Think you can model? Think again....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you aware that they have been making CG movies for some time now? And that while most the people on this forum model as a hobby using free downloadable software these modellers use software that takes years of training to understand and can cost upwards of $7000 per copy? Not only are there professional modellers, but there are also designers, skinners and animators who work just as hard as the modellers to make the product you saw there. Comparing yourself to what you see there is like comparing your pecs to this guys... youre bound to look bad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, Cel-shaded modeling is overrated -_-..... But I do like what they did, they put chartoonish models into a realistic environment, I like that. Ghost in the shell FTW O/.

Best answers
no im just saying look how much CGI has advanced, making a cell shading movie hell that kicks ass, like the first FF movie if u go bk and watch that now u can tell it is CGI cuz of the out dated software but wen it first hit it look almost real like. But to become a professional they must have been a modeller for a hobbie just like we/some are doing right now. all im pointing out is some day anyone out there can do stuff like this :)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the models themselves arent that hard to create in those movies, just the enviroments and the animation are amazing. I think you'd need a damn powerful computer to render some of those things though... you wanna see some real good models? check http://www.bobotheseal.com/index.html

Anime models are easy in comparison to realistic models, imo. Its hard as hell to draw realistic, but with anime if you gave me a reference picture or two of a character im pretty sure I could draw it in a pose of my choosing pretty much correct, if you gave me a picture of a real person, and asked me to draw them in a pose i'd have to create, thats damn hard, and i bet it'd have proportional/feature issues all over it. Modeling/skinning is much the same.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Game Models > CGI movie Models created by Dreamworks etc (atleast imo , i can't be screwed sitting down in a movie no more or anything cause i will get a ciggie craving that's bad through the movie depending on how long the movie is)

Movies though are gonna have game engine style gfx soon , the unreal3 engine as i recall was offered to dreamworks not long ago , But it will be a while before we see any movies like that

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Keep in mind, alot of post-filtering is done to those models (like 64x AA could be done, and thousands of radiosity/illumination algorithms for example).

People always said "Why can't games have graphics like Toy Story does?". Well, because games have to run at a certain amount of frames per second to be playable. Movies can be generated 1 frame at a time (even if a single frame takes an hour) then played back when they're all done.

I'm sure most of the high poly models that some of the forum members here have done could look just as good if pushed through a professional rendering program.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One hour per frame is a very conservative number. Once you get radiosity and raytracing going, with those resolutions and AA settings, that hour comes and passes many many times before the frame is done. They split the workload across a network of computers so that it doesnt take several years to render the movie.

I would agree that many of the models here would look much better if rendered in a better program, but the jagged edges caused by the low poly count would still be dead obvious.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your thread title is quite aggressive for someone who doesnt know two ****s about what they are talking about.

i can name at least 4 people on these forums, and 3 people whove moved on from here who can produce work like that, if they were so inclined to do so.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't take the thread title seriously, since it's laughable that people compare CGI movies to video games graphics (especially when the video game engine in question is seven years old). There's going to be just a bit of a difference between two presentations if one has a network of (super)computers spending hours to render a single frame, and the other has to render atleast 30 frames per second on a mediocre computer.

Sure the movies look great, but you're comparing apples to oranges, and don't even know it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sw33t trailer, but I've seen it before.

It's for the CGI movie of Masamune Shirow's 'Appleseed' franchise, so it's not from Ghost in The Shell. Same creator, though.

And yeah, comparing these graphics to the stuff people model for fun is a little silly and disrespectful.

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
your thread title is quite aggressive for someone who doesnt know two ****s about what they are talking about.
there is no point flaming me, see as ur a moderator as well, of course im not compairing theses CGI movies to game graphic and the title is more of a joke then being a aggressive but it depends on your point of view of things. And yes i know ppl from here have gone onto devlopment companys and are creating market games now and all i can say is good luck to them, i have not flamed anyone here saying ohh your never be able to model like to and blah blah i said someday u might be able to for the people who already can all i say is rock on and keep it up. And as for ppl thinking im talking about ppl doing it in their homes well thats just a crazy though in the first place cuz of the software used to create such things, only a rich person would stuff they use to make these in their own home. So all i ask is dont take it the wrong way i was just showing how much you can do with the right software and how you could be modelling someday for the people who have just started ect ect.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe we both should have worded ourselves better. because you DID come off as being quite derogatory toward the modelers in this comunity.

on the same note, i didnt intend to flame, but i can see how you would interperate that as such.

im sorry.

Best answers
sorry bout if the subject sounds like its a flame. If you could change the subject name to make it sound like its not flaming or anything that would be great :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
Heh, looks like Septerra Core.
o_o you know that game? I thuoght I was the only one who knew of that.

Ontopic: The cell shaded Ghost in the shell was meh...overrated. But yeah the people who designed that are doing that as a job, most people on here do it for free.

As for the FF7 Advent children movie, that's pretty slick. The movie was actually supposed to come out 2 years ago, summer, but it kept getting pushed back. (Yes, I've been tracking it since two years ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom