The creators of heavy metal are...?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Black Sabbath

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I had this argument with a friend of mine today at school, as we differed in opinions on who had exactly formed heavy metal, back in the 70's.

I firmly stated that it was Black Sabbath, because without Tony Iommi's pioneering metal riffs, heavy metal would be a lot different today, if not completely non-existant. Riffs from songs such as Into the Void, Electric Funeral, Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Children of the Grave are what formed heavy metal, at least in my opinion.

He stated that it was Iron Maiden, to which I said was completely irrational, because they formed 7 years after Sabbath, in 1975, at least according to Wikipedia. However, he stated that it existed since 1971, but weren't that known. I'm not sure how true this is, and I found nothing to support his theory, although it really doesn't matter, because to be able to form something that supposedly wasn't existant at the time, you'd have to do it with your own material, like Sabbath did. They released their first album in 1978 if I'm not mistaken, which is already the time at which Sabbath released their final album with Ozzy Osbourne 'Never Say Die!', preceded by world-wide hits Black Sabbath(1970), Paranoid(1970), Master of Reality(1971), Sabbath Bloody Sabbath(1973) and Sabotage(1975).

Who do you think holds the title of creator of heavy metal between these two bands? Note that I don't want to turn this into a Black Sabbath vs. Iron Maiden fest, both bands are awesome imo, and their style is different enough to be impossible to compare them, if we'd look at today's modern categorization of music, diverse as it is, Black Sabbath's heavy metal has traits of blues and Doom Metal, while Iron Maiden's has traits of what we would today call Power metal.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Black Sabbath.

Ozzy is the Godfather of Metal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Without Black Sabbath there wouldn't even be Iron Maiden or at least anything similiar to that sound of theirs. For that matter, no heavy metal would have been invented.

So, Black Sabbath.

Best answers
I have to say Black Sabbath, but I like Iron Maiden more...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm merely displaying my dislike for both of them

It would have been fine if I said that "Black Sabbath sucks, but Iron Maiden is awesome!" or "Iron Maiden sucks, but Black Sabbath is awesome!" Why is it not fine that I display my dislike for both?

Surely, if I made a thread asking "WHICH IS BETTER, 5,000 DEAD AMERICANS OR 5,000 DEAD BRITISH PEOPLE?", an answer you'd hear is that both are not desired.

Yes, I just compared both bands to the deaths of 5,000 people. It was an example, get over it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I nicely asked not to express your musical taste or preference in one band over the other, even if there is no preference.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note that I don't want to turn this into a Black Sabbath vs. Iron Maiden fest, both bands are awesome imo, and their style is different enough to be impossible to compare them, if we'd look at today's modern categorization of music, diverse as it is, Black Sabbath's heavy metal has traits of blues and Doom Metal, while Iron Maiden's has traits of what we would today call Power metal.
It only stated I'm not allowed to compare them, which I did not do. I merely stated my opinion on both bands.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
They both suck.
The topic isn't who you like more (if any), it's who is responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Read the thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people claim that Purple Haze was the first 'metal' song.

TI and Randy Rhoads are pretty up there on the riffing, there both cool.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to Wikipedia:

Heavy metal has long had a worldwide following of fans known as "metalheads" or "headbangers". Although early heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, they were often critically reviled at the time, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s, Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden and Motörhead followed in a similar vein, introducing a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was about to say that Deep Purple had a significant steak in Heavy Metal before Sabbath, but MC beat me too it. Zepplin also had some heavy metal founding riffs. That's not to say that Sabbath contributed less, clearly image and sound from them has carried on well into our current generation of metal.

Needless to say, Iron Maiden also contributed later on, but they clearly didn't start the fire from which all metal axes are forged.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple helped shaped the sound of metal. Sabbath molded it into what it should be, and Iron Maiden took it and made it bigger, better, faster, and louder.

Black Sabbath, in my eyes, created what is called heavy metal today, although it's still a very debated topic in the realms of the metal underground.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was about to say that Deep Purple had a significant steak in Heavy Metal before Sabbath, but MC beat me too it. Zepplin also had some heavy metal founding riffs. That's not to say that Sabbath contributed less, clearly image and sound from them has carried on well into our current generation of metal.

Needless to say, Iron Maiden also contributed later on, but they clearly didn't start the fire from which all metal axes are forged.
Agreed. Not to say Maiden didn't play it's part by gaining fans for the genre from clubs in London.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom