The Debate Regarding Using References From Others to Model- Please Read Everyone

Do I Have a Point or What?

• Yes! You're Absolutely right!

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • No! You're Horribly Wrong!

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • What You Say Hold's Some Depth.......

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if you must know, we've arrived at a solution for the time being.

Majin_You said:
I personally feel that we just need to reassurt the old rule - credits for pics, permission for releases, this really isn't that much different from what we've dealt with in the past. This is, in a way, still editing a model, you arrive at a similar product with a change in the method. Instead of physically getting the model and altering it, a person is eye-balling it and remaking it/altering it that way.
This is how any models edits were treated, and this is how they will reamin treated, no additions to any rules will be made.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
personally i think people are free to do as they like, as long as it doesnt affect others, so the modelers that dont want their stuff to be used as a ref should say so, and let the actual modeler decide what should happen, people are free to say what they would like to happen rather than it being pressured on them by a hierarchy

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
davidskiwan said:
people are free to say what they would like to happen rather than it being pressured on them by a hierarchy
I don't believe we've ever pressured people to do anything. The rules in this section are not meant to, and from what I know, never have prevented people from expressing what they want to say. It just points out where the editor got his base model/idea from.

Best answers
In general, I think it IS good to give credits to the people whose work you've used. However, forcing people to give credits for using people's pictures could get very ugly very fast. I don't think I'm so wrong when I anticipate this. I mean, imagine... if someone's model even remotely resembles someone else's, there's infinite opportunity for debate over "Oh, you ripped my model! You stupid little..!" Yeah, you get the idea. Before, it's always been clear cut on how to identify ripping of someone else's work. The vertices match quite well. However, by introducing a rule for using even PICTURES of someone else's model to get IDEAS for your work, this could easily get out of control. I don't think that you can put your name on a good idea. This limits the creativity of everyone involved, and may thwart the creation/release of many good model ideas. And S-bolt, personally, I can understand a modeller wanting to leave because someone completely ripped their work, and gave no credits. However, any modeller that leaves because someone else's model LOOKS like theirs because of using the same PICTURES and IDEA to create it, in my opinion, left because of their own issues and noone else's. And as I pointed out earlier, the great majority of the community here seems to agree with me according to the poll. You mods said you wanted our opinion, and you have it. Now do what you will.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll start giving out warnings to people who throw out one-minded posts like "Thanks for ripping my model" from here on out. If you have a dispute with another modeler, first PM them, then, if the issue is not resolved, PM a modeling section moderator and we will handle it. Under no circumstances should you flame another author out in the open with an accusation of his stealing your work. Contact a moderator for that kind of thing.

Best answers
S-Bolt-- said:
just a quick reply: modellers has left this scene because of cases likt this, atm we have maybe 1 real modeller (who does his work from scratch, all by himself, and thats nuttzy) who we ahd before? azn, vassago, ned, turk, smo, me (forgive me if i miss some1 for both cases)
so we just want to make sure that nomore modellers will have to leave because ppl cant resist ripping

btw im pro for the idea of asking permission in order to use references by other modelers

nother thing: screencaps from the show etc are way different than flat shaded renders, with screencaps you sitll have to build the mode, when u have front and side render (flat) you can easily put the vertexes in the same place as ur reference render

I'm also pro for that idea, and s-bolt, yeah, you just might have a good point there, but in my honest opinion, some of those modelers really seemed a little too....sensitive? :rolleyes:

anyways s-bolt, sorry the flame I said in the other thread, if you even saw it.

Best answers
Why don't you all just do this make a new forum on another webpage thats not on esforums so you can do whatever you want with models?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, im against the idea of being requred to give credits for your references, buts hin carl your idea woul prettymuch piss off the modellers who make thier stuff from scratch, just to have other people rip it apart for thier own uses, and youd support that?

Best answers
nuttzy said:
well, im against the idea of being requred to give credits for your references, buts hin carl your idea woul prettymuch piss off the modellers who make thier stuff from scratch, just to have other people rip it apart for thier own uses, and youd support that?
I support that. The people who make the model from scratch have one kind of skill, and that's great. The people who take that model and make it look awesome have a different kind of skill. I look at it like an assembly line. In the end, we have a great model. None of us really care about the politics behind all of it, we just would like to play with the models. Sure, we respect people who voluntarily make models, and we pat them on the back and give them credits for making it. But that's about as far as it goes. The public could care less and doesn't even really notice when people rip off models. You get your respect from everyone, you get your credits, and you get the satisfaction that people use your models to play games and that you've done a great service. When an improvement comes out, ripped or not, we want it. New models and sounds are basically the only reason I'm still around. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if a new forum came out with no rules...

Best answers
ForeverZero said:
I support that. The people who make the model from scratch have one kind of skill, and that's great. The people who take that model and make it look awesome have a different kind of skill. I look at it like an assembly line. In the end, we have a great model. None of us really care about the politics behind all of it, we just would like to play with the models. Sure, we respect people who voluntarily make models, and we pat them on the back and give them credits for making it. But that's about as far as it goes. The public could care less and doesn't even really notice when people rip off models. You get your respect from everyone, you get your credits, and you get the satisfaction that people use your models to play games and that you've done a great service. When an improvement comes out, ripped or not, we want it. New models and sounds are basically the only reason I'm still around. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if a new forum came out with no rules...
Wow, a harsh reality, indeed. Not to mention the fact that anyone who rips the model is already classified as a ripper and is never viewed the same ever again. So technically they can get shafted even if they tried to be genuine..

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if everybody doesnt agree to the rule and it is still enforced, then its pressured onto them.... i dont understand why people dont let the modelers decide what to do, in the end its up to them....

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
zero your post summed up the enitre reason why the modellers hate the people in this community, and im one of them,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom