The Future Of Gaming?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a brick wall coming, and its the wall of graphics. With the way we're going now, during the next decade or so we will have almost photo-real graphics, which cannot be advanced any further.

So what else is there?

• MASSIVE Online Multiplayer. I mean, imagine Battlefield 2142, or Enemy Territory. 64 Players max, right? Now imagine that game, with 600 vs 600. It's all about tactics on a large scale. Getting 600 tards to listen could be a problem though.
  • Zero lag. Technically impossible, but you can dream right?
  • Longer campaigns, more focus on subtle details. Since we've hit that wall, developers wont brag their GFX and will brag their innovations.
Now add your own!

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Multiple players play the same campaign? (E.g Entire Quake 4 team)
*Ultra realistic (Cannot reload, climb a ladder and defuse a bomb whilst speaking)
*Coding becomes so easy you can make your own features.
*Lip sync?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1-to-1 control. Think virtual-reality - what you do is instantly translated to in-game motions or actions.

Incredibly sophisticated AI that works with you, or against you.

Massive worlds with fully interactive creatures and environments.

Real-time environmental changes, produced by things as a day-night cycle, weather, seasons, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You Play from a Hologram keyboard, mouse and u have a "80 hologram monitor.

No more chatting with keyboard, everybody talks with mic.
Games are Real looking and ultra realistic.
Everything happens from a click of a button..

@ 2050 u cant use computer, from my opinion

is it just me, or does this new technology bother u too?
i just dont like the idea that everything is super easy to do, and u dont need any skills to use computer :/

Best answers
-Ultra high developed AI where NPC's can actually answer to your stubid questions you want to ask. (Not choosing one answer from couple of options)
-High developed Physics Engine something that can simulate Water, Electricity, Big Boobs and Temperature(Water freezing things together).

If i think up more ill add them later...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Joint Operations has larger support for multiplayer, 75 on 75 for a total of 150 players on 50 square kilometer maps. Trust me, the organized players on TS really shine when they smack down the "pubbies" as their called. I watched Instant Impact, probably the second best all time squad in JO decimate the Orange bowl with 32 of their team members stacked on the Joint Operations team. They took all 22 bases of the Straights of Malacca Map, a feat I have never seen repeated. With that many players, vehicle resources get strained, and if one team is being unwise with them, it gets difficult to win. Squad Commanders can only do so much, and having too big of a team doesn't help. 600 on 600 would be insane, I couldn't imagine how much more hectic it could get than what 150 players already is.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Die for real if you die in an action game, cant get any more realistic then that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
  • Longer campaigns, more focus on subtle details. Since we've hit that wall, developers wont brag their GFX and will brag their innovations.
That's all I'd be hoping for. Games are fun when they're games, not thinly-veiled tech demos showing off flashy graphics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
  • Zero lag. Technically impossible, but you can dream right
Now add your own!
You know, it's worth noting that outside of trying to play CnC Generals Online, I haven't gotten lag in several years. Reading this made me realize just how insane that fact is!

I hope that in the future when games hit a point of high realism, they will reel back and revert to more stylized art types so that games will look more different from one another.

I don't know. if you'd have told me ten years ago we'd have a CONSOLE that could play online with voice chat in almost all of it's games I would've never believed it. But then again the future is coming faster than we think: flat panel TVs, not even ten years ago, were just something you saw on Star Trek....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Online gaming that performs like an actual RPG. Actual battlefield screens, battle music, and a storyline with voiced cutscenes and amazing visuals.

So far, FFXI has made this dream half true. I can;t wait for the future.

Best answers
Well, for the lag free part, that's a really difficult thing to address. Half of the problem is the architecture of the internet itself. It's all based on nodes and supernodes. And it typically takes the same route everytime to get toward the destination computer, rather than dynamically connecting to the shortest set of computers. Likewise, it would help if a developer would send all data in binary form, rather than data-type packets. Mind you, these would still not remove lag entirely.

But there's already a solution made towards high-fidelity physics. PhysX. It's developed by Ageia, and it's a hardware solution. Also called a PPU (Physics processing unit), it works together with the CPU and GPU to create improved graphics, as well as make it easier to create things like fully destructible environments. For more info, check out Ageia PhysX.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPride: By zero lag, i meant from one country to another, joining the communities together and eliminating the boundary between countries and download speeds.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Graphics... Well you can have the most graphically demanding engine, But what about everything else? AI, Sound, Physics? And at the moment Graphics I find are still rather cartoony of sorts, but it has improved over the past 10 years. (Substantially!). What I would love is that Instead of having all these add-in cards like Physics processors in such, why not start putting dual/multi-core processors to good use? And even if we hit the wall with graphics, there are many different ways of implementing those, For instance, you could have your "Real-life" graphics, graphics like Ice Age, Or cell shading . And its impossible to have "No Latency" Latency is the time it takes for data to travell. Everything electronic has "Latency" Even your new super dupa Intel Conroe! Or your Quad Sli Geforce! Your Monitor that you watch things on. And longer campaignes will come, So far Final Fantasy games seem to be having the better longer campaignes out of most games, And we dont need more "Subtle" details, StarCraft for instance is one of THE most popular games of all time, And its also one of the simplest games around, because it is well balanced, takes thinking, and the controls are down packed. And yet it doesnt have the best graphics in the world.

Just my 2 cents.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The ability to incorporate special powers from games like for example from esf+evm to go ssj3 :D and kick other ppls but witch are mario :laff:
PS:at girls big boobs should be by default

Best answers
bapplebo said:
[*]Zero lag. Technically impossible, but you can dream right?
Dont know about the impossible part:
The team, which included folks from AMD (Quote), Cisco (Quote), Microsoft Research, Newisys, and S2io, transferred 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes. It did so at a rate of 6.63 gigabits per second (define) between the CERN facility in Geneva, Switzerland, and Caltech in Pasadena, Calif., a distance of more than 15,766 kilometers, or approximately 9,800 miles
Source: http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3403161

What kind of games you have to play to get lag on 6.63Gb/s internet connection?

Best answers
As a comparison, some game servers have 1000GB/s, but they still have lag between end-users. It's still difficult to mitigate lag, because like I mentioned previously, the internet is a series of nodes and super nodes. The internet connection remains a constant, and does not re-optimize itself when a shorter path becomes possible.

See, that's the problem. With the technological advances we make, a lot of developers don't see a need for things like optimization. And thus, bigger and better hardware becomes a necessity, rather than a luxury.

I suppose this line holds the most water at that point:
Instant gratification -- hooray for moral decadence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom