The future (The need for no more mouses and keyboards)

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I watched this video and I was amazed what this Jeff Han has developed and I believe this screen alone will make the keyboards and mouses absolete and put more control with the users instead of trying to using a clunky mouse to do things. I'm just curious how much a unit would cost if they do release this.

What are your opinions on this interface-free, touch-driven computer screen?

Click here

I also suggest to take a look around that site you might find some other interesting things that might amaze you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa, that was freaking awesome. x:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its sooo old.... i actually like that.

but its soo old.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This will never replace the keyboard/mouse fully--not everyone wants to sit with a screen right in their face (nearsightedness, anyone? Everyone above the age of 40 starts suffering from it.)

Not to mention the difficulty in stretching out your arms to type on the screen, and the impossibility of playing certain games.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
This will never replace the keyboard/mouse fully--not everyone wants to sit with a screen right in their face (nearsightedness, anyone? Everyone above the age of 40 starts suffering from it.)

Not to mention the difficulty in stretching out your arms to type on the screen, and the impossibility of playing certain games.
I'd say more like the impossibility of playing any game.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't say it would be right in your face it probably would be more like playing one of those old pac man games only on a bit of an angle.

About the games doesn't the Nintedo DS have you play with the stylist for some games? So no its not impossible to play games its just going to make companies think of ways to work with it. Also using your own fingers is more precise then using a stylist I would think. Really though I don't think this is made for games but more for programs like photoshop/word/etc...

The only problem I see is having to clean all the fingerprints off the screen everyday but who knows maybe they will design something so we won't have to worry about that.

Best answers
It would be nice if we could bring virtual reality games to the home market. Maybe sell a body suit with strategic sensors in it, and the like, and a VR helmet to show you what you're supposed to see. But the gamers would need to be placed in some kind of holding aparatus to ensure they don't actually run into the wall and the like.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was cool, but it will never replace mice. It's too impractical.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:

Yes, because the current form of this technology which we saw in the clip is the exact same form we'll all be using it in in 10 years time. There will be no improvements, screens will not come in different sizes, and people will not be able to sit at their desks while working with this technology, allowing them to type without stretching their arms out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it were affordable, I'd buy one. Just think of SupCom on it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Yes, because the current form of this technology which we saw in the clip is the exact same form we'll all be using it in in 10 years time. There will be no improvements, screens will not come in different sizes, and people will not be able to sit at their desks while working with this technology, allowing them to type without stretching their arms out.
The technology in it's current form isn't viable, so saying THAT will never replace the keyboard and mouse is perfectly understandable. If they're updating it and changing it, then it isn't the same product we've just seen.

That said, I'd rather use a keyboard and mouse.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think we'll all end up using something similar to what they use in Minority Report, which is a sort of glove with special sensors at the fingertips. Using it, they can quickly manipulate information on a screen by waving their hands in front of it in similar ways that this screen works - move your hands outward to expand, inward to contract, etc.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm hoping if we make it to the "Minority Report" era, our minds will be controlling a lot of our technology. I don't see why paralyzed people should have all the fun (I realize paralysis is not fun).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't believe the Keyboard and Mouse are going anywhere soon, but alternative input devices will come and go.

Best answers
Keyboard & Mouse will stay for a much longer time. This to me maybe temporary as said before.

The closest thing (but still very far) to replacing the keyboard imo is where you talk into a mic and words come up on the screen instead of typing them.

The mouse is almost irriplaceable to my knowledge.. the only thing you can do is modify it to make it more effective... taking different paths to replace it is a waste of time and money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing with a mouse is, it works only in 2D. You can only move it along length and width, but no depth, whereas this new technology also allows pressure-sensing and multiple finger-inputs at the same time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
The thing with a mouse is, it works only in 2D. You can only move it along length and width, but no depth, whereas this new technology also allows pressure-sensing and multiple finger-inputs at the same time.
That's still 2D. It's just fancy 2D.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just think though with photoshop and using this screen the precise accuracy you can get with moving your own fingers to lets say cutting out an image. I'm sorry but I can't do that with my mouse very accurately and I think I could control my own fingers knowing where their going and not some stupid rectacle on my screen which if I move my mouse the wrong way I have to start all over again.

This technology gives you a more user friendly interface too I believe because to turn pictures you either need to go into some of the tool bars click here then click there and you get what you want, with this you just turn it with your fingers so it would be less time consuming way of doing things. Your still going to have to go into your tool bars to access different things more then likely but for the most common tasks it will take less clicking and dragging if need be.

As for the keyboard if you saw it was something out of the minority report. He brought it up on screen and was able to type with it and also able to choose the size he wanted the keyboard to be. This will lead to not being constrained by the size that the manufacturers design for their keyboards.

Well those are my thoughts anyways so lets keep this discussion going its getting really good.

*Edit*

After watching that clip shows it would be possible to play games and if you noticed he was sitting down well doing all the motions so you won't have to worry about standing up. The voice recognition though I thought was interesting and for that type of game worked very well. This just further leads me to believe that eventually the mouse and keyboard will become not necessary I won't say obsolete just yet though but thats my opinion anyways.

Well looking at the WC3 video I found a more in depth video of the one I linked in my first post so check out the things this thing can do close up.

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fcKwelEayw&NR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom