The Last Airbender Teaser

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DvLUrF3ItGQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DvLUrF3ItGQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have very low anticipations for this movie. Might I add that his air bending looks like steam or smoke, rather than just pure wind.

The trailer looks decent, but I want the movie to completely impress me, I'm a little disgruntled about what happened to Dragon Ball, then again that's an anime, The Avatar is a western series, not to mention two different people are directing both movies.

More than anything I was wondering how they were going to do Appa, I would imagine computer animation. Also, if they mess up Sokka they mess up the movie. Sokka is one hilarious chap, he needs to have the right actor who will match his personality.

Wind is pretty much invisible, but I guess visually, steam fits the bill, otherwise it would look awkward, it looks like a Dragon Ball blast that would be invisible.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wind is pretty much invisible, but I guess visually, steam fits the bill, otherwise it would look awkward, it looks like a Dragon Ball blast that would be invisible.
Goku, Cell, Uub, and many more use invisible blasts known as Kiai. :p

But Wow, I was expecting this and here it is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha illustrated backgrounds/landscapes for movies. I love it when I can spot them. It would have worked a lot better without the fireballs, but hey it's a teaser, so I am not gonna ride it for that.

The air bending looks fine to me. At least he doesn't shoot one blast for the entire movie :p. I never really watched Avatar, but I wanted to. Just never knew when it came on.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Definitely gonna watch this.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There'll be no comparison between this and Dragonball Evolution. For one thing, it's being done by Paramount, and not Fox, who has shown themselves to be the worst serious film production company in Hollywood.

For another thing, the casting looks pretty damn good. Aang looks spot on, despite inane reasoning about some of the race of some of the characters by others. And that's considering this is an American made show, and that the creators of Avatar have been on-set working with M. Night on this, which likely means they'll have passed off on most of the creative and casting decisions. It's not like Dragonball, where Asian casting was preferred, which led to controversy. Since the creators accept the casting, it doesn't matter. Aang struck me as white anyway, and there's no reason to think that a world dominated by oriental culture wouldn't have a place in it for Caucasians. This is definitely a rare case where all the foreign fans who decry the film as a "whitewash" can suck it.

Plus, unlike Dragonball, this film seems to have enough confidence in it that it's actually being advertised a year before it's release, and within the previews of a blockbuster (Transformers 2) that is a forgone conclusion, and also being released in the Summer during the blockbuster movie season. Whereas, DBE was tossed to the side in the dead Spring season, and almost not advertised at all.

Not to mention just from this small preview that it seems like the film has managed to capture the scale and feel of the Avatar Universe, being that it is grand and exotic.

I'm really impressed that this kid is capable of the acrobatic martial arts necessary for the role. He seems to nail the fluidity of movement. Not to mention the airbending effects look superb. The smoke we see when he snuffs out the candles is FROM the flames being put out. And sure, we shouldn't be able to SEE the gusts of air, but I think we can understand why they would give slight visualizations. It would look a might bit cheesy for the kid to wave his hands and stick only to have things fly backwards Jedi style. Tying his actions to something we can sorta' make out has a more powerful effect, and I think it's a fair artistic license, especially since that's essentially what was done in the series.

I wasn't totally sure about this film, but it's shaping up to be more what you'd hope for than Dragonball Evolution ever was, and it only pisses me off that everyone compares "animation to live action" films like this to DBE now since they all expect them to fall as flat on their face as it did.

Hopefully with this film, faith will be restored in such things. And not that it's any consolation, but Fox allegedly has been heard to be planning on rebooting the Dragonball film series due to how badly DBE did, with at LEAST a new director. It means little to me, being that it's still "20th Century FAIL" behind it, but at least it might mean they're willing to admit that they screwed fans of the series and crippled the anticipation for any animation to live action film for years to come by this example.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It actually looks kind of good. My only question is why the frak is M. Night directing it? It would be funny if there was some stupid twist at the end.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In b4 M.Night twist where Aang gets frozen in the beginning like he did in the series, but everything that happens afterword happens to be a dream and he's actually still frozen in suspended animation.

:p

It looks good. I know better than to expect a perfect transition to the silver screen. What I am hoping for is awesome fight choreography and complimentary special FX.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will just be another FX-driven tribute... as always.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will just be another FX-driven tribute... as always.
I do hope for decent acting and story, given the source material, but I really do not mind movies that focus heavily on the CGI. To me, films like that are just as legitimate as movies to likes of Revolutionary Road if the effects are pulled off with quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom