The Smell of Pain!

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No I'm not talking about our recent addition to the moderation team, but something I'll experience every now and then and want to know if you guys do to. Every once in a while, especially if knocked upside the head I get a whiff of this really wierd smell. It's not just then either, I'll sometimes get it if I get hit hard in the chest or arms or pretty much anywhere. So anybody else experience this? Any of you smarter guys know what it is?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Describe the smell, anything it reminds you of?

Retired
Best answers
I don't recall it, but I'm going to pay attention next time I get hit or something.

yes what does it remind you off?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't really smell like anything else too much. Some people have brought up that they believe it to be a coppery type smell from blood, but if it happens when I'm not getting a nosebleed from the blow. And this isn't some thread saying I've got some screwed up medical condition, just curious about others who have experienced this.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you ever experienced internal bleeding, or have any hemophelia history in your family?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what you're talking about. If I ever get hit on or near the nose, I get a whiff of that odd smell. I cannot describe it, myself. It does, I guess, smell kind of metallic (coppery, as Deman put it). It almost has a burning kind of smell to it. That's the best way I can put it o_O

Best answers
Have you ever experienced internal bleeding, or have any hemophelia history in your family?

AHAHHA that sounded so Doctor-Ish

Retired
Best answers
when I get hit near the nose, I get this weird pain (duh ;)), it might be in combination with the smell. I tried hitting myself just now on the nose slightly and I did get the sensation a bit. and did smell something. however it was a bit too faint to make anything out of it. but somehow I just don't want to punch myself in the nose :p

so whenever something happends by accident, i'll take note of it ;)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who knows for sure? My best guess is just that getting hit in the nose throws off your sense of smell for a bit. It's like when you're being chased by a shark and you can't get away, you're supposed to hit them hard on the nose. It throws off their sense of smell and you've got a chance to escape without them finding you.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Future_SSJGohan said:

AHAHHA that sounded so Doctor-Ish
Please refrain off-topic spam such as this, and focus on advising Deman with his query.

Best answers
Snyth, please dont take this as a something against you, but I have a right to do what I wish, and I apparantly found that funny. So please, don't tell me what to do... :(

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not about whether it was against or not against me, I am asking you to withold any off-topic spam from this topic.

Which means please remain on subject, and give your opinion or understanding of Deman's situation.

Further acts of disobeying my ordinance, will result in a warning.

Retired
Best answers
Just to point this out Future SSJGohan. a moderator's descision is not up for debate in the thread. you will do as a moderator tells you to do. if you do not agree with what a moderator says, go to a super moderator or admin through PM.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
man i persoonally think that i know the smell (experience 2) but in my thing is when i get hit in the head it's a smell withiout "bother" is not reallly bad it's in the nose man!! :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
No I'm not talking about our recent addition to the moderation team
Heh, when I saw this thread I had something all witty lined up. Ah well.

It could be dust. How long does the smell last? I've noticed a very strange smell when I was working in a warehouse which could be described as coppery. Though, it's pretty tough to really pinpoint something like that.

Best answers
hmm. I don't remember any smell when i get hit.. Maybe it's because if someone tries to hit me i Teleport (move) and then kamehameha (knock) their ass down. But maybe you are like knocked out of your senses and only think you smell something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
I know what you're talking about. If I ever get hit on or near the nose, I get a whiff of that odd smell. I cannot describe it, myself. It does, I guess, smell kind of metallic (coppery, as Deman put it). It almost has a burning kind of smell to it. That's the best way I can put it o_O

heh, i get that smell if i play my guitar too long. i think it might be a reaction between the platelettes in your blood, and the air. just because your not bleeding, doesnt mean they arent capable of reacting. remember that sulpher will react with magnesium (if i remember right) even while it is in a test tube away from the magnesium (actually, thinking about that, chances are those two elements are too weak, but such reactions arent uncommon.)

anyway, my theory is that its part of your defence system for "toughening" an area of your body which has been hit, since this is how callouses form on my fingers. logic would lead me to that conclusion. what your smelling is probably something similar.

and yes, it happens if im using nylon strings too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
but if it happens when I'm not getting a nosebleed from the blow.
My best guess is if you usually get nose bleeds from blows, it probally is a nose bleed, except not so bad that it comes pouring out. Maybe a tiny trickle that you can easily smell out. but yeah if this sounds retarded, bleh, im only in 9th grade :p

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
heh, i get that smell if i play my guitar too long. i think it might be a reaction between the platelettes in your blood, and the air. just because your not bleeding, doesnt mean they arent capable of reacting. remember that sulpher will react with magnesium (if i remember right) even while it is in a test tube away from the magnesium (actually, thinking about that, chances are those two elements are too weak, but such reactions arent uncommon.)

anyway, my theory is that its part of your defence system for "toughening" an area of your body which has been hit, since this is how callouses form on my fingers. logic would lead me to that conclusion. what your smelling is probably something similar.

and yes, it happens if im using nylon strings too.
Wha?
o_O We should ask Krillin he gets hurt all the time he should know... Maybe blood just smells like that or if you got hit in the nose the person who hit you has been mining copper.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know exactly what you mean deman. Probably not actually a smell, but a crapload of neurons firing that make ya think it is. HEnce why it's really hard to describe it. But yeah, I know exactly what ya mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom