The Fastest Days

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a Sunday morning and I'm casually browsing around my games folder wondering which game to install while waiting for my laundry. And my eyes hit my old backup ESF DVD with tons of previous versions and inteam builds. I look at it and go like, "Hmm :O". I put in the DVD and install HL-WON and then beta 1.0. I also discover a lot of old demos, which got me remininscing. I then noticed some dueling demos and logged onto the ESF forums to search for an ancient thread, and found it: -link- (dated May 22 2003). I looked at the demos and wanted to share my thoughts with everyone in the community, at how much fun something so very simple can be. Beta 1.2 is technically an improvement on 1.0/1.1, however because there was a loss of speed in gameplay (that's right, loss of speed relative to what people had been so used to), old school players just couldn't seem to find the same amount of fun in 1.2.x advanced melee. So I turned on fraps, recorded the demos, hit a few snazzy effects in Windows Movie Maker, and finally uploaded the video to filefront. Now that's a good 2 hours wasted on a Sunday, isn't it? ^_^; I feel like a proper **** making a video out of something so old, but meh - it's okay to do things on impulse sometimes.

Click here for mirrors (71.69 MB).

However, if someone played 1.2 first and then downgraded to 1.0 they would be appalled. The above applies only to people who played the previous versions. So watch the video, and tell me: do you agree that speed and fast gameplay is what made 1.0/1.1 the best versions for a lot of players? In my opinion, yes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If this video includes our very first fight, grOOvy, someone's gonna die =P. I'll edit when I've watched.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
If this video includes our very first fight, grOOvy, someone's gonna die =P. I'll edit when I've watched.
Afraid not ^_^, the video contains the following in order:
- Two random combos (beta 1.0)
- Duel with me vs Bio Brolly (beta 1.0)
- Duel with me vs GoldenSaiyan (beta 1.1)
- Optional doing beam-jumping in the credits (beta 1.1)

You will notice the decline in how fast players play between 1.0 and 1.1, since a lot of people HOW'd ["HOW" (c) Halorin] in 1.1 gameplay slowed down a bit. Beta 1.0 still remains my favourite.

By the way, check out 5:15-5:30 in the video - it's because of THAT why a delay was implemented between consecutive teleporting in 1.2's release.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=/ Its in first person.

Ah well, that brings back some memories.

edit: About 5:15 - 5:30 in the video... I see how it’s cheap that they can do that, but I play 1.2 everyday almost... And I can't even dream of playing that fast anymore. Was it really a benefit slowing down the gameplay so much and overall making the game less enjoyable just for something as trivial as that? Surely the team could have come up with something better rather than punishing everyone else who didn't script.

But yeah, that demo was truely awesome. This should be posted on the main page or stickied or something, just to remind people what 1.1 was like.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kinda funny. Just last night I was helping a friend install 1.1 so he could try it out.

The speed, the responsiveness of the controls, and the smoothness of the game made me love 1.1. If 1.3 has at least 2 of the 3 mentioned, I'll be the happiest little monkey ever.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard the knock back was fast back then, but damn o_O

Best answers
You do the same thing i do and constantly press the tab button FOR NO REASON AT ALL...god i love you

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still dont see why there was a delay. We're doing the same things, just at a much slower speed. And the combos looked better in 1.0/1.1.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those were some fun days. Even if i was behind a 56k modem and all. I kinda miss the good old 1.1 fast fights. But sadly its to fast for me now. I gotten ussed to the slowness of 1.2 And when trying 1.1 against bots i play like **** >.>

Best answers
I say yes as well, I think the fast gameplay is what made 1.0/1.1 a lot of fun.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
=/ Its in first person.

Ah well, that brings back some memories.

edit: About 5:15 - 5:30 in the video... I see how it’s cheap that they can do that, but I play 1.2 everyday almost... And I can't even dream of playing that fast anymore. Was it really a benefit slowing down the gameplay so much and overall making the game less enjoyable just for something as trivial as that? Surely the team could have come up with something better rather than punishing everyone else who didn't script.

But yeah, that demo was truely awesome. This should be posted on the main page or stickied or something, just to remind people what 1.1 was like.
The team didn't slow down the speeds because of scripting, it was done to make room for increased speeds in higher transformed/ascended forms in 1.3. Imagine if the base speed now remained the same as what it was in 1.1, then by the time you reach super saiyan 3 - the speed would be too high for normal gameplay on the Half-Life engine. So don't worry about it, you might experience such fast speeds once again after all - wait for beta 1.3 to release.

Sarutobi Sensei said:
You do the same thing i do and constantly press the tab button FOR NO REASON AT ALL...god i love you
Haha, yea it's a silly habit. >_>'

add

Force Pit Member
Best answers
^_^ the good old days of 1.0 ahhh how they were fun groovy XD but you didnt have me fighting in any of that ;_; just standing there in the background on that bloody rock -_-. Saiyan Legend FTW! thats meh btw :O

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
you cool guy saiyan legend.... !

meh i remember that bio demo, it was good back then and its aged like wine now

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved that video, I pretty much started playing a few months before 1.2's release. Fast gameplay, tight, responsive controls, no hit cap. Ah, nostalgia. I wouldn't have lasted five seconds in a match like that o_O

nge

Best answers
If 1.1 had 1.2's flight system, it be pretty close to flawless (gameplay wise)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, i'm not the only one that constantly presses the tab button ^.^
Even when no one is in the server I do it >.<

The one thing I miss most about 1.1 was the combo's. God there is nothing like those combos. They just plain kick ass.

Knock them towards the ground>teleport to them, kock them up, teleport three times up, knock them back down, if you are ssj repeat for a 6 hit combo. And if you're fast enough and the person has enough health, recharge your ki, and do it all over again!

God I miss that, I did a 14 hit combo once. SSJ goku, and amx_heal was all i needed :)
Any of you who played 1.1 get higher than 14? I think it was the leader of [SyNw] clan that did a higher combo than me. We were just ****ing around. Dragpwngodz was it?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He was just Dragpwn in-game, I believe. You can also thank me for getting you into the clan <_<.

I didnt really get to do too many combos cause of the 56k problem, but swooping and side hits were my specialty.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
He was just Dragpwn in-game, I believe. You can also thank me for getting you into the clan <_<.

I didnt really get to do too many combos cause of the 56k problem, but swooping and side hits were my specialty.
Yeah I sucked during that time because I didn't know of OpenGL. I was using software mode (i was dumb) because I didn't know about different video settings- so I got 30 fps constant. Then Dragpwn told me about openGL and 100 fps constant from then on. Then I didn't suck anymore yay! Which is why I have such a thing with anything below 72 fps. I get pissed :(

I remember that try out too. I lost so bad. It was that arena that dj ready made I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) then you guys talked it over and said okay only because Zeo was in the clan lol.

Something i'm also fond of telling people. The first person I ever fought was grOOvy. I lost so bad.

And I remember meeting Zeo under the name Chris109 >.> F U zeo. F-U

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom