The Return... And a challenge.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Arr, I've returned. For too long have I haunted the ladders of this FC with my 12000 points, which I never really actually earned.

I ask that only a "newbie" accept this challenge, not one of the guys who already have thousands of points. I'm not particularly good at this, I just got lucky versus Magus in regards to my high score.

To add to this, I also request that none of my "former" fights are resumed, as I have no recollection of these and have no desire to continue them with my freshly edited character. It'd only wreak more havoc in my already disorganized mind.

Hope someone's still actually active, and are up for a bit of a challenge. I don't want to set early deadlines, but it'd be nice if we could wrap this one up within two weeks of the smack-talk.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are on little man :p (thge old smiley was better)

State the time and place of your demise.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's up to a ref. Get us a ref here, please! :(

Venue doesn't matter much to me, but possibly have some kind of story attached to it, why we're there?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll ref. Venue is a Wal-Mart parking lot on a saturday morning. Let the bodies fly.

JUST KIDDING. The real venue is an underground research facility used for experimental testing on human DNA. There are thousands of staff operating the facility and many more live specimens being tested on. Certain genetic tests involving artificial strength increase, sharper focus, and heightened agility among these. A malfunction in the facility's main computers have caused sedated specimens to awaken and break free from their cells/tubes (whatever you want to imagine them in, I really don't care as long as the second round follows up using the first round's preference).

You can be there for whatever reason you choose Avenger. The point is that both of you are there by chance and may have disagreements about the reasons for the other person being there. So, I would advise you to wait until the first person posts before posting yours to make a better story. You can be there for whatever reason, whether it's to stop the immoral tests being conducted, save the patients, aid the tests, whatever. I don't care. Just find a reason to be there that fits your character. That's part of the challenge.

Let the trash talk begin!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I gave you death, it'd be a present in comparison to what I'm 'bout to hand you, beotch. ;>

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll take your present gladly. But i wont stop slashing you untill you change your mind about giving it to me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright ladies. Now the smack talk is done, so let's do this.

FIGHT!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The darkness of the night was being chased away by the morning sun, and while the mountains far away to the east were already bathing in the dawning light with a nice red colour, the valley was still being plagued by strong rain and dark clouds. The city behind the valley was waking up as people started to get ready to leave for work and the street lights were slowly turning off due to the incoming morning. Along the various forest roads of the valley some car lights were seen moving at quite a high speed.

“Damn the breaks don't work” said the driver as he tried to keep his car on the road. Even doing his best it was impossible not to fly out of a corner due to the slippery surface caused by the rain and the speed he was driving at. While the crash was unavoidable it didn't really surprise him, but he was relieved when he landed in some bushes instead of a tree. Sighing with a little relief he stepped out of the car wearing a cloak and a hood over his head as shelter from the rain, as he started to walk even deeper into the valleys forest.

The rain slowly stopped and the clouds began to give way to the light of the sun, as the man came to a facility that looked like it was abandoned decades ago. The building looked like it was going to fall apart any second with big cracks on the walls, but oddly the doors seemed brand new even if they were laying on the floor a couple of feet away from the actual doorway.

“Looks like it was rammed in” he said continuing further into the interior of the building, and finally coming to a stop at what looked like an elevator.

The phone started to ring, and as he picked up a familiar voice spoke.

“Did you locate the facility?”

“Yes. It was right where you said it would be.”

“Good. The pass code is 568947. Don't forget it!”

“Right, but the next time I work for you I want a car that actually has working breaks.”

“Stop complaining and proceed with the mission. Remember the target is of great value to our company.”

“Yea I know. I'll retrieve it, don't worry. But right now, I need some more information.” the man looked into the depths of the elevator shaft, with the elevator cable obviously cut and a fire at the bottom of the shaft.

“It seems the elevator wont work. Apparently someone cut the cable and made the elevator a burning splat on the floor. Are there any other people on this job and what other way is available to get into this place?”

“No one working for us, so be extremely careful. It could be an agent from a rival company. Remember that our research wasn't exactly favoured by the government. As for a secondary means of entry, there should be a shaft near the buildings entrance. The shaft is used to provide the facility with fresh air from the outside, but is disguised as a rock, so you'll have to search for it a bit.”

“Yea, what ever. Bye now.”

The man hung up the phone and proceeded outside of the building until he came to a rock. He sliced the rock in two with a sword and continued to do the same with each one he found until he finally slashed the one that was covering up the air shaft.

“There we go.” he said while he started climbing down through the shaft.

The air was moving quite fast due to the fans built into the sides of the shaft to pull it from the surface down to the underground complex. Upon reaching the bottom of the shaft he heard a scream for help as well as a roar-like noise. He quickly kicked the shaft cover open and landed in a room where a person was just split in half.

“What the hell is this?” he asked looking round the room, when suddenly a strange creature jumped at him from behind only to be impaled on his sword.

“You're to slow freak!” he said while looking at the creature. It seemed to be a humanoid-reptilian crossing with the ability to change the skin colour like a chameleon.

He proceeded through the door and followed a hallway until he reached another door, from where fighting noises were being heard. Opening the door he walked into a large room that resembled a storage area. The area had some wooden crates and tables scattered round with corpses of the same strange mutant monsters all over the place and a man standing in the middle. He looked like he was about six feet tall, with long white hair, dressed in a black t-shirt and a white shirt over it with black jeans and black sneakers.

“Foolish humans and their never-ending desire to manipulate nature for their own selfish cause” the strange man said as he turned round, with a face suggesting that he was used to fights.

The man at the door stood there looking at him for a while.

“Who are you?”

“Forgive me for not introducing myself. I am a shadow that is cast upon the evil of this world. I have no name, but you can call me the Avenger.”

Avenger slowly started walking to the man standing at the door.

“But enough about this. You do not look like you belong in this factory. State your purpose and your name.”

The man removed his grey cloak and threw it to the side, revealing his brown spiky hair and shiny armour that looked like it was made out of silver. The armour was made out of five parts that included a chest plate with shoulder pads, two elbow long gloves as well as a pair of knee-high boots, below which he had a black shirt with very dark blue pants and a sword at his waist.

“The name is Grega, nice to meet you. And my business here is none of your concern.”

“Fine. Then I shall have to remove you from the world of the living.”

Avenger suddenly charged forward at first dragging his right hand behind, up until a few feet away from Grega when he changed it into a fist and with a strike forwards into his face, propelled his enemy backwards into the corridor from where he originally came. While still flying backwards Grega turned over his head and landed on his feet only to be received by another of Avengers punches, in the back this time, sending him flying back into the storage room and hitting a crate.
“That should take care of that” said Avenger as he moved out of the corridor.

“Ready to answer my questions now?”

Grega stood up, wiping the blood from the side of his mouth and taking his sword from his side. He quickly charged forward making an upwards slash at Avenger, who managed to jump away just in time to evade a severe injury. His shirt was cut and blood slowly started flowing from the wound colouring his white shirt to red.

“It appears that you, unlike these abominations, can actually fight.” said Avenger as he extended his hand. Light started to circle round his palm and upwards getting brighter and brighter until it took the shape of a sword.

“Oh. Light manipulation?”

Grega quickly launched another attack but was easily blocked by Avengers newly forged sword, followed by a kick to his gut sending him flying backwards into another create, breaking it upon impact. He stood up again but this time it would seem his landing was not as comfortable as the first time. He screamed as he pulled a piece of the broken create that pierced his arm and got stuck just below his shoulder.

“That frigging hurt you ass hole”

Grega just stood there as Avenger launched another attack slashing straight through him.

“Impossible!”

Avenger was surprised by the fact that his sword did not meet any resistance at all and instead a bright light engulfed him sending him straight up and smashing him against the ceiling and afterwards falling down along with debris from the impact that buried him under a thin layer of rubble.

“It would seem you are not worthy of challenging me” said the swordsman to his opponent buried under the rubble.

But as soon as he stopped talking the rubble started to shake slightly until Avenger freed himself from beneath it. He was clearly a bit injured due to the strong impact and it would seem like his chest area, where the energy hit him, was also a bit bruised.

“What the hell? You seem tougher than I thought, but I don't have time to deal with you. First I have some business to take care of.”

Avenger prepared to attack again but was suddenly blinded by bright light. When he regained his vision he noticed his opponent had vanished.

“I must say that attack surely surprised me. I had no clue you would be using light as a source for your attacks. Oh well I'll meet you again in this place. And the second time you wont be so lucky.”

Avenger grinned as he transformed his sword back into particles of light, turned round and started walking to a door on the far side of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The phone rang again and the same familiar voice was on the other end.
“How goes your mission?”

“It would seem I ran into my rival.”

“Did you dispose of him?”

“Afraid not. He isn't your usual agent. It would seem I'm going to have some problems fighting this one. Also what the **** were those monsters?”

“That is classified information and you are not entitled to know. All you need to know is the pass code so you can retrieve the data. We are also adding a bonus to your mission. Eliminate any personnel and research specimens you may encounter. Of course you will not be unrewarded. We will double your pay”

“Fine but I want four times the amount you originally promised me. End of discussion!”

Grega hung up the phone and continued to crawl through the shafts towards the main server room while Avenger was working his way through the corridors killing anything that came under his eyes, be it human or monster.

Meanwhile in an office in town a man put down the phone with an angry face expression.

“It would appear the research has escaped sir.”

“How about our agent?”

“The mercenary wants twice as much as we are prepared to pay him for the extra mission.”

“The data is not worth that much. Get me in contact to our weapons department. We will eradicate the base from the face of the planet.”

The man walked up to a window in his office looking at the morning sun.

“Its 1000 hours now. Have the strike ready till 1600 hours.” He grinned whilst looking towards the valley.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Status report?" The man whose nametag read "Dr. John D. Sheppard" asked, scratching his unshaven chin. His eyes were cold, gray and analytical. The Doctor's appearance was that of most doctors in the facility; a pair of slacks, some kind of t-shirt and a white lab-coat to cover it all, and of course - glasses. "I am not a patient man, Heckler." he snapped at his colleague, currently standing by the vat, staring with curiosity in his eyes at what appeared to be a naked man with medium-length white hair and eyes, floating in a purple-tinted liquid.

"His vitals are stable. We have, however, had to up his dose of sedation. His DNA is ... very difficult to decypher. We have however discovered that his body regenerates mostly any damage inflicted." his colleague answered, paying no attention to his colleague's impatience.

"Keep me posted, and up the dose further if necessary. I'm going up for fresh air." Sheppard's nicotine-stained fingertips clutched at the cigarette-pack in his right pocket. "Johnson mentioned something about a possible malfunction in the network, ask him if it could affect our research."

Sheppard walked out of the small, sterile lab, heading towards the elevator, pacing quickly through Gentech's sterile corridors, brushing into one or two of his fellow employees as he rushed for the surface. By the elevator, one of the specimens belonging to the so called "Ares" project was arguing with the guard. "Oh come on, Smith, where is he going to run? This is the Antarctic, even if he is one of them, if the chaingun turrets don't take him out, the cold will."

The guard, whose nametag read "Ned Smith", examined the man in a black military uniform, before concurring to Sheppard's logic, and opening the elevator doors, allowing the two residents of Gentech Research Facility to enter.

"I am Ares, in honor of being the first successful specimen of the Ares project." the soldier informed Sheppard, who seemed uncaring.

"I'm Sheppard. Let's hope they won't put you back into your tank like they did all the others."

Ares blinked, before staring at Sheppard curiously with his red eyes. "What do you mean, John D. Sheppard?"

"I mean most of your companions were either killed, locked up, or put back in the tank because of severe psychotic behaviour. Don't worry, they all put up quite the fight. Each of them took out at least half a dozen of either scientists or guards before being 'neutralized' though."

This seemed to disturb Ares greatly, however, before he could query further, Sheppard had moved into the little tunnel shielded from most of the cold, among other things, with a force-shield, and was in the process of lighting up a cigarette, smiling to himself - at least until a white flash of light made it drop into the snow, its glow dying with a slight *Hss*. A man in brown, spiked hair and an armour Sheppard had nothing to compare to, wielding a strange sword in his right hand, had appeared.

The force shield had disappeared. In a speed resembling that of teleportation, the stranger had forced his elbow into Ares' forehead, effectively knocking him out. "I'm sorry to crash your party, but I have something I have a job to do." the man smiled kindly, before directing the tip of his sword to the scientist's throat. "You're going to help me."

-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

"What the hell is this?" Heckler mumbled to himself, working on the terminal infront of the vat. "Sedation levels dropping? Malfunction? Ah god damn it." Heckler reached for the com-system. "Johnson, what's going on?"

"I don't know, the last five minutes the system hasn't been letting me in at all. Why do you ask?"

"I think we're going to have some very cranky people waking up soon. Alert the guards."

"Locked out, remember?"

"Hold on, I've got a problem here."

Heckler's eyes widened. The purple liquid had drained from his specimen's vat. Staring into his own were a pair of white, angry eyes. "I'll have to call you back."

Heckler opened the glass-cylinder around his specimen. "Please... Don't hurt me..." Heckler's voice was pleading, quivering. The naked, angry man stared at him as he walked out of his former prison.

"Clothes. Now." he commanded, in a tone so harsh the giant, frozen desert above him seemed a nice vacation-spot. Heckler obeyed, and fetched one of the black body-suits they handed out to their specimens upon release or active duty. "These will do." the man had gotten dressed, and now seemed calmer. "How did I get here?"

"W-we found you, in a tomb, f-fifty miles from here," the man paused, trying to calm himself, failing desperately.

"Why am I awake now, rather than then?"

"S-sedatives... We... We've been keeping you unconscious..."

"Why am I awake in the first place? I would have thought heavily armed guards to be customary in such a situation."

"Malfunction... Computer..." the man fainted. Gunshots sounded in the corridor.

The awakened man walked into the corridor, barefoot. Looking for answers, he grabbed one of the panicking scientists rushing by him. "What is going on?"

"They've escaped! Run! Run!" the man yelled, before wriggling his way out of the hold, and sprinting down the hall towards the elevator.

-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

"W-who are you?" Sheppard asked, genuinely surprised of the man's sudden appearance.

"You can call me Grega." the man said, smiling as he pressed Sheppard's back to his chest-plate.

"Would you mind not ... keeping that thing so close?" Sheppard asked, referring to the sword, and its edge resting at his throat.

"Yes." Grega answered simply. *Beep* Grega used his left hand for answering the call. "No, I don't have it yet. Additional objectives? Eliminate? Are you sure he's there? You know my fee for that kind of work. Be in touch, I'll be ready for extraction soon enough."

"Who was that?"

A certain edge of a certain sword pressing harder on Sheppard's throat was answer certain enough. The elevator-doors opened, and revealed a horrifying scene. Dead scientists' bodies lay scattered in a random, most brutal manner. Clawmarks, bite-marks and broken necks were frequent among the victims. "..elp me..." Ned Smith muttered from a seated position next to the elevator, gun out. Grega swiftly kicked the gun away, before redirecting his sword. "What happened here?" the mercenary asked.

"He needs medical attention, let me go!" Sheppard pleaded.

"Fine, but it's a waste of time." Grega said, looking at the deep stab-wound close to the man's heart. "Your friend isn't going to be guarding anything in the near future."

Sheppard opened his lab-coat, and revealed a series of identical syringes, before taking one out and plunging it into Ned's neck. Within seconds, Ned's wounds appeared to be slowly healing.

"Thanks Sheppard..." *Cough*

"Now answer my question, "Ned"" Grega commanded, after examining the blood-stained nametag on Ned's chest.

"They were... Too many... I scared two of them off, and killed one... I hope." Ned pointed at the dead man with red eyes next to him. "Tell me he's dead, Sheppard?"

"He is.", Sheppard confirmed, after touching the red-eyed man's neck. "He was an Ares project specimen. How many bullets did you put in him?" Sheppard's cold gray eyes looked at the man's head - a single bulletwound was visible.

*Cough* "'bout nine to the head... He charged me... The others seemed occupied with eating and clawing the more defenceless."

"Alright, we've wasted enough time here, let's go. Show me where the database is." Grega commanded, pointing his sword first at Sheppard, then at the corridor leading deeper into the facility.

Reluctantly, Sheppard moved in front of Grega. "Ned, get to the secure room when you can walk, don't bother following us."

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

"Oh quit your whimpering." the man's voice glowed white in the darkness. Power had gone out. The scientists were cowering in a corner, clinging to their mobile phones' light. "I killed most of the ones in this area, you should be fine. Point me in the general direction of the elevator."

"It's no use." the one man who had remained fairly calm during most of the fighting replied.

"Your pessimism is not helping, Heckler."

"No, I mean it as in we're at the lowest possible level of the facility, and that odds are the Agency enabled the failsafe."

"What do you mean 'failsafe'?"

"The elevator shuts down along with the power, and a self-destruct sequence is activated, while all the data is transmitted to a secure area. We're all going to die."

"Can you stop the data transfer?"

"Well... I guess, we're right next to the data-storage area."

"Then shut up point me toward the elevator, and get to work."

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

"How far is it?" Grega's impatience had run thin. Killing DNA-modified beasts had stained his armour, leaving much cleaning to be done - particularly the armoured boots, which had waded over corpses for half an hour now, before the power went out.

"Not far."

Grega and Sheppard froze as a pair of glowing white eyes appeared in the darkness. Sheppard was tossed into the nearest corridor-wall, before Grega's feet propelled him toward his new target at immense speed. A foot-long white blade seemed to have sled out within a second from its fist, countering Grega's sword, forcing them into a lock. A fist hit the stunned swordsman from the darkness, pushing him off his offence.

"...They have swords now?" a voice coming from the general direction of the glowing white eyes said asked, following a deep.

"...Avenger. Lucky coincidence. Time to die." Grega said, cloaked in the embrace of darkness - however, not hard to perceive for his opponent.

"Well, that seems uncalled f--" A spark of white light lit up the room as Grega's sword clashed with Avenger's blade, revealing the death and mayhem previously having occurred. “Alright, that is it!” Avenger yelled, another blade 'sliding' out of his left fist, rippling through the darkness towards Grega's heart. An armoured fist faced up to the blade, sparks flying across the room. “What the..?”

“Big mistake, Bringer of Death.” Grega's sword broke Avenger's right blade, and following this, a series of close to invisible slashes tore into both his opponent's black vestments and body. Four diagonal wounds had formed across Avenger's abdomen. ”Gah!” Avenger screamed, falling to the ground. “Time to die, Death God.” were words seeming very slow to Avenger at the time. The wounds on his chest were shallow, in his closed right hand, a tiny sphere of light had begun glowing. In the dark, Grega could not see as he could, and he had avoided any severe injury. Avenger's palm, with the tiny sphere whirling in its centre, plunged into the tip of Grega's sword. Silence.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This round goes to Avenger, because I **** myself several times while reading his story. I might have peed a bit too, I'm scared to check.

Grega, your story was immersive, and had plenty of action, but it lacked depth as far as a story goes. A few phone conversations with an anonymous voice is nice and mysterious, but not when that's all you have to go on. I realize that it's only round one, but a little more depth could still have been achieved. You also lacked detail in your environments. What does the room smell like? What material are the walls made out of? It makes it easier to imagine a body flying through a wall (for example) if you know what that wall is made from. It also gives you an idea of how strong that character would have to be to send that person flying through the wall. It's little details like that which add so much to a story. That aside, there were numerous spelling and grammatical errors, but I'm not too harsh with that usually. Just use a spell check next time. ;)

I like the nuke, I can't wait to see what happens with that. :)

Avenger's story was incredibly immersive. I loved the beginning, with life in the labs carrying on as usual. Nothing big going on. Then you slowly unravel what's going on in the labs, with the Ares project specimen being revealed and by hearing a few rumors. Then it speeds up and turns into a full-blown, highly detailed action story.

There was only one thing in Avenger's story that I didn't like:

Avenger said:
"Oh quit your whimpering." the man's voice glowed white in the darkness.
When it's cold, your breath condenses as you exhale, resulting in visible water vapor. It's just water, and water doesn't glow in the dark. Nor does your *voice*. Haha. But I forgive that, because too few people actually know that. But now you do. ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The room in which Heckler and the security guard Smith were in, was one of great importance. It held every ounce of information the Gentech Research Facility's scientists ever stored – which was quite a bit, ranging from 'growing' genetically engineered people, to injecting normal human beings with DNA-modifying serums, altering their physical traits over a bit of time. Deep in the archives, the file named 'Ares.txt' lay, with a 8192 bit encryption. In it was the darkest secret GRF ever held – the proof that demons were, in fact, real, and that Gentech had successfully grown half-demons and demons alike.

Most of the projects had gone horribly, horribly wrong, leading to mutations and freakish alterations in physical appearance. These experiments were merely locked up in cages, to be experimented on in later cases. Heckler knew this all too well, as Ned had recently killed one of the more successful project Ares' subjects, guarding the one and only elevator out of the facility. The Ares Project had involved giving human beings horrible demonic power – attempting to keep their specimens strong and powerful, while giving them a fairly human appearance.

Ned, a former soldier of many battles in the British military, was more than up to the task of killing a few of the failed experiments – especially considering his gun, like all guards' guns in the facility, had explosive ammunition. A silver combat-knife was standard to the guards – not because demons normally were allergic to silver, but because the scientists had intentionally changed their specimens' DNA in order to control them, until the project was completely stable.

Ares, the first successful project and latest addition, was not allergic to silver. Some of the scientists speculated that their own meddling in Project Ares DNA had caused the psychotic, neurotic behaviour in their specimens. Ares was perfect. Intelligent, but not too intelligent. Fast, but not too fast. Agile, but not too agile. Strong, but not too strong – he was even the first specimen ever to complete a transformation from human to demon form and back again.

A pair of red eyes were shrouded in the dark, hiding behind one of the computer-racks in the data-storage room. They, and the creature claiming their possession, were invisible to the two people standing by the terminal, desperately trying to override a very specific data-transmission – namely the last transmission ever likely to be sent from GRF. Silent steps brought the red-eyed creature closer to the console, and the man operating it.

“What the hell?” Ned had seen a flicker of something moving in the light of his torch. He knew well enough that right now, in GFR, one did not merely 'see' things. One knew things were there. With gun in right hand, and torch in the other, he slowly scanned around the 60 by 60 foot large room. 3600 square feet of computer-server shelves where demon-scum was potentially hiding was not his idea of a normal, nor entertaining round.

In the shroud of darkness, a man had swiftly moved up behind Heckler.

-- --

Sheppard was out cold when Avenger came to. The steel-tiled floor had not been a good mistress to his head. With blurred eyesight and a dazed, not to mention confused mind, he barely noticed Sheppard coming to by one of the corridor's steel walls. That, and ninety glowing eyes in the dark, all around him. Strange how swiftly people snap out of their daze upon the realization of their very near mauling to death by failed demonic experiments.

Avenger let out a slight *Sigh* before two foot-long blades of light formed on his fists' knuckles. Two minutes later, there were no more failed experiments left. Avenger had counted forty-five or so, most of which frenzied, incapable of even the simplest of tactics. They were beasts, no more, no less. The floor, formerly fairly clean and untouched, was now covered in dead demons, all of which seemed to be slowly disintegrating – their bodies turning into dancing shards of light. Avenger's blades of light disappeared now, too.

Sheppard came to. His eyes widened as he noticed Avenger's black vestments, which were without a single scratch. “Your clothes...” he paused, speculating, “Grega never attacked you.”

"You've lost me." he stated, examining his own clothes, before realizing what had happened - Grega had tricked him with an illusion.

"We've got to go - now!"

“Of course we do, but you seem worried - why?” Avenger asked curiously, not quite grasping the situation. He had not yet understood what had happened. With his right hand's blade, Avenger pierced the heart of a dying demon in front of him. In a blaze of white shards, the demon disintegrated like all the others before it. ”Few things have such beauty.” Avenger thought, watching the spectacle.

Avenger's new friend, Sheppard, drew him out of his daydreaming. “The only substance the Agency knew could kill and destroy anything is what's used in the charges set on every floor of this facility,” he said, rushing toward the end of the corridor, twisting to the right, “is anti-matter.”

“I thought anti-matter to be hard to procure?”

“Not for the Agency.”

-- --

Heckler turned around. His heart stopped for a second longer than he appreciated. The kind of shiver you get when staring into the face of death ran down his spine and back up again. He knew who this was. He had heard what he could do. Ned was still making his rounds in the room, shrouded in darkness with only the light of Ned's torch dancing along the computer-racks. A smile of the kind one gives oneself knowing something has gone exactly to plan appeared on Heckler's assassin's face.

“Die.” The only sound from Heckler was a slight whimper.

Behind Heckler's assailant, a man with red eyes had appeared. He examined the man in front of him, wearing silvery armour, and wielding a strange sword. Ares' right hand gripped around Grega's neck and lifted him off his feet, before slamming him into a nearby steel-wall. “Doctor Heckler does not seem appreciative of your threats.” he explained. Ares had never seen Heckler's eyes widen to the extent they did now. Whether it was in awe or in surprise of his miraculous rescue, Ares did not know. However, Heckler did not live to tell the tale.

Heckler's head had been chopped clean off within a tenth of a second - so swiftly that Ares did not notice before Grega's blade pierced his very own throat. A gurgling noise sounded before Ares let go of Grega's throat, and fell limp to the bloodied floor.

“Genetic enhancements, hah! ” he said, chuckling to himself, before inserting a little disc in the mainframe, entering a few commands. Meanwhile, Ned had sneaked up behind him, gun in hand, and was now pointing the muzzle at the back of Grega's head.

“I suggest you don't move, kiddo.” Ned suggested in a way most people would interpret as a fierce command. “You might be fast, but you ain't faster than a high explosive bullet ten inches from the back of your head.”

“And who might you be? Actually, don't answer that. I have little interest in dead men.”

“Cocky bastard, huh?”

“If you put the gun down, I'll kill you quickly and with very little pain.” Grega said, now smiling.

“For a guy with a gun to his head, you sure talk big.”

“For a guy about to be decapitated, you sure talk a lot.”

In a split second, Grega whirled around and slashed Ned's head clean off. No normal human being had reflexes comparable to Grega's. The mercenary retrieved his disc, slashed the terminal to bits, and walked to the doorway.

-- --

“I don't like this.” Sheppard said, wiping the sweat off his face. The ventilation system had been shut down when the power went out, and man's true best friend, CO2, was running out. Sheppard however, was pointing out the fact that there were scientists so deformed that they were hardly recognizable as human. “Oh God...” he said, pausing, having a slight epiphany, “Strain D111*6.”

Avenger had been listening to the understandably neurotic and terrified scientist for half an hour, while they were frantically trying to find Heckler and the rest of the scientists. His patience was growing thin. “Quiet, or you will be joining them.” he threatened, half jokingly, half seriously. Sheppard's jaw dropped, eyes widened. The scientist's nicotine-stained finger was pointing at something behind Avenger, who was now facing Sheppard with much dismay. “What now?!” Avenger shouted, sighing.

Behind the Death God, a horrifying sight stood with glowing red eyes, long claws, baring its long jagged teeth. It was seven feet tall, and reeked of human flesh. A scientist's coat and name-tag informed that whoever this was, his name used to be Jorge Delgado. Right now, he was more demon than anything Avenger and Heckler had seen so far in GFR.

“Run.” Sheppard stated, before taking his own advice. Avenger seemed to recall a figure similar to this from his past, vaguely. “Strain D111*6B – Demon's Blood, Avenger muttered, before forming a blade of light 3' long, and stepping toward it. The beast roared and charged forwards, horns first.

-- --

Grega stood outside the elevator, his armour reflecting the greenish light emitted by the elevator's 'Exit' sign. He could hear loud footsteps coming closer. Someone was running through the corridors, desperately trying to reach the elevator. In mere minutes, his associates would have restored power to the elevator and extract him. Sheppard's feet had finally brought him to his final resting place.

“Why the hell are you standing around here?! You don't want to die, do you? We've got to cancel that transmission!” he shouted.

“The terminal is broken.”

“What!?”

“I destroyed it.”

Sheppard paused, as if to see whether or not Grega was making a horribly bad joke. Grega's expression did not give Sheppard the impression that his hopes were true. “H-how will we get out?”

You won't.”

-- --

“Persistent bastard, eh?” Avenger asked rhetorically. He could no longer move his right arm, and had various claw wounds across his chest and face. Blood was dripping at a steady, rapid rate from his drenched clothes. A memory surfaced in his mind. One he had not had for a hundred years. Staring at Jorge the mutated demon scientist, Avenger raised his left hand and aimed its palm towards his opponent and whispered a single word; “Destruction.

Jorge's very skin, flesh and bones immediately began disintegrating, as if it was being stripped from his very bones. A hollow, angry howl erupted as it died, leaving only a cloud of white shards behind, slowly disappearing. “May your soul rest in peace, Jorge Delgado.” he muttered, before sprinting in the very same direction Sheppard had. There was no point walking around in the facility trying to find the data storage area without a guide.

-- --

Grega answered his phone. “Yeah? No, there are no problems. I'm just waiting for the secondary target now. The transfer will be done in thirty minutes or so. They'll be none the wiser.”

A pair of white glowing eyes had appeared in the dark corridor in front of Grega. Flickering around, they soon found Sheppard's mutilated body – sliced in half, diagonally across the chest. Avenger's wounds had yet to heal from the fierce battle earlier. Destruction was not an option on Grega, as he moved far too quickly for Avenger to get a grip on him. “What have you done?”

“I'll be with you in a second, just got to finish this call.” Grega said, before murmuring another sentence into the phone. Something resembling a large blob of energy flew through the air, hitting Grega in the stomach – knocking the back of his head painfully into the solid elevator door.

“How you intend on getting out of here is beyond me, Grega, but you have gone too far. Show me where the terminal is and I will spare your life.”

Grega sighed, collapsed his phone and put it in one of his pockets. A ball of energy similar to Avenger's was flung in the opposite direction, barely missing Avenger's right shoulder. “Just die already.”

With speed fiercer than anything Avenger ever encountered before, Grega lunged towards Avenger, sword in hand. A flurry of swipes aimed at Avenger's face nearly gave him a free haircut. Finally, Avenger's left hand blocked with a foot-long energy-blade. Both sides pushed with all their might, before Grega finally caved, and was thrown back. Grega peered at Avenger's right arm and smiled, before initiating another fierce attack. Grega's sword landed a deep cut in his opponent's right arm. The white blade of energy previously formed vanished.

“Looks like this is it for you, Death God.” Grega said, smiling as he stared at his defenceless foe. “This is the end, good bye.”

Neither of the fighters had noticed the announcement over the emergency-speaker-system. “Transfer complete. Self destruct sequence initiated. Destruction commencing in 20...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The sword was blown straight out of Grega's hands, while a bright light lit up the whole corridor, and tip-first burrowed into the concrete wall a few inches from where Sheppard was standing frozen by the events seen in front of his eyes. As soon as Sheppard realised he had escaped death by mere inches, he let out a scream while he slid with his back against the wall down into a sitting position. The light that originated from Avengers hand slowly diminished and the corridor darkened up again.

“What the hell was that?” thought Grega to himself as he quickly jumped backwards evading the incoming slashes launched at him by his white-eyed opponent.

“Now that I have your attention.” Avenger stood up straight “ I would like to know the meaning of your attack.”

“Its quite simple.” the swordsman grabbed his sword by the hilt and took it out of the wall as if it had been stuck in butter “You are a dangerous entity. Your existence brings nothing but death. I normally don't take on such jobs since assassination is really not my style, but since I'll be eliminating the bringer of death from this world, I made an exception for a higher fee.”

Avengers eyes started to glow brighter and brighter after hearing those words out of the swordsman's mouth. The scientists that were following Avenger were almost frozen with fear began to shiver as a strange feeling of power was in the air similar to the presence of a strong electrical source. They all started to back off into the data-storage area where Heckler was working on stopping the transfer. Ned also grabbed Sheppard by the shoulder hinting that they should get out of the area.

Avenger turned his hands into fists as they started to glow from the inside out, as if he had been holding strong lights in his palms, rays of light escaping through the areas between his fingers the light started to get intenser and intenser until the fists opened and gave way to two blindingly bright balls of light that shot directly at Grega, who managed to dodge the first one, but was hit by the second one directly into the chest sending him flying backwards into a 10 inch metal door, throwing the door along with himself into a wide room with lots of computers and broken vats.

“Man that was one hell of a hit” Grega stood up only to fall to his knees and cough up some blood.

Avenger walked through the door again holding two swords, one in each of his hands “It's time to end this.”

As he walked up to Grega, who was still on his knees, he first used his left sword to ram it through Grega's leg nailing him to the floor, and the right one to stab him through the chest, melting a hole through his chest plate and body. A scream echoed through the corridors of the facility, and as the swords disappeared again Grega stopped screaming and just fell to the floor face down.

“I will not be beaten by the likes of you” said Avenger as he simply turned round and started to walk away from the motionless swordsman, who's blood was pouring out of both wounds. “You shall die slowly here lying in your own blood.”

----------------------------------------------​

Avenger walked out of the room back into the corridor where Ned was still covering Sheppard.

“You should put that gun down.” Avenger looked at Ned who was pointing his gun at him “You will be dead before the bullet leaves it!”

“I did it sir!” Heckler was running towards Avengers location followed by the rest of the scientists. “The data transfer is interrupted and the self destruct is halted for now. But we only have about 30 minutes before by blocks become inactive.”

“Good can we start the elevators now?” Avenger smiled a bit hearing the news.

“Not yet....... we still don't have any power. Someone must go to the backup generator room and manually turn it on so we can reroute the power to the elevators.” said Heckler as he distributed special night vision goggles to everyone in the group.

“I see. How close is the backup generator?”

“Its in the opposite direction of the power circuit where I need to reroute the power” said Heckler.

“I'll go to the generator” Sheppard stood up from behind Ned regaining some of his courage “Ned can you come with me in case I meet any trouble?”

“Right behind you.” Ned returned his gun to its position at his side “Right well meet up with you guys as soon as we switch on the power. So Heckler be ready to push the button as soon as you get the juice.”

“It'll be more than pushing a button but you got it”

Ned and Sheppard left for the generator room through the corridor on the right while Avenger, Heckler and the scientists went straight towards the power circuit for the elevator. Meanwhile in the room to the back right Grega gathered enough strength to reach into his pockets and bring out a syringe which he injected into his neck before passing out.

Sheppard and Ned were making their way down a dark corridor where bodies of dead staff members were scattered round the floor as well as bodies of the escaped unsuccessful “Ares” specimens. The stench of blood and raw flesh was so strong in the air that Sheppard had to stop a bit and catch his breath, but Ned reminded him that the time was running out. As they continued down the path a scream was heard along with a *thumb* of a fallen body, while Ned quickly pulled out the gun Sheppard noticed a head like object roll past their feet in the darkness. Before he could react and scream, Ned had already fired off six shots from his handgun into a silhouette, that quickly disappeared.

“Was that......”

“Yes. Lucky it ran away instead of attacking us.” Ned came to his breath as he reloaded the gun “We need to be extremely careful. We know for a fact that at least one of those things is down here.”

They made a few steps forward when a hand suddenly grabbed Sheppard on the shoulder.

“Doctor...” said the figure behind Sheppard who screamed as soon as he felt the hand touch him.

He slowly turned round wondering why he wasn't killed yet while Ned quickly pointed his gun right between the two shiny red eyes glowing in the darkness, almost pulling the trigger when he heard the voice.

“Wait it's me Ares.” hearing that Sheppard and Ned relaxed a bit.

“I woke up and headed back down through the maintenance passages. I had to kill three of my brethren on the way though.” Ares's voice had a saddened tone while talking “I never thought they really were this mad. After that I heard a loud bang and hurried down here where i saw you two going down this hallway.”

“Yes we need to turn on the backup generator manually so Heckler can reroute the power to the elevator, but we are running out of time.”

“I'll help you get there. I sense two of my brothers are near.”

Both Ned and Ares prepared as a couple of glowing red eyes appeared in the corridor.

“The one on the left seems to be heavily wounded.” said Ares as he charged towards the one on the right.

“Must be the one I shot earlier, he probably also had some wounds from the fight in this corridor. Kinda figures heed go for help.” Ned charged forward with the gun pointed at the specimen.

Ares grabbed his failed predecessor be the head smashing it straight down into the floor, while Ned followed up and body slammed him against the wall quickly pushing his gun against his head and shooting off eight more rounds into the monsters head, while Ares was kicked back into the wall by the other specimen. Ned quickly turned round only to be grabbed by the neck and thrown back into the wall. Suddenly the specimen screamed and hit Sheppard, who managed to quickly sneak up and insert an injection into his back, on the head snapping his neck.

“John!” both Ned and Ares screamed as the failed experiment collapsed to the floor.

“DAMN!” Ned fell to his knees.

“We must hurry time is running short and the generator is right up ahead.” reminded Ares.

They quickly ran to the door at the end of the corridor where the sign said *Generator Room*.

Avenger ahead with Heckler next to him talking about how to escape the lab and the rest of the scientists behind them, the group slowly progressed towards the engineering part of the bottom floor. They heard a couple of screams every now and then but haven't met any specimens yet.

“We need to take a left here.” said Heckler pointing to a metal door that was shut tight.

Avenger extended his hand and formed a blade, the corridor lit up as he sliced cleanly through the centre of the door, before the sword and with it the light both disappeared.

“Strange how there is not a single body here, even though there is blood.” hinted one of the scientists in the group.

“The blood must have flown in from the last corridor” quickly interrupter a colleague.

“That only means we are safe here right?” continued another. The rest of them started arguing about that fact.

“Shut up you morons do you want them to hear us?” interrupted Heckler when suddenly a scream in the group was heard.

One of the scientists fell to the floor, head separating on impact, while glowing red eyes appeared on both their sides. They attacked at the same time, and while Avenger was killing of the group on their left the group on the right started to slaughter the scientists one by one. Screams and roars echoing, with the sounds of bodies falling to the floor was heard through the corridors, with flashes of light every couple of milliseconds revealing the massacre. When finally all the experiments were killed only four people remained standing.

“Joe, Mark!” said Heckler to the two scientists that collapsed to their knees during the horror they have seen “SNAP OUT OF IT!”

Avenger quickly kicked in the two halves of the door, giving way to the red light of the corridor behind it “Quickly move. More of them are on the way.”

Removing their goggles, the group continued through the door into the corridor that had a functioning emergency lighting system. The area was dry and well ventilated but that was only a small gesture as they laid eyes on the mountain of corpses tossed to the side behind the door.

“So this is where they put them all.” said Avenger as he followed the scientists through the door.

Heckler and his colleagues needed a moment to digest the image they have just witnessed, but they continued as soon as they did. They soon reached a door where the sign *Main Circuit* was displayed next to it stuck on the wall.

“Great its in here” said one of the two scientists as they both ran to the door.

“WAIT!” screamed Avenger, but he was to late to stop the happening.

The door busted open and two more red eyed humanoids jumped out killing the scientists by tearing their heads off. Heckler screamed as Avenger quickly formed two swords and sliced the specimens in two, while still frustrated that the was to late to do anything.

Heckler fell to his knees crying from the scene “How could this have happened”

“As you said. A computer malfunction. Now get your act together and set up everything to reroute the power!” Avengers face turned towards Heckler “I SAID NOW!”

Heckler embraced himself on the nearby wall still looking at the lifeless bodies of his fellow workers as he stood up and walked into the room, followed by Avenger.

“....an....ear....e......” the sound from the radio in the redly lit room was heard, but not understandable.

Heckler quickly ran to the receiver and calibrated the frequency “Can you repeat the last broadcast please?”

“Roger that doc.” Heckler was relieved to hear the voice of Ned through the radio “We are in the generator room. Power should be on line in 10 seconds. Over.”

“I roger that Ned, you and Sheppard head back as quickly as possible once it turns on. We are running out of time.” Heckler said with a shaking and half crying voice.

“Sorry doc but Sheppard was killed while killing one of them” Ned paused a bit “He injected some sort of chemical into it and got killed right after.”

Hecklers breath stood still for a while ”I see. You.... You said 'WE' are you with any other survivors?”

“Well we met up with Ares just before Sheppard got killed. Right now its just the two of us here.” Ned stopped a while to look at an instrument that read *Power control 100% ready* “Aright you got the juice, now get the elevator working. We are heading towards the elevator and well meet you there.”

Avenger stepped to the door looking down the hallway “20 of them are on their way. You need to hurry up before the others sniff us out to.” he said as he made another sword and charged towards the incoming specimens.

The lights of turned back on as the power started flowing and Heckler quickly began to reroute power from the backup generator into the elevator systems.

*ring ring* *ring ring*

“My head hurts. A phone?”

Grega slowly opened his eyes looking round him, only able to see blured shapes of his surroundings.

“Everything is kinda blurry. And why is it so bright?”

He slowly regained his eyesight and noticed his sword lying next to him in the same pool of blood he had been lying in himself. The lights were all turned back on and the stench of all the corpses in the outside corridor was present in the room.

“Looks like they got the power back on line.”

*ring ring* *ring ring*

“Oh the phone”

*beep*

“Hello.”

“Where have you been? We've been trying to reach you for the last 10 minutes!”

“Sorry bout that. Was kinda out cold.” Grega got to his feet “The target has some surprising moves. But don't worry everything is still going like planned.”

“If you screw this up I swear you will not find a safe place to hide on this planet. Not even under the smallest rock!”

*The caller hang up*

Grega examined his body noticing the hole in the armour and his healed wounds “Man that could have killed me.”

He took his sword from the floor and put it back to where it normally was strapped to his back. Walking out of the room he noticed another red-eyed specimen, only this one was dressed in a dark brown suit instead of black with the number '01' on the left side of his chest clothing. As soon as the specimen saw the swordsman it launched forward trying to grab Grega by the neck, but got its head cut off instead.

“Lousy beasts. If this really is the next generation special superhuman soldier then this whole place is a waste of time.”

Moving down the corridor into the direction the scientists ran off earlier he eventually came to the door where the sign read *data-storage area*. It was a big room with about 60 supercomputers working constantly and a console interface right behind the door.

“What's this?” he wondered as he reached the interface “It says data transfer protocol temporarily disabled. Backup protocol activation in 5 minutes. Well what ever.“

He took a disc out of his pocket and inserted it into the interface, which started to change all sorts of protocol files and ended up by disabling the transfer block.

“There that should have changed the destination server to the one of my client.”

*ring ring*

“Hello”

“We see that the data has started to be transferred to our server. We suggest you get out of there. As soon as the transfer finishes the self destruct sequence will initiate destroying all evidence. You have about 5 minutes before the transfer is finished. But first destroy the disc we gave you.”

The caller hung up again as Grega removed the disc and destroyed it.

“What are you doing?”

Grega turned round to see Ned aiming for him with his gun.

“Step away from that console!”

“I wouldn't point that thing at me if I was you.” the swordsman grinned while slowly moving away from the interface.

“Wait...” Ned realised who it was he was talking to “Y....You were supposed to be...”

“Dead?” interrupted Grega.

“I.... I saw you get stabbed through the chest!”

“Indeed that really hurt to you know.”

“H....How?”

“Well since I don't like when someone points a gun at me and I'm going to kill you anyway. I might as well tell you. I borrowed those strange injections from the doc on our way down here.”

“WHAT!” the last words Ned was able to speak before his hand was chopped off.

A loud scream followed as Grega mercilessly turned a full circle and cut off his Neds head as well.

“You bastard!” Ares screamed running down the hallway towards where his companion had fallen, but he was easily evaded by Grega who cut him in half with a horizontal slash.

“You may be a success, but you are still weak.”

Grega hurried down the corridor towards the circuit room and then the elevator area. The corridors were by now really reeking from all the bodies, and cause the ventilation system in the area was shut down the stench had no way to escape. Before he could reach the elevator area, he was cut off by two more of the specimens in brown uniforms, only they had the numbers '00' and '02' on their jacket.

“More of you guys?” Grega reached for his sword, but noticed they were faster than the last one.

Barely evading the punches, he rolled backwards taking his sword from his back mid roll. The eyes of the specimens began glowing stronger and the colour changed from dark read to blood red. Their speed increased and they were almost as fast as the swordsman, who was desperately trying to evade the incoming punches and trying to make a slash connect.

“Damn I wouldn't have problems if it was just one of them, but if its two its like the speed is two times faster.”

They all fought for position like that for about a minute when one of the specimens made the mistake of accidentally pushing forward to much, which have Grega the chance to cut off his hand and with quick slash through the air send a wave of light splitting the other one into two. While both pieces fell to the floor the swordsman quickly made a turn ramming the sword through the chest of the leftover specimen and then removed it by cutting through the chest and head upwards. As blood flowed through the air of the two killed specimens a sound was heard over the speaker system.

“Data transfer complete! Self destruct sequence initiated! Building will self destruct in 20 minutes! Repeat building will self destruct in 20 minutes!”

Grega looked to the left noticing a grenade still attached to the belt of one of the guards bodies.

Avenger and Heckler reached the corridor from the elevator area just in time to see the doors of the elevator close with Grega inside. The light started to move as Heckler ran forward in order to call the other elevator, but he didn't notice the grenade that Grega had placed below one of the corpses in front of the door and when the scientist reached the door, he nudged the corpse making the grenade explode. Heckler flew backwards, his body torn to pieces, his arm landing at Avengers feet, one of his legs at the left side of the two brown suited specimens.

“And so he dies as well.” said Avenger as he made his way to the blown up elevator shaft.

Entering the shaft he noticed the elevator was only one floor above him, so he climbed up and made a hole into the bottom of the elevator, so he could get in and use it. He pressed the button to get to the top of the complex and once the destination was reached the door opened up and Avenger walked into what looked like a big garage. It was made totally out of a rocky material resembling concrete, but according to Heckler, as he talked to Avenger earlier, it was about twice as hard, there were also a few specially designed snow trucks parked as well as motorized sleds all bearing the Gentech logo on them and in the middle a single person stood.

“Took you long enough.” Grega propelled himself forward with his sword ready for a horizontal slash, but was bocked by one of avengers light blades.

“That wont work” the swordsman's sword began to glow and the sword of light was sucked into it giving free way for Grega to attack, unfortunately his opponent managed to evade the attack backwards and started to charge a ball of bright energy in his hand again.

Same as last time he shoot the ball but Grega did not try to evade, instead he stood motionless as the ball hit him. The explosion from the impact threw smoke into the air, and when it settled down, Avenger saw it: a shield made out of energy that seemed like it was light itself, it protected the swordsman and the area behind it from any damage while the area in front of it resembled a partial crater. Avenger launched forward punching directly into the shield shattering it on impact and hitting Grega directly in the face, sending him back hitting a snow truck and falling to the ground.

“How the hell did you do that.” Grega stood up and continued “That shield is impenetrable!”

“Maybe for others, but not for me.” Avenger grinned as the announcement started again.

“Warning self destruction of the complex will commence in 15 minutes. All personnel evacuate the area within a one kilometer radius.”

The two remained standing for a while just looking at each other and then launched towards one another.

“Repeat: Self destruction of the complex will commence in 15 minutes. All personnel evacuate the area within a one kilometer radius.”

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This round was very close, but in the end, I had to give it to Grega. He really managed to get his stuff together and turned things around. Both posts this round were very enjoyable, but Grega's takes the cake by a little bit. It was lengthy, which isn't a bad thing, but that's what kept me from reading it for this long. I like to read stories from start to finish if I can. I finally found time to read it today. Sorry for keeping ya waiting so long. I like how the story is developing. There's still more dialogue than I like in Grega's story. There was enough action to keep me entertained in both posts (more so in Avenger's story as far as action goes, he cuts straight to the chase with minimal chattiness throughout the action). I enjoyed Avenger's style of writing more. I don't like it when people make every sentence into it's own paragraph, even if it's for dialogue.

*Actually, that's grammatically correct to do: each new line of dialogue is supposed to have it's own paragraph. Switching speakers requires a new paragraph. ~Cucumba

*I know, I said I don't like it, not that it's incorrect. ~Delta

This round goes to Grega for a great comeback, which means the next round will decide the winner. Begin!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]CLING![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A blade of pure white energy clashed violently with its unknown-alloy counterpart as the two combatants finished a slash from above their left shoulders. A strange phenomenon occurred. Without warning, a devastating shockwave erupted, and thrust Avenger, back of his head first, directly into a pair of closed, solid elevator doors thirty feet behind him. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His opponent took several quick steps forward, passing the large snow-trucks on their respective sides of his arms. Grega scratched his chin curiously, as if considering what to do, before bending down over Avenger, who was now sitting with his back to the reinforced steel. After a devilish grin, and an equally antagonistic short laugh, he stood back up, again carefully considering what to do. It took exactly four seconds.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thump![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was the satisfying sound of an armoured foot striking a fellow man's abdomen with tremendous speed and force. Another cackle was let out by Grega. He knew he still had plenty of time. In three minutes, a helicopter with a group of soldiers would arrive outside the thirty foot broad, ten inch thick, ten foot tall blast door, coloured an alarming fire-truck red. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega raised his sword's hilt slightly above his right shoulder before bringing the blade down diagonally with all his might. Blood spurted everywhere as the sword passed through the upper part of its victim's spinal cord. Avenger's head flew through the air, before landing with a soft thud and rolling over to the snow-truck on Grega's left. It all seemed too easy to Grega where he stood, staring at the gaping mouth and white eyes of his former opponent.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]By tapping the head gently with his foot, the head rolled around, showing its neck. A bar-code tattoo was present. “...What the hell? Avenger was one of those freaks?” he puzzled curiously before walking back to the body.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tearing off one of the rare unstained pieces of Avenger's suit, the victor cleaned his sword and breastplate with a somewhat empty feeling inside.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Calm, and with heavy, disappointed steps, the mercenary walked past the twenty or so six-foot-broad snow-trucks - all of which having around same distance between one another as the snow -trucks' average width - before reaching the end of the corridor of vehicles. Located on the wall to the right of the garage's giant blast-door - from an interior perspective - was a control panel and an emergency lever, both marked in fluorescent yellow with the words: "Emergency Access". Another few calm steps brought him directly in front of them. Grega pulled down the lever with his armour-encased hand. A satisfying click sounded as it reached its destination.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The blast-door opened in its own, slow-paced tempo, revealing a growing slip of light as the photons of varied wavelengths and frequency entered GRF's garage. The very same voice which earlier had stated "Self destruction of the complex will commence in 15 minutes. All personnel evacuate the area within a one kilometre radius." began stating: "Ten minutes remain before self-termination is triggered." - Grega's facial features revealed little if any joy that his mission was complete. For some reason, he still felt Avenger's presence.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Another mission well done," he muttered ironically while walking through the open blast-door leading out to the gargantuan, sparkling white desert that was the Antarctic. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A military-grade helicopter in winter camouflage was heading towards him rapidly - its military use made apparent by the weaponry under its small fixed wings. Grega puzzled on how the corporation he worked for had attained a helicopter like the AW101 Merlin for a short while, before walking toward the aircraft, which had found a decent flat landing-site fifty ninety or so feet from the facility. The mercenary saw no point in hurrying, and retained his calm pace as he walked over to the helicopter with heavy steps.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"No wonder there are no polar-bears on this pole," he thought out loud, studying his surroundings. There were only icy hills and snowy ground as far as his blue eyes could see. Even a hardened mercenary such as himself could only take so much of this climate. Without further ado, he walked over to the aircraft waiting for him. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was a stunning sight - a state of the art flying machine, obviously created with transportation in mind. He recalled having seen the aircraft in a pamphlet before, along with some details. With long range and capacity for seating up to twenty eight passengers, it was the ideal transport for situations like the one he was in.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After stepping aboard the flying-machine, he was greeted by a mercenary squad-captain. Grega knew him well, having worked with him in the past on many minor missions. Joining him on the flight were three crew members and a total of fourteen soldiers, including his old acquaintance. Cpt. Jeremy "Gunner" Jenkins was one of the best soldiers he had ever seen. Gunner had devised tactics and plans which greatly reduced risk, increased efficiency, and helped complete secondary objectives more times than he could remember.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Have a seat Grega," Jeremy said, pointing to the bench opposite to his, "We're bringing in the big guns on this one. An informant told us Catalyst is going to intercept us to get to you. God damned do-gooders."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega noticed his companions' dress-code was fairly identical. They were all wearing what seemed to be unmarked military uniforms with winter-camouflage patterns. Ideal for possible hostile encounters and battles on the coldest continent on Earth. For a moment, he wondered whether the soldiers would keep him out of Catalyst's arms or not. Peering out one of the windows inside the Merlin, the swordsman noticed another aircraft - namely an Apache AH-64D, one of the most advanced helicopters and war machines on the planet. This sight laid his worries to rest - what could Catalyst possibly do to capture him with such a machine on their side?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- -[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger had a hangover. He had poured well over a bottle of whisky down his throat all at once a mere four hours ago. He was sober already. Sometimes, he was less than fond of regenerating. "Two bottles next time," he decided, upset that Deman decided to give him a mission at 06.00 in the morning. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"ANTARCTICA?!" he had shouted furiously over the phone. Ironically, he had been in Australia to escape from the cold grip winter had on much of America and Europa. Now he was on his way to what he personally believed to be Hell on Earth. "At least the actual Hell was warm, and had pleasant company," he muttered under his breath, scowling at the soldier sitting on the bench across from his in the helicopter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]They were flying South in a modified Huey, a model also known as the Bell UH-1, capable of seating fourteen people plus the pilots. It was altered for extremely low temperatures, and had various features most modern helicopters only saw in science fiction films, such as a stealth mode. Right now, even God would be unable to spot them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The soldier Avenger was scowling at was unaffected by the burdens of common courtesy, and had lit up a cigarette in the small, unvented space. He was the only soldier coming with him - apparently, they thought Avenger capable of handling anything, provided he had a little ranged support. Dereck Blaze was the finest marksman and soldier Catalyst had to offer. He was also the toughest, meanest, leanest son of a ***** Avenger had ever known.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The pilot, Greenwood, spoke into the mic on his headset. "Sir, have you sobered up yet?" he asked cautiously, possibly keeping in mind that last time someone asked Avenger whether he was intoxicated or not, he had to be flown to the hospital with severe blood loss, a broken arm and three fractured ribs. The man in question was annoyed by the pilot's question, but retained his manners, and merely nodded as a response. "We'll be intercepting them using unorthodox means. Blaze will be taking care of any hostile aircraft, while you'll be hijacking the target's transport."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze blew smoke in Avenger's face. "Want to try that again, hot-shot?" the sober - and therefore grouchy - Death God asked threateningly, eyes flashing white. After a few seconds of silence from Blaze, the regenerator muttered; "Thought not." before letting his eyes go back to their normal state. Although he had pretty much just woken up, [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger decided he should get his bearings and surroundings under control.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Next to Blaze laid a weapon of the type Accuracy International AS50. An anti-materiel rifle powerful enough to fire 12.7 mm bullets through mostly any armour - it being semi-automatic not helping whatever it was aimed at. Blaze normally worked alone, tasked with terminating vehicles, high-risk targets and enemy agents who otherwise would have been nearly impossible to kill close-range. Along with the two five-round clips of HE bullets, Blaze had brought three clips of anti-personnel rounds - no doubt in the event of Avenger's failure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Although he despised the man, Avenger also had a certain amount of respect for Blaze. He had no unique super-abilities, and at a physicians glance, Dereck Blaze was just another example of a well built human being, although in unusually and incredibly good shape - possibly better than himself. Dereck took a deep, final drag of his cigarette, finishing it off, before flicking it at the window to the left of Avenger. If Blaze were an ordinary man without a .50 calibre sniper-rifle, not covering his back in a current mission, he might have punched him at this point. The thought of being hit by one of his rounds did not seem appealing, as it would take ages for him to regenerate such massive damage.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On many an occasion, his memory-storing DNA had been an obviously useful trait. Massive brain-damage and a destroyed brain had not prevented him from regenerating and healing the ruined parts of his body with his memory intact. It was both a gift and a curse at the same time, as it was flawed. He could only remember basic parts of himself, language, certain combat skills and logics beyond a period of ten years. His memory was mostly gone from the many hundreds of years he was assumed to have lived, and only had them surface in his mind on rare occasions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Greenwood, have an ETA for me?" Avenger asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Three minutes until we drop long-range support off, Sir." the pilot replied.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Can't wait," Blaze commented, looking at Avenger before looking back at the pilot, as if hinting something.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Both soldiers were wearing clothes for the occasion. Catalyst special-ops uniforms, designed for cold environments, covered with a winter-style camouflage-pattern. Blaze's front jacket pocket had a few cigarettes in it, although otherwise, both their uniforms were fairly inconspicuous.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The helicopter started to decline. Blaze picked up his 30 pound rifle, hung it on his back, strapped the belt with his clips in around his waist, and stepped out of the helicopter, making a sarcastic salute to Avenger on the way. "Good riddance." the Death God muttered, jolting his head a bit to force the medium-length white hair from hanging in front of his eyes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"We'll hover here for a few seconds before we get Blaze's cue." the pilot informed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I hope you can fly like a humming-bird, Greenwood - because my stunt depends on it." Avenger said, partly to himself, partly to Greenwood, the pilot. He never did like the plans cooked up by HQ, as they usually involved putting him in risk of serious injury and or death.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze laid on the ground, self content as he had the AH-64D perfectly within his sights. There was a bit of wind, but he could easily counter it thanks to extensive experience and Lady Fortuna winking his way. What worried him was the cold. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"God, Avenger, you better not **** this up."[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] he thought, trying to warm his hands by moving his fingers. The helicopter moved forwards - close enough for him to fire. "Another day, another bird to shoot down." he said to himself, water-vapour escaping from his mouth to form a little white cloud rising from underneath his white ski-mask. The scope measured distance. 2.2 kilometres. "Bye bye birdie." he murmured before pulling the trigger.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Click. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blam![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of Blaze's HE bullets twirled rapidly through the air, heading right on course for its destination. It took it approximately two and a half seconds for the little slice of death to hit its target - namely the cranium of a very specific AH-64D pilot. Blaze took the opportunity to rub his gloved hands together, generating a little warmth, before radioing in to the pilot. Approximately three and a half seconds later, the gunshot would sound two kilometres away - near an exploding helicopter. He knew this from a bit of simple math, what with his bullet moving at 800 m/s, and the speed of sound being a mere 340 m/s.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"They never hear me coming," Dereck laughed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A celebratory smoke was in order, and Dereck decided to try getting a cigarette out of his front pocket. He only smoked during missions, never normally. Half for calming his nerves, and half for the pleasure it instilled in him. After nimbly fishing a lighter out of his right trouser-pocket, he lit up, and took a deep victory-drag. The rest was up to Avenger, if all went according to plan.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I hate it when you do that." Avenger informed the pilot through his radio-headset with much dismay, feeling his guts churn as the aircraft ascended for a solid fifteen seconds before diving forwards.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Get ready to rock, Sir." Greenwood said, before throwing Avenger the grappling gun he was to use in the stunt. Avenger caught it with a bit of trained finesse before attaching himself to the strap. The slide-door opened from the push of a button on Greenwood's console.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Bye!" Avenger shouted as he threw himself out the helicopter door-opening. If it were not for the knowledge that his line was, indeed, elastic, Avenger would never have done so, as excruciating pain was very rarely part of his mission objectives. After a bit of bouncing and dangling, Avenger got his bearings, and used his headset to coordinate movement with Greenwood.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sensation of having nothing under his feet always felt strange to Avenger. Even after a number of rappelling and parachuting missions, he still felt odd about hanging from a line with only a machine and a strap controlling how fast he plummeted towards the ground. It was a good, not to mention exhilarating type of odd. Five hundred metres below him, he could see the crashed AH-64D burning. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"All right, the helicopter is just a bit below us now, they seem to be focusing on finding Blaze rather than paying attention to their radar. I suppose they think we're an escort. I'm moving you into position." the pilot informed, before descending quickly, turning the helicopter around, and matching the AW101's speed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Similar to a scene in a James Bond film, Avenger fired the grapple-gun at the spot right above the AW101's right side-door. Now he attached his strap to the grapple-gun, and released the helicopter's line, all within a few seconds. What he wasn't prepared for, was the sudden drop in altitude, and hanging behind a helicopter moving 300 km/h through the Antarctic. If another person had been close enough to hear Avenger speak, he would likely have been hearing the word "****." repeated over and over again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze was currently watching the scene with a healthy amount glee. Through his distance-counting scope, he had full view of Avenger's facial expressions. Missions - not to mention occurrences - like these made the hard work and training worth it. Watching Avenger hang behind a helicopter moving full speed ahead was incredibly satisfying. It was a sad thing that Catalyst had a policy against filming missions. Avenger had now managed to climb aboard the helicopter. He doubted the people inside would find Avenger's situation comical - rather hostile and astounding than such. Rising to his feet, Blaze took out another cigarette, lit up, and drew the smoke deep into his lungs. It was a good day to die, he decided, mesmerized by the sparkling everythings in the area.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the distance, Blaze saw a strange white flash, followed by a large exploding sphere. "Now that's something you don't see every day," he stated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega stared blankly at the figure just having ripped open the helicopter's right door. After two intensive sessions of blinking, he came to the conclusion that what he was seeing, was in fact, real, and not a hallucination. Cold and angry, Avenger stood very much alive in front of him and the other mercenaries. How he had gotten aboard was [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]beyond him, but he concluded it must have involved fairies or magical unicorns. That, or some kind of aircraft, which he deemed more likely. Before he had a chance to get to his feet, his recently deceased opponent had swiftly thrown four soldiers out the door from which he came, a feat made possible by his sudden and surprising appearance. Grega saw a fist approaching his face at an alarming rate.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thud.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Everything went black.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Six minutes later, Avenger landed the helicopter. It was far from a good landing, but at least he and the target were still alive. Blaze had been steadily moving in his direction - something done slowly with a thirty pound rifle on ones back - and was now noticeable in the horizon. Five of the mercenaries inside the helicopter were still alive after Avenger's stunt. They were the lucky ones - rather than a seventy metre plummet to an icy death, they were only given a fist, knee or elbow in the face. It had been remarkably easy, as the element of surprise proved devastating. Who expects a man to rip open your helicopter door and start throwing people out? Paranoid, delusional people, best off locked up, although not in this case.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Wakie wakie." Avenger told Grega, who laid unconscious on the ground. He had taken all the necessary precautions, in the event that the little man was, in fact, a potential threat. The strange sword he had possessed was safely plunged into the ice, and he himself had great problems moving it, not to mention pulling it out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega grunted angrily where he laid in the snow, cold and battered. Avenger could tell this had been far from the man's idea of a good day. The expression on his face was a prime example of shock and anger blended together in a confusing mix. A few seconds later, Grega had regained enough of his facilities to speak.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I killed you." he stated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Recently?" Avenger retorted ironically.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega's voice turned cool. "Less than half an hour ago."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Half an hour ago, I was sitting in a cramped helicopter, across from an extremely annoying man." the Death God reminisced.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega was losing his patience, although it had no importance in his current situation. "I severed your head from your body, you piece of trash."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His captor's reply this time was a kick to the side, no doubt striking one of his kidneys. Grega winced in pain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I thought you might agree with me that calling your captor trash is a bad idea." Avenger stated, smiling. "...and saying you killed me really, really won't make me go away."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"**** you." the mercenary said, spitting at Avenger's feet - missing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"If you tell me what I need to know, there won't be a need for further pain. We'll drop you off anywhere you want." Avenger informed. After all, he had been given a mission - he [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]intended on finishing it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze stepped up next to Avenger and delivered a kick to Grega's groin. "This is where the party's at, right?" he asked, a half finished smoke between his lips.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"...I was making progress Dereck, God damn it." the white-coated man stopped, watching Grega curl up, before turning around and walking back toward the helicopter. He had to make sure his other guests were still enjoying themselves. One was missing. Apparently, he had been a bad host.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dereck flicked his cigarette-butt in Grega's face before continuing his interrogation. "Just tell us what we need to know, so we can get the hell out of this place." the sniper said, almost compassionately. After all, the ground was freezing, and Grega was hardly wearing clothes to suit the temperature. Dereck's companion could hear him muttering something to himself regarding the helicopter's battery and some cables, and how it might heat their guest of honour up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Blaze?" Avenger inquired, freezing up a bit as he noticed something strange in the helicopter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Yeah?" he replied, while pushing the heel of his boot into Grega's stomach.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I think the missing mercenary grabbed a radio." the Death God paused for a few seconds. "Call for backup. I have a bad feeling about this."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thud![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The mercenary captain had awakened as Avenger's foot hit one of Grega's kidneys. Gently, he moved up to the window, watching the two men talk, Grega curled up in the snow. "Radio. I need a radio. Where's the ****ing radio, Jeremy?" he frantically thought to himself, scanning the compartment with his eyes. "There!" he exhaled, before [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]snatching a satellite radio from the floor. "Now to get the hell out of this thing."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Two minutes of silent and careful manoeuvring later, Gunner found himself outside in the snow, on the helicopter's opposite side. It took another thirty seconds for him to reach headquarters. They were sending backup - a lot of backup. The data could not reach enemy hands.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ten minutes went by. Avenger had called Greenwood for a pickup - only Greenwood had yet to reply. Something was very, very wrong. In Catalyst HQ, there had been rumours that several less-than-legitimate organizations had several military facilities on the South Pole. There was a distinct possibility that Greenwood was no longer among the living. Something tiny and white appeared in the horizon. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze had detached his scope, and was already examining it. "It's an AW101. Definitely not Catalyst property." he stated grimly. Within mere seconds, he had reattached his scope, and gone into prone position, ready to fire. It only took two seconds for him to focus and pull the trigger.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Click. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blam![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The helicopter began swirling wildly before hitting the ground, exploding in a furious blaze of metal and fire. Blaze's scope scanned the horizon for survivors. There were several. Meanwhile, Avenger was tapping Blaze's shoulder with his leg. "They didn't come alone." he informed him, pointing in the opposite direction. Helicopters from the North, West and East had begun swarming towards their location.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"We need assistance right ****ing now! At least eight helicopters are incoming, and we have no way of getting out of here!" Avenger shouted into the satellite-phone. Only static came as a reply. Slowly it dawned on them: Communications were jammed - they were on their own.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze had eighteen rounds left total. There were fourteen helicopters. "I knew I should've stayed home today," he sighed, before preparing for another shot.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"I'll do what I can Blaze." the regenerator said assuringly before rushing towards the most helicopter-infested direction he could spot.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Energy-balls lit up in each hand, and several more spawned as the previous ones were hurled in rapid succession towards the helicopters.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Click.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Blam! [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Click. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blam![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The AS50 had fired two more rounds, effectively downing two helicopters.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Click. Click. Click.[/FONT]

“****!” the marksman shouted, realising the rifle had jammed. It was designed for warmer temperatures, and the firing mechanism had frozen shut. Blaze threw the rifle on the ground and kicked it, muttering something along the lines of “worthless piece of crap” before getting the lighter out of his pocket.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger's energy-balls had downed a few helicopters as well, but their creator was panting heavily. It was too exhausting. “How many are left?” he asked.[/FONT]

“Seven. They can take at least 20 soldiers each. 140 soldiers would be my estimate. Why would they want this information to be kept hidden so badly?!” Avenger's partner asked, while placing a cigarette between his lips, covering the lighter with his left hand, and lighting up.

“ 14 helicopters does seem ... unnecessary for preventing the capture of [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]one [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]man.”[/FONT]

“ ...If they jammed our radio signals, they must have known we were coming. Odds are they might have known [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]who [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]was coming too. They don't care this much about Grega. They want [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]you.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]”[/FONT]

“ Why the hell would they want [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]me[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]?” Avenger's eyes narrowed as he stared at the incoming helicopters. They were still rather docile – none of them had laid down any significant fire towards their position.[/FONT]

“Grega said he had killed you, right?” Blaze remembered, pulling the poison gas from his cigarette deep into his lungs.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger paused momentarily, before nodding in agreement. “Right.”[/FONT]

“Maybe he wasn't sent to that facility to steal information. Maybe he was sent there to make sure no one knew the Agency had stolen your DNA.”

“They cloned me?” he said, confused. Some of the helicopters were landing.

“Not unlikely. It was that kind of facility.” a cloud of smoke pushed out through Blaze's nostrils.

“ Well, this day just gets more and more surprising. Turns out you can shoot [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]and [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]think. If you live to have another drink, it's on me, Blaze.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega had listened to the conversation. It all seemed probable. Not that any of it mattered – he would still get paid. He even got another chance to kill Avenger. Cautiously tapping his jacket, he could feel the syringes were still intact. They were durable, and luckily, highly efficient. While the two were busy staring at the incoming armada of helicopters, he injected himself. The pain in his stomach and kidneys subsided. Marks and bruises disappeared. He was a new man. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Ahh, the brilliance of science.” [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]he thought.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Obviously, at least one of the mercenaries had survived, and told the Agency of the incident. If the living Avenger was anything like the cloned Avenger, he would have no chance. Grega was no run-of-the-mill mercenary. His mission [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]would [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]be completed, cost what it would. Slowly, he rose to his feet, before walking over to the Death God staring at the helicopter-filled horizon.[/FONT]

“Remember me?” he said sweetly, before throwing a punch.

“What the-”

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thwack![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger stared dazed at his attacker. Grega's armoured fist had broken his nose. Streams of thick crimson liquid flowed down from his nostrils.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Three rapid jabs to the abdomen had dazed Avenger further. “You pissed me off [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]bigtime [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger. I'm going to make this slow.”[/FONT]

“You should've picked up your sword.” Avenger smirked. A ball of light appeared in his left hand, and with a fair amount of power, it struck Grega in the face. The shockwave hurled him backwards, and with a thumping sound he hit the ice rolling.

“...That's a trick I haven't seen you do.” he commented while getting back on his feet. “Maybe this time I won't be so disappointed.”

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger rolled his eyes before flinging another energy ball in Grega's general direction – only Grega was now behind him, in the process of delivering a round-house kick to Avenger's head. Had he not been in possession of acute perception and focus, Grega might have knocked him unconscious. By ducking and tripping the mercenary, he found himself looking down on Grega yet again.[/FONT]

“...What the hell?” Grega stuttered.

“You fought a clone last time. I'm the real deal. There's a difference.” the regenerator smiled.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Without warning, Grega bounced back on his feet and threw a punch, nearly hitting Avenger's already broken nose another time. From the look on his face, it seemed he had realised something. This Avenger was not the Avenger he had fought before. This Avenger was a God of Death.[/FONT]

“ My sword. I need my sword. [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]God damn it![/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I won't be stopped by a freak like him. Not now, not ever.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega leapt towards his sword with a speed leaving Blaze staring at a mere blur. His opponent bared his teeth as the muscles around his mouth morphed his otherwise nonchalant expression into a smile. “Changed your mind, did you?”[/FONT]

“ **** you.” he raged. “I killed you. You're [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]DEAD[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif], you hear me?! I did it once. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I can do it again[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif].”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The mercenary pulled at his sword's hilt. It hardly moved. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Don't abandon me now. Not now. Any time but now.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger moved towards his former captive. “This isn't about you and me any more. You can leave.” the white-haired man looked at the helicopters. “I've got more than enough to deal with as it is. “[/FONT]

“ What's this? A God of Death afraid of a few soldiers and a mercenary?!” Grega spat, laughing maniacally. [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“I don't have time for this.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze had begun approaching Grega. “Last time I saw him fight over a hundred men, the result didn't turn out too good for them. I suggest you walk aw-”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]CRASH![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The ice around Grega's blade exploded like a grenade. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“I knew you wouldn't let me down.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger and Grega faced each other with mere metres in between. The swordsman raised his weapon to a stance. Avenger's eyes flashed white for a moment. Two blades seemed to form on his overarms, starting at the elbow, stretching more than a foot beyond his knuckles.[/FONT]

“What the hell..? Could he do that before?”

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger's companion stared at the two, before turning towards the helicopters, watching them land. Soldiers were pouring out, streaming towards them. “Uh, Avenger?”[/FONT]

“Not now.”

“God damn it.”

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Death God stared at Grega, who seemed focused and determined. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“This isn't good.” [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]he thought, realising the troops were surrounding them more and more every second that went by. Grega began his attack.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]SWISH![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega's blade sliced the air where Avenger's head used to be. A blade of energy thrust upwards from Avenger's currently crouched position as he simultaneously shifted his weight towards Grega. The two blades clashed for a moment, before Avenger withdrew his right arm-blade, and followed up with the left. If his opponent had been a common human being, his heart would have been pierced.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The mercenary evaded Avenger's second thrust by twirling around, while starting a round-house kick. Impact. Avenger wobbled backwards, desperately clinging to the shred of balance he had left. Grega was fast. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Too fast. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Something had to be done.[/FONT]

“I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but you leave me no choice.” Avenger said, gritting his teeth.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mercenary troops were closing on them in a circle no more than two hundred feet away, all armed to the teeth. Avenger focused deeply. Everything seemed to slow down. Grega was initiating another strike, but it was futile. Avenger already knew where he was going to strike, and had made suitable countermeasures.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]KSSHK.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blood spurted from Grega's mouth. A white blade stuck out from the mercenary's back. From the looks of things, it had pierced various vital organs. Grega's sword had fallen to the Antarctic ice with a resonating [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cling[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]. His formerly determined expression had faded. The only thing remaining of his resolve was in his blue eyes, which seemed to chill as their owner realised what had happened.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze was somewhat confused on exactly what was going on. Grega was on the ground, lifeless, and Avenger was flinging energy balls in every direction. He himself was pulling the trigger of the nine millimetre in his hand, praying every single one of his shots hit. There seemed to be no end to the waves of soldiers marching towards them. Avenger's energy balls were far from lethal, and were only effective at keeping the soldiers at bay.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was beyond him how Avenger could still be standing. He had seen his partner be shot at least a dozen times - although dodging most of the fire valiantly - yet he kept flinging. A fiery aura seemed to surround him where he stood. It was unlike anything Blaze had ever seen – and Blaze had seen a lot, from demons summoning ghouls to men with the power to freeze a man in his tracks.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of the mercenary soldiers had dropped a satellite radio. It was a mere thirty feet in front of him. “Might be our only shot,” he thought, before commencing a slow crawl towards the black piece of technology.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blam![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Blaze looked up and saw a man he had never seen before. His legs felt cold and numb. Darkness began to shroud his sight.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gunner stared at the man throwing energy balls left right and centre. He was too preoccupied to notice him crouching down by Grega's side, taking one of the syringes located on his body, and stabbing it into its target's neck. A few seconds passed. The sound of gunshots kept on ringing in his ears – the soldiers were still firing. For an instant, Grega's eyelids fluttered. Life commenced spreading throughout his body. He had awakened.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What the...” he coughed out, his voice weak and trembling.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He's holding off the troops. I thought you'd want to finish him off.” Gunner said with a smile.[/FONT]

“Damn right.[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]” his friend replied, getting into a crouching position with a bit of help from Jeremy. Grega's eyes searched the area for a few moments, before realising the sword was right next to him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger fell to his knees. He was exhausted. Ten minutes of fending off an army of soldiers. At least a hundred were still alive, although some unconscious and wounded. He knew for a fact thirty were still healthy and ready to fight. As for him, he had been wounded severely. “Dying in a place like this... what a horrible way to go. Still, probably not the worst death I ever had.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The gunfire had ceased. Likely someone had noticed Avenger falling to his knees. They were moving forwards. In the distance, he could hear mumbling and relieved laughter. He had put up a good fight. Soon, they would be moving in to capture him, and use him as a template for new clones. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Clink. Clink. Clink. Clink.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega's metal boots hit the ice as he stopped behind Avenger. [/FONT]“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Turn around.” he ordered.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Avenger remained still.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I said [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]TURN AROUND, AVENGER![/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]” the mercenary commanded, raising his voice to a volume appropriate for shouting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]CLINK![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega's foot crashed into the the side of Avenger's head, sending it into the ice.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Agency told me this would be a pain-in-the-ass mission, but you've exceeded that. You nearly killed me, and now it's time to pay.” he said.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was never about you, or any data, was it?” Avenger coughed up blood as he lifted his head from the ice. Several bullets had grazed his lungs earlier, and he was paying the price.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I don't know, and I don't care.”[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]They tricked you, Grega. They made you do their dirty-work.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sword-for-hire paused a moment before replying. “That's what I get paid for.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Light began to form and concentrate along the edge of Grega's sword, as if it was charging up for something. Avenger could feel the energy pulsing, even though he was facing the opposite direction. It was a finishing attack. “Is this it?” the Death God contemplated, before pausing a moment. “No, this isn't how it ends.” he thought out loud, his tone of voice overflowing with confidence.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grega raised his sword. Avenger arose to his feet. “It's over, Death God.” his executioner to be stated with what he imagined was a smug grin. He began grinning himself.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A brilliant white flamelike aura began erupting all around Avenger, its fires seemingly dancing and toying in the wind. The Death God turned around, revealing his grin. “No, Grega, this is only the beginning.”[/FONT]

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega made a slash aiming towards Avengers head, but his opponent easily evaded it by ducking and rolling backwards, then countering with a jump forward and punching into the swordsman's chin from below sending him flying towards the ceiling. Avenger quickly jumped into the air rotating and kicking the mercenary into the chest, sending him back towards a door that said “Security”. Mid-flight Grega managed to do a back-flip landing on his feet instead of his back, but he still held his chest showing that the impact hurt his body. He stood up straight and seemed to remain motionless as Avenger rushed forward with a blade forming on his arm and slashing straight through the swordsman, who just disappeared.

“What the hell?” Avenger started to look round in search of his opponent, but was unable to see a thing “Show yourself!”

A sword appeared out of nowhere and was flying to where Avenger was standing but was dodged easily, followed by two more failed attempts using this tactic before Grega became visible again. He charged forward at Avenger who prepared to block, but got hit from behind by a kick to his head and sent to the ground. He felt someone grabbing his foot as Grega started to spin round like a top before letting go of Avengers leg and sending him head-first against the wall making a crack in it.

“That shouldn't have been everything” said the swordsman as he walked to his downed target “Come on, I know you can take more than that!” He raised his sword above his head and made a slice directly downwards to where Avenger was, who side-rolled out of the way.

Avenger still holding his head stood up slowly, but watching his opponent carefully in case of a surprise attack, but the mercenary just jumped backwards and disappeared like he did before. The white-eyed person carefully looked round in hopes of finding his advisory, but alas he was unable to locate him again.

“COWARD!” screamed Avenger just before he started running round the garage to make himself harder to hit “Stop hiding and fight!” As he was running he thought he heard a second set of footsteps closing in from the front, so he changed his direction again. After repeating the same process he noticed that his opponent couldn't completely hide his presence, so he aimed his kick to where the sound of footsteps was coming from successfully hitting Grega and sending him back into the wall.

Avenger quickly made a fist with his hand and opened it again to reveal a small ball of energy, which he threw at the mercenary, followed by 10 rapid shots of the same attack, that made a small crater in the wall with the swordsman in the middle of it.

Grega fell down to one knee as blood slowly flowed down his forehead, between his eyes, past his mouth and dripping off his chin. He got back up wit a bit of a puzzled expression on his face wondering how his target was able to hit him even he manipulated light so that it went round his body making him invisible.

“That won't work any more. You may be able to hide yourself but your presence is still round.” said Avenger as he formed two blades again.

“Warning self destruction of the complex will commence in 10 minutes. All personnel evacuate the area within a one kilometer radius.” the announcement was followed by the faint sound of a helicopter above ground.

“Seems my ride is here.” said the swordsman launching forward “Time to end this.”

The blades collided again followed by Avengers second blade making a slash, but being successfully evaded by Grega, who jumped into the air over Avenger and kicking him full force into the back, making him loose his balance long enough for the mercenary to recover and attack his opponents head, just to be blocked by one of the two swords again. They fought like that for a couple of seconds when Gregas sword suddenly started blowing and releasing a bright flash of light that resembled that of a stun-grenade, temporarily blinding Avenger, who quickly jumped backwards.

As his eye site returned he saw the swordsman's fist glowing right before all the energy contained in it was released, in the form of a beam, hitting Avenger's leg burning it slightly. The expression of pain showed on his face for a moment before he had to block the next couple of slashes by the swordsman. Again they fought for position going back and forward with slashes and kicks, when Avenger managed to grab Gregas hand throwing him over his shoulder into one of the modified snow trucks, then quickly grabbing a nearby motor sled and throwing it at the swordsman, who barely recovered from the impact and smashing him against the same truck.

“That was close.” said Grega removing the sled from in front of him “I barely had enough time to set up my barrier.” the blood trail still present on his face and an expression of pain he stood up straight and started to form another energy attack in his left hand while holding the sword firmly with the right.

The sword began to glow brighter and brighter as he launched the energy from his hand making Avenger jump to his left, not noticing Grega swinging the sword which fired a laser like beam forward. Avenger quickly spun round increasing his velocity in order to escape the second attack, but he accidentally forgot to retract his left hand back to his body and the ray hit it. The death god screamed as the sword on his left disappeared and his hand fell off right below the elbow, the ray being intense enough to instantly bake the wound so there was no blood coming out of it. He fell to his knees holding the place, where just a couple of moments ago the rest of his hand was still attached to his body, and screaming from the top of his lungs.

“This is the end for you” said the swordsman in a voice cold enough to sound like death itself was speaking, as he straightened up and caught his breath a bit.

Avenger still on his knees let go of his wound, charged an attack the size of a marble and threw it at Grega, who didn't notice it in time and tried to block it with his sword, but noticed right away his sword was cracking when the attack hit it, so he let go and jumped left only to be engulfed by all the energy set free when the sword broke. The explosion threw him backwards into the wall next to the security room door, creating a crater in the wall big enough to disturb the door lock system forcing it to open. The swordsman fell to his knees and hands spitting out blood from the impact, he also felt several of his ribs were broken, and his left shoulder dislocated.

Above the ground the helicopter that landed in front of the main entrance where Grega first appeared had a man talking to someone over a radio.

“Did you stop the self destruction sequence?”

“Yes sir!”

“What's the status of the package?”

“There should still be some data on the project from the looks of things down here.”

“Retrieve the data and start the self destruction again. We must leave no evidence, but we have to get the data since the backup was rerouted from Gentech's server to an unknown destination.”

“Yes sir!”

The man besides the mission leader turned towards the hole made by Grega when he arrived “I hope everything goes well. We cant afford to run into stray experiments like this”

“Don't worry. The intruder we saw on the cameras probably took out all of them”

“But the numbers should still be round. Our indications show only 3 of 5 have been neutralised. The other two should still be in there.”

The radio began receiving a transmission that was pretty distorted “.....MAY DAY!...... ENEMY..... CASUALTIES.........”

Screams were heard just after the transmission ended. The commander quickly ordered the pilot to take off, but saw the specimen in a brown uniform with the number 04 in front of the helicopter. The specimen jumped through the front of the helicopter killing the pilot by ripping out his heart and then proceeded to kill the commander and the person next to him. The dead pilot fell forward hitting the throttle switch of the helicopter making it go up and flip backwards and falling back down destroying most of itself.

The specimen then took the gun from the commander and shoot a few holes into the helicopters fuel tank, igniting the fuel and making the machine blow up “Thank you for deactivating the turrets.”

The sound of the helicopter explosion was heard in the garage as Grega quickly recovered from his wounds using another syringe, after hitting his shoulder back into place.

“You destroyed my sword!” he said with an angry expression in his face as he got back to his feet “And you made me use up the last of those miracle cure injections to.”

He started to gather particles of light from his environment round various parts of his body, creating a second armour over his original. The gloves got small spikes on the knuckles, a helmet and chest plate all in a colour that resembled gold. He launched forward punching Avenger, who was still in pain, into the stomach piercing the skin and sending him flying back into a snow truck and following up with 3 more punches causing the snow truck to fall to its side and Avenger falling to the ground. The death god managed to charge another energy ball and threw it directly into the mercenary's chest place sending him flying backwards and causing him to loose enough concentration for the armour to disappear.

“Fool. That hurt you to.” Grega got back to his feet and started charging energy in his hands again.”You can't fight back any more so I'll bury you here so you can blow up with this complex.” After saying that he shoot the energy into the ceiling just above Avenger causing it to fall down and bury his opponent under the rubble. The swordsman picked up both parts of his broken sword and headed to the garage exit.

Upon arriving at the surface he saw the demolished helicopter and the specimen numbered 04 standing there with a gun pointed at him. And another specimen numbered 03 coming out of the complex main entrance.

04 shot at Grega but the bullet passed through him, surprising the specimen, but it was to late, the mercenary's hands already grabbed the specimen by the head and snapped his neck. Grega fell to his knees due to exhaustion and the specimen closed in for the kill, but was shot by a barrage of bullets from the incoming helicopter. Grega recognised the helicopter as the one planned for the extraction, so he stood back up only to get warning shots from the gun.

“Sorry but we don't need you any more” said the man with the megaphone “ and cause the countdown was stopped would you please go ahead and die.”

Grega had already given up, when suddenly an energy ball hit the helicopter causing it to go down. It was Avenger who came from the garage exit.

“Deserted by your employer. So what do you plan to do now?” asked the death god barely being able to stand at the entrance.

“Well I wont fight you any more.” Grega walked past Avenger towards a motor sled “You killed the people who wanted to screw me so let me give you your payment”

Grega handed the last syringe to Avenger “It wont recover your energy but it'll heal your injuries. I'm heading for the town a couple of kilometers east of here. Do what you want with that injection.”

Grega got on the sled and drove off leaving Avenger, who injected the syringe, back at the complex to heal his wounds.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked both stories. Grega, you had a lot of action this time around which is good, but at the cost of an immersing story. You went from a lot of action to a little story and back to a lot of action. It was all action, virtually no story. I know I said that I liked little dialog, but not that little. So for that (not just for that, mind you), I have to give this round to Avenger.

Avenger, I loved the story. It was immersing, you gave personalities to your characters, and you had a great balance between action and story. I liked the bit about your clone, I thought that was very creative. Never seen that done before. No narrative explanation of it, just character thoughts and dialog. I loved that.

So, the fight goes to Avenger! Congratulations. Your story didn't really have an ending that I could see, so if you want to finish that up and maybe throw in a fatality or something, you can.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
”RELEASE!”

The ice beneath their legs shook. Grega stepped back with fear painted on his ice-frosted face. A strange explosion of energy was erupting from all around of Avenger, based at his feet. The soldiers who had been gathering around him were terrified, and had decided to flee. It was too late. There would be no mercy – not this time. Avenger first directed his right hand palm at Grega, whose terror had yet to fade. The Death God smiled as Grega disintegrated into white shards of energy, a silent scream stemming from his lips until they too were annihilated.

The soldiers had begun firing at him from a distance. They had no way of winning. All around him, white energy served as a shield powerful enough to disintegrate any bullet that tried to penetrate. He had no time for them to run out of ammunition. First, he focused energy into both of his palms. Then, he plunged them into his chest. A shockwave erupted twenty feet from Avenger's centre, barely allowing Blaze to be within the safe zone. The soldiers' images were still visible after the shockwave had destroyed them, and was only a few seconds later deteriorating as Grega had.

Avenger turned to Blaze, and touched his heart with his hand. Strands of light began coursing through his body, as if his heart was transmitting the energy Avenger had poured into it. The soldier awakened, silent and understanding. Calm and without the exchange of words, the two warriors walked towards the helicopters in the distance. They had won.

- - - - - - - - -

Fatality! ;> According to the official fight club rankings, Grega has 1830 xp points, which will be added to my own 12820. Grega will receive 1282 xp from me as he gets 10% for losing. This brings my xp to 14660, and his to 3112.

It was a good match. Oh, and I'm sorry I didn't bother to write a long fatality/ending thing, I just didn't feel it was necessary.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So guess you killed me. I supose ill have to rewrite my BIO then.

Was a nice match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom