The Red Ring of Death

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's finally happened to me, and I must say that thus far I'm not terribly impressed with Micro$oft's repair process. I waited 4 days for my return label to be emailed, called them again, and I was told to wait an additional 24 to 48 hours for a new email to be sent. I took the time to get the email sent by my other email addy, so hopefully it will get through this time.

So, here I wait, Xbox less as my prepaid Rock Band 2 looms in the very near future.

I hope they get this straightened out, because playing Rock Band 2 at a freinds house is not what I planned on doing when I got it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That sucks bro. You could always try the cooking it so it restarts and you don't get an RROD anymore. There's a youtube vid on it, I'm sure you can find it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That sucks bro. You could always try the cooking it so it restarts and you don't get an RROD anymore. There's a youtube vid on it, I'm sure you can find it.
It only works for a few days, then you need to cook it again with the towel trick. I would rather not have the two solid red lights and have to pay for the repair, as I'm still under warranty for the three red lights.

If it's still here when Rock Band 2 comes out, I'm definately going to cook it to play it, lol.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats weird, both times ive had to send my 360 they just mailed me a box to put it in.

very very quickly too i might add, then just drop it off at the nearest fedex/ups place and your good to go. got my last one back in about a week after dropping it off, I was very impressed with it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh snap.

My brother's 360 just got the Red Ring of Death today and he tried the towel method. It worked for now, but I don't know how long it will last. ****ing Mercenaries 2 is right around the corner. How long will it take to have Microsoft repair/send my brother a new one?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
took me less than an hour to recieve the return label via email, and took about 4 days for them to confirm a replacement had been sent. so no complaints here on there service. it then took 3 weeks for the courier to actually decide to ship it from there warehouse mind...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
man I still have my super nintendo.. thing is mad old.

and here you have people who are using their third 360..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My red ring took 2 weeks on the dot.

Wasn't that bad.

That sucks though, I'm sorry to hear ;\

I got my red ring on Dream On, the weekend it came out, so I couldn't download it :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use the towel method, it's completely idiotic, and it might work for a short time frame but you are only corrupting your Xbox 360 even further.

Send it to Microsoft, they will get it fixed, my brother sent his last month and his has been working flawlessly ever since.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you buy an xbox, can you just send it off straight away so this **** doesn't happen at an inconvenient time?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
warren, the fix isn't permanent... It can happen at any time, even if you've already sent it for repairs. They just replace what breaks.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Going to call for them to mail me the damn box instead. Apparently emailing a label is too difficult.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
warren, the fix isn't permanent... It can happen at any time, even if you've already sent it for repairs. They just replace what breaks.
So they replace the broken bit, with another bit that will break?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main fault in xboxes is the use of poor solder with large amounts of air pocketing due to rushed work, resulting in failiure under the amount of heat generated, or the fact the actual mobo bends and deforms until solder pops off under heat, hence all this cooking and using wet towels to reconnect the solder works in the short term, until it reheats and pops out yet again.

The replaced parts have a vastly reduced failiure rate though. i recall the first gen having somthing silly like a 70% failiure rate, while the new gen parts bring this down to a musty 20-30%. still absolutely horrific for a console, but better than nothing. plus its fun to get "upgrades" on a yearly basis, mines been in 4 times now and has a new disk drive, new front plate, quieter fans and new technical gubbinz!. sounds like good free service to me!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now I'm being told that my Rural address is not verifiable by UPS. That is making me utterly angry due to the fact that I had it shipped here by UPS through New Egg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom