The good, the bad, and the ugly

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After playing a lot of the beta, it looks like 1.3 is shaping up pretty well. There are still some things I'd like to talk about though. So here's my review of the current 1.3 work in progress.

The Good
1) Dashing - While it's a little hard to get used to now due to being used to 1.2, I like how I'm able to double-tap to simply begin the dashing, then single-tap to change directions. Also, the ki drain on changing directions is a little much, but for good reason.

2) Swooping - Ah, the original swoop, only in turbo charged mode. Personally, I like it. If nothing else, it looks cool. I'm hust glad it's still there in some form.

3) Turbo charge - I was very worried about this feature, but it seems to be doing well. Luckilly the max power of charged turbo only lasts a few seconds and rapidly goes down, so spamming at max power doesn't seem all that possible. Very nice effects with it as well.

4) Frieza - My my did Frieza get an upgrade or what? Playing in the new city, one of my favorite things to do was abuse the new telekenesis. The range on it is great. Chuck a train from any ditance without being seen. The only thing I'm dissappointed with is that killing someone with one of those things only says I killed with Model #so-and-so or something. I hope to see "Kagato kills ESFn00b with Train" in the future. Also, finger laser got an upgrade as well! Not as much ki loss is seems. Huzzah! Fingerlaser rave party! *shoots everywhere.* Finally, deathball. I'm glad that deathball, though one of my favorite attacks, got a bit more balanced in later Frieza forms (well, at least form 3. I haven't tested form 4 yet). I was wondering why I couldn't move while charging the deathball for the longest time. While it's not exactly true to the show since he can move while charging it in all forms, this shows a lot more balance and doesn't make frieza too overpowered (much to my dismay...*cough*). So I'm very happy with a lot of the changes he has.

5) Maps and Graphics - Everything looks Very sharp. The sprites and maps look amazing and is far better than anything I could see myself doing right now. Your spriters must be very proud of themselves. And the map of the City was very well done. It may not be as big as our current one, and we can't fly above the towers, but it looks very DBZ-ish. SATAN-O's! OOOOOH!

6) Knockback - 1.1 knockback is back! Well, maybe not as fast, but I don't remember how fast it was, but 1.3's is certainly faster than 1.2's. Makes basic melee a lot harder, but a lot more fun.

The Bad
1) Drifting - While I'm sure we can get used to not having it, I'm a little dissappointed that I can't use drifting to get around anymore. While dashing and swooping, I keep trying to do it and fail. I'm just too used to it, and maybe I'm just missing something or it'll be changed or something, but I really do miss being able to do this.

2) "Invincibility time" - In 1.2, when characters rebound off of walls or the floor, they usually have about 1 second of invincibility time to prevent from being slammed back into the wall the second they rebound off. From what I've noticed so far, there's little to no invincibility time from this. I was against a buu bot, and the second he rebounded off the wall, I was able to slam him right back, pretty much locking him. I'm sure the same would happen to rebounding off the ground as well. This could cause a lot of abusing.

3) Android 18 - I'm not sure if it hasn't been coded yet or if she just wont have one, but 18 doesn't seem to have any special attacks. I really hope she gets at least one.

The Ugly
1) Rolling - I see the rolling glitch is still there, but it seems even worse now. In 1.2, you had to swoop at the opponent at a specific time while he's rolling in order to hit him again. I've noticed that I don't even have to swoop or dash. Just hold right-click and stay up on him. I tried this with buu and hit him a good few times like this. This is one of the most evil issues in 1.2 right now and I hope something is done about it.

2) Stamina - If the second Ki bar is Stamina, then I really hope it becomes more dependant. Not much seems to affect Stamina from what I've seen during casual play. I saw it drop by, like, 25 points a few times, but raise right back up in a split second. I just don't see stamina doing much right now, so hopefully it'll do more in the final version.

I'm well aware that this is still WIP and I'm sure some of these issues have been addressed and are still being worked on, but I feel that I needed to say something about it anyway just in case. If the bad and the ugly are already being addressed as we speak, then great! Just read the good stuff!

Overall - I like where 1.3 is going. I'll continue to mess around with it and try and come across any bugs and such that hasn't been found already.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
currently stamina affects teleporting.. you can essentially teleport as much as you want with not much delay but the quicker the tele, the more drain.. stamina damage also occurs when u receive damage, as a cushion to absorb.. stamina will also affect some attacks too to not have them spammable i believe

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember that drifting wasn't a feature last I checked, just a bug that everyone seemed to like. Dumping it seems to kinda be a neccesity under the new system. Besides, kinda lame to be able to fly across the map and not have to pay Ki to do it :p The whole point of charged turbo swoop is travelling to the other side of the map and low ki cost (and I think some kind of power hit move is planned, but I forget). As for the wall thing and rolling...it's being worked on :p I'm sure hars will eventually fix it. And yeah, A18 should be getting....something *looks at masta* ;P

Best answers
Logans post sums up what I expected for 1.3, but it's still a damn fun way to play

One other thing, fix the floating tree in Namek, it's annoying =/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember that drifting wasn't a feature last I checked, just a bug that everyone seemed to like. Dumping it seems to kinda be a neccesity under the new system. Besides, kinda lame to be able to fly across the map and not have to pay Ki to do it :p The whole point of charged turbo swoop is travelling to the other side of the map and low ki cost (and I think some kind of power hit move is planned, but I forget). As for the wall thing and rolling...it's being worked on :p I'm sure hars will eventually fix it. And yeah, A18 should be getting....something *looks at masta* ;P
A bug? Drifting was an integral part of melee, and made it so you didn't have to charge every damn second =/. It is one of those things that would be better off in the game, especially now that higher transformations have increased ki drain.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A bug? Drifting was an integral part of melee, and made it so you didn't have to charge every damn second =/. It is one of those things that would be better off in the game, especially now that higher transformations have increased ki drain.
Agreed. I miss this most in this 1.3 version.
And... "Besides, kinda lame to be able to fly across the map and not have to pay Ki to do it" Then why not just charge a generic beam and beam jump across the map... it's the same thing.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's called emergent gameplay. The players find out something that the designers never intended, but it becomes a huge part of the game. A good example of this is rocket jumping (I think that's the name of it) in Quake. To take out drifint would be a huge mistake, imo, you basically get rid of the majority of the ways to conserve ki.

Best answers
A18 doesn't have any unique characteristics from the show?

Ki usage for instance

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It hasn't been added yet Sutek. Think, Mcfly, it's Open Beta(first stage--indefinite).

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Remember that drifting wasn't a feature last I checked, just a bug that everyone seemed to like. Dumping it seems to kinda be a neccesity under the new system. Besides, kinda lame to be able to fly across the map and not have to pay Ki to do it :p The whole point of charged turbo swoop is travelling to the other side of the map and low ki cost (and I think some kind of power hit move is planned, but I forget).
FYI I'm on strike untill drifting is back. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A18 doesn't have any unique characteristics from the show?

Ki usage for instance
Oh yeah, she had infinite ki, didn't she? I remember that. But it wouldn't be fair to put that in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom