The Job Thread

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unemployed.

Getting your first job is SO ****ing hard. No employers give a **** about you unless you have job experience.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unemployed.

Getting your first job is SO ****ing hard. No employers give a **** about you unless you have job experience.
Isn't that the greatest?

"I can't hire unless you have experience in a job that I won't hire you to give you the experience you need."

It's all about who you know or being good at kissing ass... unless you just say '**** it' and join the military.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm working at a company called Acuren for the next 7 months as a work term for engineering. They do materials engineering and non-destructive testing, and for the moment I'm working as a lab tech in their polishing lab, but I'll be moving around to see different things as time goes on. $21/hr *****es.

Unemployed.

It's not that bad, just realize you're likely going to be starting at the bottom. Washing dishes or flipping burgers probably isn't what you'd like to be doing, but you can use it as a stepping stone to get some experience and a good reference for future jobs.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I work as a security guard in a pub just out from the city.

It's not a big place (max team of 4 guards) and I'm the supervisor :)

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is that bad. I've applied to (nearly) every store in my local area and a bit farther. Not one has called me back :<
Go up there and ask if they've considered you.

The more you bug, the more they see how serious you are.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go up there and ask if they've considered you.

The more you bug, the more they see how serious you are.
True. Between two people with the same education, and same experience (none?), the guy who wants it more will always get it. Unless the employers are retarded.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I work for Weiler Corporation, the largest domestic manufacturer of industrial abrasives. I currently work as the Production Trainer on my shift/dept, the lowest level of supervisor.

Ah the fun of being the middle guy.

Best answers
At the moment I'm doing freelance webdesign and designing flyers/posters. I make some nice money with this to get through college (finished a €500 website a few months ago).

The major upside of this and my college-work is that I gain experience for my portfolio, so employers can't ***** about lack of experience.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Truck Driver. I got my A-Z license when I was 19 to drive Semi-tractor trailers cause I didn't feel like wasting money on college when I wasn't sure if I wanted to actually do anything then just driving cause thats what I love to do most.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Civil engineer. designing your buildings, highways and pewppipes to a mufftastic standard!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do chores around the house.
No more Subway? =P

edit:
Unemployed.

Weird. When I went to get my first job, I applied to three places, got accepted at all three. If any of your friends have jobs, just ask them to vouch for you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will hopefully be getting one this following summer.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I work at Subway. It's not a bad gig, I work at the student center in CSU so I get to see a lot of cute girls come through line and we're one of the few campuses with a bar in the student center. We often give the girls working there cookies for free beer. We get free energy drinks and pizza the same way, haha.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
HL2Files, Crosus & ESF. I only get paid for Crosus :p.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Work at the local Regal/Edwards movie theater as a theater checker. I count heads, make sure people are non-disruptive, ensure the movie is playing properly and such. Quality managment, basically. At $8 per hour, it's not doing too badly right now. Plus, being a moviegoer, it helps that I get two free passes to any film, per shift I work. No discount on concessions though...cheap bastards...in leaguq with Disney, I suspect :D

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
while training to be a nurse I pay my bills with my job as a gas station clerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom