They're Doing That Thing...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think we call it evolving? I don't know.

A male orangutan, clinging precariously to overhanging branches, flails the water with a pole, trying desperately to spear a passing fish.

It is the first time one has been seen using a tool to hunt.
The extraordinary image, a world exclusive, was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja, where apes are rehabilitated into the wild after being rescued from zoos, private homes or even butchers' shops.

"Orang hutan" means "forest man" in one of Indonesia's many languages and our long-armed cousins do indeed show a remarkable ability to mimic our behaviour.

This individual had seen locals fishing with spears on the Gohong River.
Although the method required too much skill for him to master, he was later able to improvise by using the pole to catch fish already trapped in the locals' fishing lines.

The image is part of a series taken for a new book, The Thinkers Of The Jungle, which also includes the first photograph of an orangutan swimming.
Thinkers Of The Jungle, by Gerd Schuster, Willie Smits and Jay Ullal, is published by Ullmann Publishing on May 5, RRP £29.99.
So yeah, apes need to stop it. First they're using rocks to break open nuts, twigs to feed on ants and now spears to hunt fish? What are we going to do when gorillas start using M-16s to fight off poachers?

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_article_id=562236&in_page_id=1766&ito=1490

^
|----------
Click the source link so you can see the picture.

We need to act, ladies and gentleman, and we need to act now. They want a war. They got it.

Nuke 'em from orbit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess we should start to rapidly destroy their habitat so they won't have anywhere to live and di... oh wait.

Once we find out that apes really do have a language, we're ****ed, siriusly.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess we should start to rapidly destroy their habitat so they won't have anywhere to live and di... oh wait.
That's probably precisely why they're changing so quickly. We need to strike hard and fast rather than systematically destroy their habitat over a long period of time like a bunch of pussies.

Arm the space lasers. It's time for some spring cleaning.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chimps near Senegal have been found doing the same thing. Fashioning spears out of branches by sharpening the tips with their teeth, then taking the crude implements to the hollows of trees where bush babies may be sleeping. They'll stab inside it then eat the bushbaby.

It's been theorized that part of the reason man is so smart today is due to an increased diet in protein as our ancestors descended from the trees to hunt ground dwelling beasts. That coupled with an apes natural intelligence is what helped speed us along the path we are now on.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does anyone else find it fascinating that we're basically observing our own evolutionary path?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does anyone else find it fascinating that we're basically observing our own evolutionary path?
We didn't evolve from apes, so they'll be even more awesome. I guess we'll just have to recognize our new ape masters.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Haha that's what I was thinking, although I think it's more strange than anything. I mean, what will we evolve into this time?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When we or aliens begin making alien/human-ape hybrids, they'll be on the right track. Until then, no.

@ kam!: Bless your soul for knowing we didn't evolve from apes. The Nix smiles upon thee.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
ernn, crows and ravens can use tools to, the crow sharpens a stick to reach for worms, bugs or anything that it can eat in a tree or in a grownd, same for other animals, once u need tools ure going to fasion them if u dont have them, right ?
so this is just as comon as us useing hammers

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Crows need to stop that "CAW!!" **** and learn to sing or I'm going to start shooting them. I'm just helping them evolve, is all. If they want to survive, they'd better sing....or Caw in such a way, that I kill myself. Either way, I'll have done my job.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We need every ape watched. If they discover fire, move in for the kill!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if they are smart enough to spear fish, they are smart enough to grab me a drink from the fridge........ I so want one now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once they become smart enough to understand our language and fulfill basic tasks, it's time for slavery again!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Some peeps are underminding some animal's intelligence..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom