 6800GT AGP, they are really cheap and their peformance isnt much different of a x850XT PE.(Ok the x850XT PE is faster, but also alot more expensive)

Unless you can get the x850 pretty cheap.(250~350 dollars)

Best answers
Nah, I wouldn't get the X850XT. It costs too much money and I have heard too many negative reviews about it. And i think that your spending too much money for that level of performance, but hey, thats just me, :).

I favor ATI more than nVidia, dont know why, its like im programmed to hate that company but in your case I think that You would be better off with something of the GeForce 6 series. Your computer is really nice, beats the hell outta mine by a little bit, but that video card is holding you back man, I think that getting a new v-card is a good idea, just felt like throwing that in their for no apparent reason. If you need anymore help you can give me a PM or email me at [email protected], same goes for anyone else.

Best answers
so 6800GT AGP is the best graphic card right now for AGP that isnt over-expensive?

Best answers
Yeah, a 6800GT is perfect for your computer, Just be sure to get AGP 8x/4x version though, you'll be mad when you arent paying attention and you end up with the PCI express version of it.

Best answers
Go for a 6800LE and just get the piped unlocked and overclock it alittle ^.^
I am running 6600T Duelies! Which is a nice setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom